d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1936937938939940983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 20 2021 09:30am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 20 2021 08:01am)
It's all arbitrary at the end of the day. But 60 votes is not some impossible threshold, it was achieved not too long ago when the nation elected its first black president. Carville is right, the Democratic party has no idea how to speak to middle American anymore. Ohio and Iowa both voted for Obama, and now they're solid-red states. The Democrats need to do some soul-searching and identify what went so horribly wrong. It is not a fait accompli that these places vote Republican. But when you run exclusively on coastal and urban interests, you're going to lose a lot of elections.

What went "horribly wrong" is that conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans disappeared. IMO, it's not a bad thing that we have less ideological bleeding between the two parties but it heavily contributes to polarization. The natural course for a polarized country is to Balkanize or unite around a common enemy.

The GOP absolutely should abandon rural people when it becomes convenient to do so. Rural people are fucking useless and they hate people like YOU. YOU are too smart for THEM and they resent YOU for it. YOU are the wrong type of Christian in their eyes. They are also hardcore fiscal liberals which is a disaster for this country. For me, it's always been an uneasy relationship but they were reliable voters to enact meaningful reform.

See my response here for additional details: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=81747604&f=119&p=571036419
Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 20 2021 09:56am
Quote (thundercock @ 20 Jun 2021 17:17)
Remember, the GOP is an opposition party (even when they are the majority!) and seeks to preserve the status quo. A Republican trifecta shouldn't scare anyone because the only thing they could get done with a trifecta is tax cuts. Do you honestly think that they'd make abortion illegal if given the chance? Do you honestly think that they'd get rid of the popular aspects of Obamacare? I don't because it'd be immensely unpopular. The filibuster, in its current form, prevents the voters from accurately assessing the political parties because you can only use rhetoric instead of results. We should let political parties implement their agenda if the voters want it.

In 2017, the GOP was in the middle of an ideological and personnel-wise realignment. Their ranks still contained tons of RINOs whose position on a lot of the most salient issues was diametrically opposed to the Tea Party folks or the Trumpist populists. They couldnt get done more than tax cuts as a smallest common denominator because their caucus didn't agree on much else. Once the realignment of the recent years is finished and both parties are sorted along the new cleavages, this will change fundamentally.

There is merit to the idea of letting things cool down in the Senate which is why we should have some way of slowing down legislation. The old school filibuster fosters that mentality because if a controversial bill comes up, you can stop ALL BUSINESS in the Senate and let the American people know why it's important to shut down the Senate. Everyone knows that Strom Thurmond filibustered the Civil Rights Act because he stood for 24+ hours letting the country know how he felt. It made him accountable to his voters and the nation as a whole understood where certain political factions stood. Can you name me the Democrats and Republicans who participated in filibusters over the past 5 years? Of course not, because it's not newsworthy and there's no accountability. We should encourage people like Bernie Sanders, the least successful Jew of all time, to stand until he drops dead of a heart attack when he feels like it's necessary. It's clearly not necessary to do that for every fucking bill.

A full speaking filibuster would be horribly ageist. I still prefer my compromise of a 55 vote filibuster. This threshold also cools and slows things down, but additionally prevents a tiny majority (e.g. the current Dems with their 50+1 majority) from ramming through too many crappy "small" bills. At the same time, the 55 mark is very attainable for a party which has consistent majority support over consecutive cycles.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 20 2021 09:58am
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 20 2021 10:13am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2021 12:36am)
Wrong. The Senate allows the GOP to rein in the power of the Democrats, but it does not give them power on its own.

Uh, what? Even if we're just considering a situation where Democrats control the House and Presidency, how is complete control over committees, appointments, and legislation not power?

They only get to appoint judges/cut taxes if they also win control of other branches of government, namely the presidency/House+presidency, respectively. And winning these means that they have majority support in states/House districts representing a majority of the country. So no, Republicans can't do shit as long as they don't win majority support in some sense.

Yeah, and Democrats only get to pass most significant legislation if they win 60 senate seats. The agenda items for the Republican party fall in line with reconciliation... but it doesn't for the Democratic party. Republicans cut taxes and appoint judges.. they have almost no interest in other stuff.

If the party in power could govern unchecked as long as it wins a trifecta by the tiniest of margins, they could create too many policies and decisions that the other party cannot undo once the power flips back. And with the national balance of power becoming ever more delicate, this would be a recipe for instability and for getting stuck with lots of unpopular and/or bad bills.

First, the American people deciding to give the Presidency, House, and Senate to one party is a mandate to govern. Second, I don't know how legislation is impossible to undo, unless you mean that when Democrats pass something, it ends up politically unfeasible to repeal it(like Obamacare). And that's sort of the point... if it's hard politically to repeal, the American people approve of it. Finally, there's no reason to think that a 51 vote requirement means a political party can reshape the government in a couple years. Democrats don't have 50 votes for a lot of their agenda, even though they hold 50 Senate seats. Trump couldn't even repeal Obamacare while needing 50 Republican votes and holding the Senate.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 20 2021 10:16am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2021 08:56am)
In 2017, the GOP was in the middle of an ideological and personnel-wise realignment. Their ranks still contained tons of RINOs whose position on a lot of the most salient issues was diametrically opposed to the Tea Party folks or the Trumpist populists. They couldnt get done more than tax cuts as a smallest common denominator because their caucus didn't agree on much else. Once the realignment of the recent years is finished and both parties are sorted along the new cleavages, this will change fundamentally.

A full speaking filibuster would be horribly ageist. I still prefer my compromise of a 55 vote filibuster. This threshold also cools and slows things down, but additionally prevents a tiny majority (e.g. the current Dems with their 50+1 majority) from ramming through too many crappy "small" bills. At the same time, the 55 mark is very attainable for a party which has consistent majority support over consecutive cycles.

You will never, ever have that kind of purity as a majority. What kind of fantasy do you live in? You live in a parliamentary democracy ffs! You should know better!

That's what it was like prior to the 1970s and we got along just fine. Look, just call a spade a spade and quit making excuses. The filibuster benefits Republicans FAR more than Democrats because it's an obstructionist tool. You would rather have the status quo than allow the progressives to have their way even if it means that your agenda is hampered. Why is it so hard to be honest?

I used to support the filibuster precisely because I feared whatever nonsense the Democrats had up their sleeve. However, it's gotten to the point where it's hampering national security and it's making the country unstable which is unacceptable. If we can't trust the voters to make accurate calls based on RESULTS, there's simply no point in having a democracy anymore. China has shown that the authoritarian model is FAR more effective and I'd rather have an authoritarian America that has global hegemony than an authoritarian China that has global hegemony. It's time to shit or get off the pot.
Gold: 14,569.69
Jun 20 2021 10:32am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 20 2021 08:56am)

What are R/GOP policy points with an actual plan?
Wall building- Is pretty standard for them.
Lower taxes on the rich.
Anti Abortion.
I don't see anything in here that is "we gotta beat China" No infrastructure/No Education investment/No equal pay agenda/No investment in lower paying jobs/No Healthcare plan/No "new" energy plans
I don't hear any actual policy ideas that isn't trying to revert to 1950
What else is there that a non radical person could side with on the GOP agenda.

This post was edited by theCrossbones on Jun 20 2021 10:33am
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 20 2021 11:13am
Quote (theCrossbones @ Jun 20 2021 12:32pm)
What are R/GOP policy points with an actual plan?
Wall building- Is pretty standard for them.
Lower taxes on the rich.
Anti Abortion.
I don't see anything in here that is "we gotta beat China" No infrastructure/No Education investment/No equal pay agenda/No investment in lower paying jobs/No Healthcare plan/No "new" energy plans
I don't hear any actual policy ideas that isn't trying to revert to 1950
What else is there that a non radical person could side with on the GOP agenda.

Income and public safety.
Jun 20 2021 11:44am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 20 2021 10:13am)
Income and public safety.

Ok what are the ideas to provide?
Income
Public safety
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 20 2021 05:58pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Jun 20 2021 01:44pm)
Ok what are the ideas to provide?
Income
Public safety

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/officers-resign-portland-oregon-protest-response-unit-78338082
Jun 20 2021 06:10pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 20 2021 04:58pm)

Ok… I don’t disagree, it’s BS. What is the policy to fix it
Gold: 633.87
Jun 21 2021 04:02am
Quote (thundercock @ Jun 20 2021 11:30am)
What went "horribly wrong" is that conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans disappeared. IMO, it's not a bad thing that we have less ideological bleeding between the two parties but it heavily contributes to polarization. The natural course for a polarized country is to Balkanize or unite around a common enemy.

The GOP absolutely should abandon rural people when it becomes convenient to do so. Rural people are fucking useless and they hate people like YOU. YOU are too smart for THEM and they resent YOU for it. YOU are the wrong type of Christian in their eyes. They are also hardcore fiscal liberals which is a disaster for this country. For me, it's always been an uneasy relationship but they were reliable voters to enact meaningful reform.

See my response here for additional details: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=81747604&f=119&p=571036419

I'm not sure if rural midwesterners stole your lunch as a kid, but vast tracks of the country aren't useless. And if we were making decisions based on who is most like me, we'd have to dump most of California into the sea.

I see your situation rather similarly. The left aren't your allies, or at least they certainly don't see it that way. They want your support so that they can refashion society in their image. We're all narrative building, and their narrative is exceptionally poor.

Fostering meritocracy and competition is what matters because they are tools of progress. Individuality is good, because it generates disruption and creates a resilient people. Nationalism is good for Americans, we aren't a nation constructed on race, and nationalism is the great unifier. We study the Classical and Enlightenment periods not because we're Eurocentric bigots, but because they form the bedrock of the most successful civilization in the history of our species. "Right" America agrees with me on those things, and so that's where my home must be. The correct people are not in charge, but that's what politics is for. It's our job to acquire the power to change it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1936937938939940983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll