d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1414243444577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 21 2018 11:28pm
Quote (SBD @ 22 Jun 2018 07:21)
Oh wow it's almost like the country the immigrant is coming from is so bad it's worth the risk to them.

Much wow.

then we have to make sure that the risk is no longer worth it. which doesnt require firing squads on the border or separations of children from their parents - all it takes is a strictly enforced e-verify system coupled with consequent deportations of every illegal immigrant.
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 22 2018 03:35am
Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 22 2018 04:20am
Quote (Ghot @ 22 Jun 2018 05:05)

for those raised by rotten racoons, yes, it can be funny.
Jun 22 2018 09:11am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 22 Jun 2018 12:20)
for those raised by rotten racoons, yes, it can be funny.

but did the rotten racoons saw the foot?
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 22 2018 09:16am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2018 11:28pm)
then we have to make sure that the risk is no longer worth it. which doesnt require firing squads on the border or separations of children from their parents - all it takes is a strictly enforced e-verify system coupled with consequent deportations of every illegal immigrant.

while i agree. i'd like to see a cost analysis of:

just border enforcement with little to no domestic ICE presence, only deportations for people who commit a crime (not the crime of being here, but crimes violent and non-violent alike)

vs.

border wall, increased ICE raids, changes to everify, and plane tickets to deport families

i think too many people assume the outcome of that calculation. and i think the reality is it might just blow a lot of "they're costing us too much money" minded people.
Jun 22 2018 09:35am
Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Jun 2018 17:16)
while i agree. i'd like to see a cost analysis of:

just border enforcement with little to no domestic ICE presence, only deportations for people who commit a crime (not the crime of being here, but crimes violent and non-violent alike)

vs.

border wall, increased ICE raids, changes to everify, and plane tickets to deport families

i think too many people assume the outcome of that calculation. and i think the reality is it might just blow a lot of "they're costing us too much money" minded people.

you're forgetting that less illegal immigration would also take pressure off the domestic housing and labor markets, and thus increase the wages/disposable income of americans.

in the end, illegal immigration means that the rich get richer, the illegal immigrants are also better off than than if they stayed in mexico, but the american working class and middle class are paying the price.
Jun 22 2018 09:38am
oh, and another point that is constantly left out in these discussions: once it becomes clear to the world that illegal immigration into the US will not pay off for them under ANY circumstances, the pressure on the border will go down drastically as well. so while it would certainly take a high amount of initial effort, these efforts could be phased out after roughly 6-24 months.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 22 2018 09:51am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 22 2018 09:35am)
you're forgetting that less illegal immigration would also take pressure off the domestic housing and labor markets, and thus increase the wages/disposable income of americans.

in the end, illegal immigration means that the rich get richer, the illegal immigrants are also better off than than if they stayed in mexico, but the american working class and middle class are paying the price.

i dont buy any of these points anywhere near face value.

sure, kick out all the mexicans and all of a sudden its 1.5x as expensive to roof your house. GREAT for the housing market amirite?

you're offsetting my points, fine, but yours can be offset just as easily. housing markets LOL, illegals live in trailer parks by-and-large. good job clearing out 10 feet x 20 feet lots per family.

i'm not forgetting any of that. i'm asking what the difference in government expenditure would be. its not a systematic analysis its a governmental spending analysis. u can get more nuanced than the scope i'm suggesting but then so can i, and we'll keep zooming out until nothing can be identified.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 22 2018 10:00am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2018 11:11pm)
I was of course assuming that some sort of e-verify system would be in place in my scenario.

both sides of the aisle, "mainstream" democrats and "mainstream" republicans, are puppets of employers and corporations. they are both in favor of illegal immigration and/or high levels of legal immigration. on the republican side, we're talking about guys like jeff flake, lindsey graham, john mccain or jeb bush.

the main difference between the parties when it comes to immigration is that the democrat's base is much more pro-immigration overall than the republican base, which is largely for reduced immigration levels. (see the studies that found that the candidate who takes on the most hardline stance on immigration has been overperforming in republican primaries for at least the last 10 years.)

Yeah, and any legislation that doesnt target the employers who hire illegal immigration en masse isnt a real immigration plan. Its just scapegoating the least powerful in the equation to get votes.
Jun 22 2018 11:17am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 22 Jun 2018 18:00)
Yeah, and any legislation that doesnt target the employers who hire illegal immigration en masse isnt a real immigration plan. Its just scapegoating the least powerful in the equation to get votes.

true, i actually agree with this. but it's nonetheless the necessary first step in a paradigm shift.

it is still not really accepted or acknowledged by the mainstream that illegal immigration is a crime and not just an inconvenience, that it is in fact very well preventable and not an inevitability, and that it's something that adversely affects a significant percentage of the population.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1414243444577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll