d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > I Didn't Choose The Fat Life > The Fat Life Choose Me
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,278.69
Trader: Trusted
Apr 4 2019 04:13pm
Quote (OverDoSex @ 1 Apr 2019 00:41)
Don't even know who Taubes is. However, I suggest you do a little more research :)
(even without knowing the facts, a simple google search will, in itself, show how insulin and weight gain are tied together)

Edit: And I never said carbohydrates are evil, but over indulgence is. They are processed into sugars, which causes the pancreas to produce insulin. If insulin is processing sugar into the cells out of the bloodstream, the body will use those carbs and sugars before it uses fat. Any fat ingested while sugar is being utilized won't be needed, therefor it is stored as body fat. Insulin is the hormone which causes fat to be stored, because its priority is to regulate sugar out of the bloodstream (and be used/stored). If the cells can't metabolize or take any more sugar, then your blood sugar will rise because the cells will tell the insulin that it is full. The body releases more insulin to counteract this because it naturally wants to get sugar out of the blood, this can result in insulin resistance. Eventually, the body won't respond to insulin anymore, and your blood sugar will need to be regulated via an insulin shot (Type 2 diabetes). These facts aren't a secret, it's simply how the body works.

Edit#2: This is why most type 2 diabetics and pre-diabetics follow a low-carb low-sugar diet (and high fat), because it lowers their A1C, reduces bad triglycerides, and reverses insulin resistance. Not having an abundance of insulin and allowing the body to not focus on sugars, will cause your body to burn stored fat. It's a side effect of getting healthy. Having a few carbs occasionally will not hurt you. But certainly not 350-500 grams like our "american diet" suggests. Low carb high fat diets are prescribed to patients who have severe auto-immune diseases, even epilepsy, because it's been proven to heal those individuals better than any medicine ever could. We don't need to be medicated 24/7, you need to not slowly poison your body so that medication seems like the only answer.

I was skeptical just like you in the beginning, because I've been plastered with the SAD diet since it's conception around when processed foods started entering the picture. I decided to try it myself once my initial apprehension/shock faded, because I was overweight and had high blood pressure.. with a history in the family for type 2 diabetes.

You are correct that insulin is an anabolic hormone, but you need to take an entire day into account, and not just the postprandial period.

Insulin will not make you lose or gain weight, unbalanced energy intake will. Low carb diets will work for some, but they aren't inherently better than other types of diets, such as low fat. Main point should be overall energy intake, adequate protein and then personal preferences.

I'm glad you've found low carb to work for you, but it's just not going to be more effective for weight loss in general.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 4 2019 08:52pm
few things here..

#1. The keto diet is NOT a replacement for anticonvulsants.. It's SOMETIMES given in conjunction with phenytoin/keppra etc.
#2. The typical person does the keto diet completely incorrect by ingesting a ridiculously high amount of saturated fats.
#3. The myth that high amounts of carbohydrates causes insulin resistance is an old and dated statement... It's a mixture of poor eating habits, including a high amount of omega-6 fatty acids "saturated fats" that cause insulin resistance.
#4. Fat is a poor source of energy, HOWEVER you can adapt to this and some people do feel better on the keto diet.. I've tried it and felt like shit, so I just eat like a civilized person.

Weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit, not through a macronutrient specific diet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4587882/

This post was edited by ozzyarmy3 on Apr 4 2019 08:54pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll