d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Notre Dame Cathedral Fire
Prev13456721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,571.00
Apr 15 2019 01:22pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 15 2019 12:16pm)
the fact that you're not the only one making scummy comments doesn't mean they are less scummy (or correct for that matter).
just imagine someone made similar comments about america's response to 9/11, about how your inability to respond quickly and 'lax nature' lead to several planes crashing into buildings, that you were unable to save, and similarly retarded blanket statements about the mentality of a whole nation based on absolutely no facts or logic - how would you regard such comments?

you really are on excrement's level right now, with your weird nazi fantasies and obsession with my family and personal life. i bet you too are the kind of person who would stalk my every post in this sub and reply with the same deluded and lazy 'insults' even years after i started ignoring you entirely. seek help, kid.

Lmao so easy to bait.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 15 2019 01:23pm
Quote (CarsV @ Apr 15 2019 01:47pm)
This is what I've been saying for the last hour. This says a lot about France in general that they simply had ZERO emergency plan or response to something happening to one of their most historic and iconic landmarks. It really makes you wonder how they'd handle an even bigger catastrophe.

This Twitter thread does a pretty good job explaining, from the point of view of a firefighting professional, how difficult it is to fight a fire of this type. Notre Dame is massive, and tall. It's extremely difficult to get water up that high. Or to control the spread, once it's started.

Quote (IceMage @ Apr 15 2019 02:13pm)

This post was edited by Surfpunk on Apr 15 2019 01:24pm
Apr 15 2019 01:23pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 15 2019 07:16pm)
the fact that you're not the only one making scummy comments doesn't mean they are less scummy (or correct for that matter).
just imagine someone made similar comments about america's response to 9/11, about how your inability to respond quickly and 'lax nature' lead to several planes crashing into buildings, that you were unable to save, and similarly retarded blanket statements about the mentality of a whole nation based on absolutely no facts or logic - how would you regard such comments?

Haha! Like clockwork! I was counting on you bringing up 9/11. You really aren't as smart as you think you are.

9/11 was intentionally carried out by motivated people with a plan. It wasn't a freak accident. Like you said earlier in the thread, false equivalency. This tragedy was most likely caused by something as simple as a careless construction worker. They've had decades of modern engineering and fire prevention to plan for something like this to happen. Yet they did nothing. For god's sake the cathedral is practically surrounded by water if I recall correctly. They just don't take anything seriously, not even their own cultural history. I know I might be saying some asshole things and I'll catch heat for it, but ffs somebody's gotta say it, some cough medicines are hard to swallow.
Warn: 30%
Apr 15 2019 01:30pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 15 Apr 2019 20:22)
Lmao so easy to bait.

congratulations, you 'baited' an exposure of your scummy behaviour. you played yourself.

Quote (CarsV @ 15 Apr 2019 20:23)
Haha! Like clockwork! I was counting on you bringing up 9/11. You really aren't as smart as you think you are.

9/11 was intentionally carried out by motivated people with a plan. It wasn't a freak accident. Like you said earlier in the thread, false equivalency. This tragedy was most likely caused by something as simple as a careless construction worker. They've had decades of modern engineering and fire prevention to plan for something like this to happen. Yet they did nothing. For god's sake the cathedral is practically surrounded by water if I recall correctly. They just don't take anything seriously, not even their own cultural history. I know I might be saying some asshole things and I'll catch heat for it, but ffs somebody's gotta say it, some cough medicines are hard to swallow.

haha, like clockwork! i was counting on you being triggered by that comparison and looking for ways to discredit it, because you can't face the fact that you made absolutely ridiculous assumptions based on no knowledge whatsoever, and got debunked into oblivion by actual expert opinions on the matter.

your whole 'typical french just weren't prepared otherwise they could have handled the situation much better' narrative is nothing short of moronic, uninformed bigotry. it's purely based on your personal feelings and no facts whatsoever, which makes it not only a scummy opinion to even hold in the first place, but an even shittier post to make, exposing your ignorance.
Gold: 83.30
Apr 15 2019 01:32pm
Quote (CarsV @ Apr 15 2019 07:06pm)
I know I'm not alone when saying: that's rich coming from you.

I'm merely stating a valid observation. This is a presentation of France's lax nature and inability to effectively respond to anything. They don't want to prepare to take action when they need to. Their attitude is that "everything will just work itself out".

The fact that noone died or got hurt is a massive positive in reflection to their emergency plans.

I'm pretty sad it's burned down. It'll be restored of course, but when I visit it again I will have a different feeling.

This post was edited by balrog66 on Apr 15 2019 01:34pm
Apr 15 2019 01:37pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Apr 15 2019 07:32pm)
The fact that noone died or got hurt is a massive positive in reflection to their emergency plans.

Well it could have started as a slow fire and people had ample time to evacuate. It just boggles my mind how long it took for any meaningful response from French emergency crews. Granted it might not be common in other parts of the world, but I believe every major city should employ some form of airborne fire retardant by now. Like the tactics used in the western US or parts of southern Europe to control wild fires. Those pilots can be surprisingly accurate. It's basic fire prevention, too. Just the simple act of stressing basic safety and codes. Shit happens, I know, but... man... I haven't even gotten a chance to tour Europe yet and it's all burning down lol. The cathedral survived both world wars and whatever the hell else went on before then. Only to succumb to some dumb ass construction worker. I better hurry while I'm still relatively young and the Sistine Chapel still stands.

This post was edited by CarsV on Apr 15 2019 01:40pm
Gold: 22,189.49
Apr 15 2019 01:44pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 15 2019 01:23pm)
This Twitter thread does a pretty good job explaining, from the point of view of a firefighting professional, how difficult it is to fight a fire of this type. Notre Dame is massive, and tall. It's extremely difficult to get water up that high. Or to control the spread, once it's started.

There's no saving this structure from fire damage / spreading. I don't see any point to guarding against losing the roof from water weight if they just brought in helicopters. Right now the fire is simply uncontained and spreading.
Warn: 30%
Apr 15 2019 01:53pm
Quote (CarsV @ 15 Apr 2019 20:37)
Well it could have started as a slow fire and people had ample time to evacuate. It just boggles my mind how long it took for any meaningful response from French emergency crews. Granted it might not be common in other parts of the world, but I believe every major city should employ some form of airborne fire retardant by now. Like the tactics used in the western US or parts of southern Europe to control wild fires. Those pilots can be surprisingly accurate. It's basic fire prevention, too. Just the simple act of stressing basic safety and codes. Shit happens, I know, but... man... I haven't even gotten a chance to tour Europe yet and it's all burning down lol. The cathedral survived both world wars and whatever the hell else went on before then. Only to succumb to some dumb ass construction worker. I better hurry while I'm still relatively young and the Sistine Chapel still stands.

why are americans so incompetent and unprepared? why did they just let this church burn down? you'd think they would have just send a firefighting plane to precision bomb the shit out of this fire and show the world how easy it is to control a little church fire?

man, i sure hope there's something left of america next time i get around to visit it...
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 15 2019 01:56pm
State of political discourse on Pard = argue about a church being on fire
Apr 15 2019 01:59pm
Quote (fender @ Apr 15 2019 07:53pm)
why are americans so incompetent and unprepared? why did they just let this church burn down? you'd think they would have just send a firefighting plane to precision bomb the shit out of this fire and show the world how easy it is to control a little church fire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWHu2uMM_g

man, i sure hope there's something left of america next time i get around to visit it...

It's so historic I've never even heard of it lol. Plus the skylines are totally different. One was surrounded by tall buildings while the other WAS the tall building in the area.

I know, I know, you're still stewing over me calling you a stupid person. You know what's worse than a stupid person? An angry stupid person.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll