d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Dark Money
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Oct 17 2018 02:52pm
I think the article raises good points. I'm against government-funded media. Perhaps it was helpful in the past, but it's not necessary anymore due to how much other free, educational content is available across a variety of platforms and how media distribution has evolved over time. I also have an issue with state-funded media in principle. It's too hard to ensure that government-funded media is fairly balanced. I don't like this can of worms.

As far Citizens United, it was disastrous for our democracy. Corporations emptying their coffers into super PACs isn't free speech, it's political bribery. Our country would be better off eliminating this blatant conflict of interest.

Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Oct 2018 15:00)
PBS isn't close to impartial like the BBC. Most of the time the just represent the polite neoliberal left. It is pretty farcical that shields and brookes are both anti-Trumpers, representing that 'half the liberal country' and '5% of republicans' respectively. Even Colmes on Fox was a better representation of the contemporary debate.
But even PBS started shedding its polite form of liberal media bias when they partnered up with ProPublica this last year;
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-charlottesville/
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-we-identified-white-supremacists-after-charlottesville/

That's government-funded PBS, doxxing private citizens to try to get them fired for their political views.
They're actually triumphant about how they "Identified White Supremacists After Charlottesville"

Calling the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville a white supremacist movement isn't political hackery by PBS. It's simply documenting the truth.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 17 2018 02:56pm
Quote (fender @ Oct 17 2018 03:44pm)
so republicans now agree to get money out of politics asap?

because there are PLENTY of candidates on the left not accepting ANY corporate donations already...

They just don't mind making asses out of themselves like this.

Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 17 2018 03:52pm)
I think the article raises good points. I'm against government-funded media. Perhaps it was helpful in the past, but it's not necessary anymore due to how much other free, educational content is available across a variety of platforms and how media distribution has evolved over time. I also have an issue with state-funded media in principle. It's too hard to ensure that government-funded media is fairly balanced. I don't like this can of worms.

As far Citizens United, it was disastrous for our democracy. Corporations emptying their coffers into super PACs isn't free speech, it's political bribery. Our country would be better off eliminating this blatant conflict of interest.

Calling the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville a white supremacist movement isn't political hackery by PBS. It's simply documenting the truth.

Right-wing terrorism even took lives in Charlottesville.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 17 2018 02:57pm
Gold: 22,189.49
Oct 17 2018 03:03pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 17 2018 02:52pm)

Public funded media leading a campaign of doxxing private citizens based on their political affiliation is several steps beyond mere political hackery.
Oct 17 2018 03:21pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Oct 2018 16:03)
Public funded media leading a campaign of doxxing private citizens based on their political affiliation is several steps beyond mere political hackery.

Well, I disagree with state-funded media in principle and some of the methods of investigative journalism used in this case, but their findings about Charlottesville shouldn't be surprising.
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 17 2018 03:34pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 17 2018 05:21pm)
Well, I disagree with state-funded media in principle and some of the methods of investigative journalism used in this case, but their findings about Charlottesville shouldn't be surprising.

If your political idealogy allows you to overlook doxxing of that nature, your idealogy is BAD.
Oct 17 2018 03:35pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 17 Oct 2018 16:34)
If your political idealogy allows you to overlook doxxing of that nature, your idealogy is BAD.

I'm not overlooking it. In fact, I condemn it. And like I said, I'm also opposed to publicly-funded media in principle. I'm simply stating the results aren't surprising.
Oct 17 2018 03:39pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Oct 17 2018 05:35pm)
I'm not overlooking it. In fact, I condemn it. And like I said, I'm also opposed to publicly-funded media in principle. I'm simply stating the results aren't surprising.

The results are abhorrent. We live in a first world country.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 17 2018 03:43pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Oct 17 2018 04:34pm)

Donald Trump doxxed Lindsey Graham and you wouldn't criticize that.

You guys just keep proving your own hypocrisy.
Oct 17 2018 03:49pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 17 2018 05:43pm)
Donald Trump doxxed Lindsey Graham and you wouldn't criticize that.

You guys just keep proving your own hypocrisy.

Was waiting for the false equivalence. A cell phone number of an already political candidate is a prank. Hundreds of names, addresses, and phone numbers with the express purpose of getting them fired is a completely different ball game.

Your posts have been pretty limp lately so I'm not the surprised.
Gold: 22,189.49
Oct 17 2018 03:50pm
I'm just trying to imagine what it would look like if Trump funded a public entity that tasked itself with doxxing and publicizing the names and identities of Antifa, Black Lives Matter and other #Resist groups solely on their political affiliation and without due process of law and protocols of law enforcement. (No, mugshots ain't the same thing).
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll