d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Christianity Under Attack
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 20 2019 01:01am
Quote (duffman316 @ 18 Apr 2019 23:13)
https://www.rt.com/news/454472-arson-vandal-french-catholic-church/
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/april/churches-desecrated-in-ongoing-attacks-across-europe
https://www.ibtimes.com/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-not-arson-875-french-churches-vandalized-2018-2785886

So im reading about a trend of attacks on churches and symbols of christianity throughout europe. Any thoughts on who might be behind this? And why do i see no mention of this on the major news networks? Also makes you wonder about the recent fire deemed an accident while it was still being put out 🤔

'No mention of it on major news networks'
RT first link.
:lol:
Gold: 1.69
Apr 20 2019 02:00am
Quote (TransTankie @ 20 Apr 2019 00:58)
'Exploration history' XD.

I have in fact studied Early Modern history - including the early European voyages to the Americas. Different people reacted in different ways to foreigners on their shores. Sometimes they killed them, sometimes they enslaved them, sometimes they gave them gifts and looked after them. Montezuma gave Cortez a shitload of gold, the people gave gifts and regarded the spaniards as godlike. Cannibalism was relatively rare as far as we can tell. It definitely happened among the Mesoamerican Aztecs and Brazilian Tupinambá - we have evidence in fossilised faecal matter to prove it. However we don't know what kind of cannibalism we're talking about here. The tribes of the Amazon and Papua New Guinea are known to engage in what is known as 'mortuary cannibalism' in which they eat the flesh of the deceased as part of the funerary rites. The term Cannibal as well originates from Spanish explorers who called the people of the Americas 'Canibales'. Rumours abounded of them eating human flesh but even Columbus wrote in his diaries that there was no evidence to suggest it was true. Spectacular and fantastic stories of the Americas were commonplace. Montezuma is reported to have necromantic powers. The tribes of the Amazon supposedly rode the river on the backs of giant fish... and much is made of their savagery. The main defense for the conquerors when met with criticism, as ever with colonialisation, was the civilisation of the savage and so it became necessary to paint them in as savage a light as possible. Specifically for the Americas in the early modern period it was that they were proselytising and converting the populace to Christianity.

But yes - if you were alone and washed up on the shore the chances were you would be killed by the locals or taken into slavery. I can't remember much of it off the top of my head but there is the story of Jack Renton who was taken into slavery in the Solomon Islands in the 1800s and escaped... and it mentions no cannibalism whatsoever. Though it does mention shrunken heads. It's a cool story - you should look it up.

So yea - Cannibalism happened but to imply that it was ubiquitous or that the only fate that awaited lone white men who landed on the shores of the Americas was murder and cannibalism is extremely ignorant. To claim that it was even a likely event is to ignore the historical consensus. Hell many historians dispute whether it happened at all... I'm not in that camp though.

e/ Also it's worth noting that Europeans engaged in cannibalism of different kinds too. The remains of the dead have been used as medicines throughout history, human meat has been sold in markets during famines but also straight up murder and cannibalism occurred. Probably most notably during the first Crusade at Ma'Arra where Christians slaughtered and then ate the resident Muslims.

I'm under the impression that any race would have done the same as the whites in their position. If they didn't do those things in the past too, we would have never developed to the point that we are at today either.

Human is human, and we all know that it is a shitty nature. The only real thing we can focus on is the present and how we can live forward. Everybody blames the white people for the past when every race has done that to people inferior to them at some point of time in their history.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 20 2019 02:45am
Quote (ChrisKz @ 20 Apr 2019 08:00)
I'm under the impression that any race would have done the same as the whites in their position. If they didn't do those things in the past too, we would have never developed to the point that we are at today either.

Human is human, and we all know that it is a shitty nature. The only real thing we can focus on is the present and how we can live forward. Everybody blames the white people for the past when every race has done that to people inferior to them at some point of time in their history.

Well yea ... Unknown people show up when you're not used to outsiders you're gonna regard them with suspicion.

But I notice you dodged the main thrust of my post which was a refutation of your claim that it is historical consensus that anyone landing in the Americas in the early modern period would be eaten by the natives. Would be nice to see someone other than me man up and admit they were wrong... I doubt you'll bother though. Integrity is in short supply round here.
Gold: 633.87
Apr 20 2019 09:52am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Apr 19 2019 12:14am)
No other race in the history of the planet have exploited others based on supposed inherent genetic superiority at the level white people have.

With power comes ability, no other culture has had the scale or technological prowess to make mass exploitation realistic

Acting like Europeans aren't just humans writ large is cringeworthy apologism.
Gold: 17,384.69
Apr 20 2019 10:00am
Because im a dumbfuck who dont even know asia has 5000 years history

Gold: 475.46
Apr 22 2019 12:07pm
If only it were actually under attack. GET RID OF IT QUICK!

This post was edited by Brian_D on Apr 22 2019 12:07pm
Gold: 40,847.70
Apr 22 2019 01:15pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Apr 20 2019 05:00pm)
Because im a dumbfuck who dont even know asia has 5000 years history

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LACyLTsH4ac/hqdefault.jpg

Salut mec

T'as reussi a faire 40/40 deja?

Les filles ADORENT les trophees en PoE, n'est-ce pas?
Gold: 14.88
Apr 22 2019 03:03pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Apr 18 2019 08:57pm)
I have no problem with being white. I have a problem with white people who think they are inherently better than others through no act of their own.

Maybe, but the can always say they have higher IQ.
Gold: 10.77
Apr 22 2019 03:24pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Apr 22 2019 02:03pm)
Maybe, but the can always say they have higher IQ.

It's been proven that IQ tests are created with unintended bias toward the creators. A quick example is that white British children score higher on pen and paper tests whereas Sub-Saharan African children score higher on wire tests. The difference is only that one group is more used to working with pen and paper and other with wire as a cultural difference rather than a true intelligence gap.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Lots of good information there.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Apr 22 2019 03:24pm
Gold: 1,253.69
Apr 22 2019 03:58pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll