d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Maybe A Problem With Usa These Days > ?
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Dec 17 2018 09:38am
Quote (djman72 @ 17 Dec 2018 11:27)
This thread is terrible. The guy with a Colts sig is bitching about athletes being role models.

Someone like JJ Watt is absolutely a hero and someone to be emulated. Using his platform to better his community, going out of his way to promote positive values and better others.

Someone like Andrew Luck is absolutely worthy of emulation. He's a big supporter of Riley's Children Hospital and other fantastic non profits. He's constantly using his position to go good in Indy. I've had the opportunity to meet Andrew and he's as genuine as he appears.

It'll always come down to the person, the individual. Not all athletes are role models, but some are. Not all doctors, teachers, firemen are role models. Some are. I know firemen and teachers that are absolute shitheads that shouldn't be allowed to do what they do.

This is also not a new premise. Athletes have been the focus of our attention since they're was media to promote them. You think kids didn't look up to Babe Ruth or Ted Williams? GTFO with this trash.

well said my friend!
Gold: 2,617.52
Dec 17 2018 09:42am
Quote (djman72 @ Dec 17 2018 11:27am)
This thread is terrible. The guy with a Colts sig is bitching about athletes being role models.

Someone like JJ Watt is absolutely a hero and someone to be emulated. Using his platform to better his community, going out of his way to promote positive values and better others.

Someone like Andrew Luck is absolutely worthy of emulation. He's a big supporter of Riley's Children Hospital and other fantastic non profits. He's constantly using his position to go good in Indy. I've had the opportunity to meet Andrew and he's as genuine as he appears.

It'll always come down to the person, the individual. Not all athletes are role models, but some are. Not all doctors, teachers, firemen are role models. Some are. I know firemen and teachers that are absolute shitheads that shouldn't be allowed to do what they do.

This is also not a new premise. Athletes have been the focus of our attention since they're was media to promote them. You think kids didn't look up to Babe Ruth or Ted Williams? GTFO with this trash.

Not really. They make a few wealthy owners rich and funnel back the leftovers to make them feel a little virtuous.
Gold: 18,534.02
Dec 17 2018 09:45am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Dec 17 2018 10:42am)
Not really. They make a few wealthy owners rich and funnel back the leftovers to make them feel a little virtuous.

Yes, JJ Watt's 37 million raised for hurricane relief was the leftovers.

C'mon man.... I expect better out of you.
Dec 17 2018 09:47am
Quote (djman72 @ Dec 17 2018 11:45am)
Yes, JJ Watt's 37 million raised for hurricane relief was the leftovers.

C'mon man.... I expect better out of you.

Thats nice, but hes not creating anything that wasn't there before, and his life isn't in danger.
Gold: 18,534.02
Dec 17 2018 09:57am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Dec 17 2018 10:47am)
Thats nice, but hes not creating anything that wasn't there before, and his life isn't in danger.

So your concept of "worthy" hero is only applied to people who put their lives on the line or "create"? NFL owners created the league you seem to not like, they provide an insane amount of jobs through their product. Players, coaches, athletic trainers, security, stadium maintenance personal, sports/media broadcasters, marketing/media, i could go on and on.

Are they hero's?

Maybe we have drastically different idea's on what qualifies as heroic or merit worthy.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2018 10:01am
Quote (djman72 @ Dec 17 2018 08:27am)

you missed the point but that's ok,

a lot do these days. I expected this.
Dec 17 2018 10:04am
Quote (djman72 @ Dec 17 2018 11:57am)
So your concept of "worthy" hero is only applied to people who put their lives on the line or "create"? NFL owners created the league you seem to not like, they provide an insane amount of jobs through their product. Players, coaches, athletic trainers, security, stadium maintenance personal, sports/media broadcasters, marketing/media, i could go on and on.

Are they hero's?

Maybe we have drastically different idea's on what qualifies as heroic or merit worthy.

He's an entertainer.

Something better than an entertainer is a skilled laborer who markets his skills for mutual survival benefit.

Something better than a laborer is a fighter who uses will and endurance to uphold virtue.
Dec 17 2018 10:07am
Quote (Beowulf @ Dec 17 2018 08:08am)
Money can be used to do good. Many athletes and celebrities do good work and raise awareness for good causes.

Not all heroes need to be armed and wearing badges and medals.

You want to pick teams where it's not necessary to do so. Btw many of those celebrities and athletes volunteer their time and money to the same type of people you find most worthy and they greatly appreciate it.

those guys wear the greatest honor our country can give. are you serious?
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 17 2018 10:16am
No heroism in being a highschool drop out forced to go into infantry because they're incompetent at anything else.

North America is not subject to a draft now days. Giving your life to be in some war torn country because of a political agenda does not equate to heroism. Some actions maybe heroic, but you're not heroic for insisting. A single action while inlisted could make you someones hero and justifiably so. In recent history ww1. ww2, and Vietnam we're very different situations.

Someone donating a million bucks to fight famine probably does more good than an average individual in the military.

So what's your hero metrics?

This post was edited by SBD on Dec 17 2018 10:19am
Dec 17 2018 10:18am
ooof,
look up the two names I mentioned, if you think jj watt is on the same level fuck off

I think he would agree with me

This post was edited by Cjarvis on Dec 17 2018 10:20am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll