d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Jordan Peterson Vs Slavoj Zizek > Debate Live
Prev1234567Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 23 2019 01:22pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ 23 Apr 2019 19:16)
defeated, the animal growls before tucking tail and running back to its cave

He's just a liar.

Peterson absolutely said that c16 could lead to arrests for misgendering. He also said he viewed non-binary pronouns as 'made-up'. I never said he thinks trans people's condition is made up or that he hates trans people.
Snipa's portrayal of my opinions being so base and fascile is libelous in the extreme and there's no point in engaging further when all I'll recieve is another 4 paragraphs of such monumental intellectual and practical dishonesty.
Gold: 57.00
Apr 23 2019 01:25pm
Apr 23 2019 01:27pm
Quote (IceMage @ 23 Apr 2019 19:20)
This is the Scaly that PaRD needs.

XD

Probably a bit far but the assertion that I would be as stupid as to base my opinion on someone on a YouTube hit piece is such an utter antithesis to my character and method as to be offensive in the extreme.

My opinions on Peterson - whether you agree with them or not - are backed by literally years of argumentation, research and experience. Most of which involves listening to the man himself.

This post was edited by TransTankie on Apr 23 2019 01:28pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 23 2019 01:34pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Apr 23 2019 01:22pm)
He's just a liar.

Peterson absolutely said that c16 could lead to arrests for misgendering.

What a shocking prediction, that a LAW, i think that's what they're called, could lead to arrests, correct me if i don't have this next part right, when "broken"?

and yet his actual problem with the law is language policing along subjective lines, which IF it led to arrest, would be worse than just setting the law, which devoid of arrests, is a bad thing for a govt to do. let alone spend money to do, even if they dont enforce it, like they haven't.

He also said he viewed non-binary pronouns as 'made-up'.

again, just shocked over here. how dare he say that a word that didn't exist 10 years ago that is being created to stand in for an identity that didn't previously have a label was "made up". I bet a young Xim/Xer was actually sitting under an apple tree and was struck on the head and the stars they saw said "xer" so they took it as a sign from the flying spaghetti monster that they should go with it.

i understand why you'd latch onto a few hyperbolic lines to tuck tail when these few points are inarguable, tho.

i mean you've already admitted that you're fine with authoritarian actions if it leads to "trans acceptance" so hey, what's a bit of language policing to enforce gender pronouns that were spawned by survey research less than a decade ago.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 23 2019 01:36pm
Apr 23 2019 01:37pm
Apr 23 2019 01:47pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 23 Apr 2019 19:34)
What a shocking prediction, that a LAW, i think that's what they're called, could lead to arrests, correct me if i have this next part right, when "broken"?

and yet his actual problem with hte law is language policing along subjective lines, which IF it led to arrest, would be worse than just setting the law, which devoid of arrests, is a bad thing for a govt to do. let alone spend money to do, even if they dont enforce it, like they haven't.

again, just shocked over here. how dare he say that a word that didn't exist 10 years ago that is being created to stand in for an identity that didn't previously have a label was "made up". I bet a young Xim/Xer was actually sitting under an apple tree and was struck on the head and the stars they say said "xer" so they took it as a sign from the flying spaghetti monster that they should go with it.

i understand why you'd latch onto a few hyperbolic lines to tuck tail when these few points are inarguable, tho.

i mean you've already admitted that you're fine with authoritarian actions if it leads to "trans acceptance" so hey, what's a bit of language policing to enforce gender pronouns that were spawned by survey research less than a decade ago.

Maybe you should read c16. You're making yourself look like an idiot.
The bill deals with a change to hate propaganda and hate crime legislation and in the second instance would only be applied in conjunction with another offence. I.e. it would change a charge of harassment to one of harassment based on discrimination of a protected class. Thus it wouldn't create a crime where one didn't exist previously.
The Canadian Bar Association have put it in better words than I can though so feel free to actually look at that.

Ofc non binary pronouns are made up. All words are made up. My objection is not to some apparent or imaginary queerphobia but to the vacuousness of his statement. It is typical of Peterson to make descriptive claims that are inarguably true while compiling multiple of these in a way that implies a normative claim. Then when asked if he is making that normative claim he can throw up his hands and say 'I never said that, you're misrepresenting me' and follow up with a 'but isn't it I retesting that (insert descriptive claim usually used to support a similar normative claim to the one he just refused to make here)'. This is the underhanded rhetorical strategy he uses constantly and what made Cathy Newman look so silly in the now infamous Channel 4 interview because she didn't recognise it. Again you mischaracterise me and my arguments.

The blatant hypocrisy of trying to paint me as intellectually dishonest when you make posts like this is repulsive. You should be ashamed of your conduct here.

This post was edited by TransTankie on Apr 23 2019 01:58pm
Apr 23 2019 01:47pm
Oh and he made a meme of the strawman too. How quaint.
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 23 2019 01:48pm
Won't somebody please think of the pronouns.
Apr 23 2019 02:36pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Apr 23 2019 01:47pm)
Maybe you should read c16. You're making yourself look like an idiot.
The bill deals with a change to hate propaganda and hate crime legislation and in the second instance would only be applied in conjunction with another offence. I.e. it would change a charge of harassment to one of harassment based on discrimination of a protected class. Thus it wouldn't create a crime where one didn't exist previously.
The Canadian Bar Association have put it in better words than I can though so feel free to actually look at that.

1+1=1

dear lord.

blessed as i am to be a law school drop out i'm aware of what a hate crime is. it makes 1 crime into 2, or more accurately makes a potentially ineffectual crime into a scarlet letter. hate crimes are good, when they're backed by hundreds of years of history, such as the word "nigger", which has hundreds of years of documented history in the language. as compared to "xer", which is just something made up recently, as all words of course are. protecting trans people as a class, and giving them a status to invoke hate crimes is a great idea by itself. people argue that trans people already are protected under the same aspect of the law that protects gay people, but trans =/= gay and they deserve the protection. pronouns don't deserve protection, pronouns shouldn't be codified into law, etc. at least not until they are as understood as 200+ year old racial slurs.

"gender identity" under the law isn't narrowly enough defined. shocker that the bar wouldn't want to get involved with a hot button issue for what amounts to a fluff law that everyone knew would pass with something like 90% votes for. everyone involved knows we have decades of precedential uphill battles to actually define this stuff.

Ofc non binary pronouns are made up. All words are made up. My objection is not to some apparent or imaginary queerphobia but to the vacuousness of his statement. It is typical of Peterson to make descriptive claims that are inarguably true while compiling multiple of these in a way that implies a normative claim. Then when asked if he is making that normative claim he can throw up his hands and say 'I never said that, you're misrepresenting me' and follow up with a 'but isn't it I retesting that (insert descriptive claim usually used to support a similar normative claim to the one he just refused to make here)'. This is the underhanded rhetorical strategy he uses constantly and what made Cathy Newman look so silly in the now infamous Channel 4 interview because she didn't recognise it. Again you mischaracterise me and my arguments.

try and cut through your biases. gender pronouns are made up, there we agree, but they're also especially made up. they aren't the product of regional dialect or a century of colloquial refinement, they are a product of gender studies research in surveys. over a super short time.

there's nothing wrong with made up words. in fact, flibber jib jab slimma slamma, see no damage. there's something wrong with writing laws that dictate how people should act in real life along especially subjective lines. everything is subjective, but wading in the deep end in terms of law is stupid. non-binary pronouns are fine, but me and JBP agree there, but they're not usable as legal language, they're too undefined and new. trying to police here is like banning pepe the frog signs at comicon.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 23 2019 02:39pm
Apr 23 2019 02:39pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 23 Apr 2019 20:36)
1+1=1

dear lord.

blessed as i am to be a law school drop out i'm aware of what a hate crime is. it makes 1 crime into 2, or more accurately makes a potentially ineffectual crime into a scarlet letter. hate crimes are good, when they're backed by hundreds of years of history, such as the word "nigger", which has hundreds of years of documented history in the language. as compared to "xer", which is just something made up recently, as all words of course are. protecting trans people as a class, and giving them a status to invoke hate crimes is a great idea by itself. people argue that trans people already are protected under the same aspect of the law that protects gay people, but trans =/= gay and they deserve the protection. pronouns don't deserve protection, pronouns shouldn't be codified into law, etc. at least not until they are as understood as 200+ year old racial slurs.

try and cut through your biases. gender pronouns are made up, there we agree, but they're also especially made up. they aren't the product of regional dialect or a century of colloquial refinement, they are a product of gender studies research in surveys. over a super short time.

there's nothing wrong with made up words. in fact, flibber jib jab slimma slamma, see no damage. there's something wrong with writing laws that dictate how people should act in real life along especially subjective lines. everything is subjective, but wading in the deep end in terms of law is stupid. non-binary pronouns are fine, but me and JBP agree there, but they're not usable as legal language, they're too undefined and new. trying to police here is like banning pepe the frog signs at comicon.

Then it's a good thing that's not what the legislation does isn't it? Pronouns are not mentioned at all in bill c16.

This post was edited by TransTankie on Apr 23 2019 02:40pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234567Next
Closed New Topic New Poll