d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Give Everyone $1000/month > Andrew Yang
Prev123427Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Mar 9 2019 09:11am
Quote (dro94 @ Mar 9 2019 09:50am)
America's debt to GDP ratio is similar to most rich Western countries. Increases in GDP leading to increased tax revenues as well as inflationary erosion of debt make the debt manageable. It will be manageable for the foreseeable future but the real concern is when the next recession hits there won't be much wiggle room for the government to provide fiscal stimulus.

According to their minds the government stimulus isn't a problem because Keynes = bad.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 9 2019 09:20am
Quote (Santara @ 9 Mar 2019 11:58)
I mean hey, that's ONLY $320 billion dollars a month. We can totally afford THAT!

I mean with the proposed VAT yea... you can.

Surely you wouldn't be as obnoxiously arrogant as to dismiss his proposal without looking into how he costs it?
Gold: 119,903.34
Mar 9 2019 09:21am
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 9 2019 10:20am)

Surely you wouldn't be as obnoxiously arrogant as to dismiss his proposal without looking into how he costs it?

There's not gonna be room for debate here. Pretty sure Santara doesn't support most current social welfare programs we already have.

At least not unless the debt is gone or the US is on a budget surplus.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Mar 9 2019 09:22am
Mar 9 2019 09:26am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ 9 Mar 2019 15:21)
There's not gonna be room for debate here. Pretty sure Santara doesn't support most current social welfare programs we already have.

At least not unless the debt is gone or the US is on a budget surplus.

Well then he's farther right than most Republicans. Even they see the positive effects of the dividend in Alaska and support it. No reason why it can't be rolled out across the country with the VAT supporting it.
Gold: 345.00
Mar 9 2019 09:30am
Quote (taekvideo @ Mar 9 2019 04:59am)
Andrew Yang is running for president and proposing a Freedom Dividend, giving EVERY citizen $1000/month.

It would include shrinking the existing welfare state to eliminate the bureaucracy and disincentives to work (the welfare trap).

There's a lot more to his platform, if you haven't heard of him check out his interview on Joe Rogan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsEzmFamZ8

I think he's my new favorite candidate.

Kinda pointless as that’s not even really a livable wage...

Also who’s going to pay for that ...LOL

USA in already enough debt
Gold: 3.33
Mar 9 2019 09:33am
Quote (coolmoney18 @ Mar 9 2019 04:30pm)

this is a post only someone with a low IQ could make
Gold: 119,903.34
Mar 9 2019 09:40am
Quote (coolmoney18 @ Mar 9 2019 10:30am)

The point of the dividend is not to replace a job. But to help people in their current situation. If you work full time and make 20-30k a year, an extra 12k a year helps you potentially stay above living paycheck to paycheck and potentially increases people's ability to save money or explore other opportunities or pay off other debts and would also be spent to have the economy boosted.

Since the dividend will already take into account other assistance being received , this primarily will impact people who already work full time.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 9 2019 09:49am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Mar 9 2019 10:40am)
The point of the dividend is not to replace a job. But to help people in their current situation. If you work full time and make 20-30k a year, an extra 12k a year helps you potentially stay above living paycheck to paycheck and potentially increases people's ability to save money or explore other opportunities or pay off other debts and would also be spent to have the economy boosted.

Since the dividend will already take into account other assistance being received , this primarily will impact people who already work full time.

It would probably raise aggregate expenditure tremendously. More people will spend than save. For me it would go right into crippling student loans that costs as much as having another two bedroom apartment.
Mar 9 2019 09:57am
Quote (Skinned @ 9 Mar 2019 15:49)
It would probably raise aggregate expenditure tremendously. More people will spend than save. For me it would go right into crippling student loans that costs as much as having another two bedroom apartment.

Well the best predictor of the effects is the situation in Alaska. Yang claims that 'The petroleum dividend there has created jobs, improved children’s health and has reduced income inequality'. I don't know how accurate this statement is... but it's worth looking into.

This post was edited by Scaly on Mar 9 2019 09:57am
Gold: 8,933.00
Mar 9 2019 10:16am
Quote (dro94 @ Mar 9 2019 06:11am)
I'm not completely on board with the idea either, but that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it, and unfortunately an expected one considering your ideological bias. There would be far less expenditure on other areas of the welfare state and an increase in spending from the additional disposable income. I'm also guessing he isn't a hawk so there is a few hundred billion saved from military expenditure to play around with too. It would be interesting to see the costings for his proposals.

Just how much welfare state do you think there is in the overall $4 trillion budget that can be cut to offset the addition of $3.8 trillion in new spending? Simplistic? Are you kidding me? Maybe we'll just cut out all Social Security (plausible in this scenario), Medicare and Medicaid (not plausible) and the entirety of the federal discretionary budget to cover it?

Quote (Scaly @ Mar 9 2019 09:20am)

No, we can't. If raising an additional $3.8 trillion in revenue was SO FUCKING SIMPLE, don't you think we'd have balanced a budget already? What you don't grasp is our ability to draw revenue from the economy. No matter where rates are set, or what outputs are taxed, the federal government historically has been able to pull 17-19% of GDP out of the economy. We're already spending closer to 25%.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123427Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll