d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > November 2018 > Elections
Prev123456120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.77
Feb 8 2018 09:30pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 04:01am)

What a weird focus. What you probably don’t know is that there are about 700 signature gatherers from all over the country collecting for medical marijuana in MO right now. We and several other companies are talking to thousands of people a day there. This is going to turn out the liberal and progressives vote massively in November. I don’t think she’s overplaying her hand.
Gold: 7,526.30
Feb 8 2018 09:36pm
Quote (fender @ Feb 8 2018 09:55pm)

riiight, like that black latino muslim trans-woman bernie sanders...

Do you honestly think this is in any way a refutation of what i said?
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 8 2018 09:44pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Feb 8 2018 10:30pm)
What a weird focus. What you probably don’t know is that there are about 700 signature gatherers from all over the country collecting for medical marijuana in MO right now. We and several other companies are talking to thousands of people a day there. This is going to turn out the liberal and progressives vote massively in November. I don’t think she’s overplaying her hand.

I was referring to 40 politicians that are running and are transgender, and not just in Missouri.
Feb 8 2018 10:30pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 08:44pm)
I was referring to 40 politicians that are running and are transgender, and not just in Missouri.

List the states and I can tell you why or why there won’t be a liberal wave supporting the trans candidate there.
Feb 8 2018 10:43pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Feb 8 2018 11:30pm)
List the states and I can tell you why or why there won’t be a liberal wave supporting the trans candidate there.

I don't know what states they are...did you read the article about the transgender that's running? The article doesn't say.
Feb 9 2018 01:56am
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 09:43pm)
I don't know what states they are...did you read the article about the transgender that's running? The article doesn't say.

Yeah and I didn't see it there, but you chimed in with an answer so I figured you had a source.

I'll look it up tomorrow. But it's silly for that to be the focus. It doesn't matter much that they are trans candidates. Any liberal candidate will get a boost from, for example, the MO marijuana initiative, because it's a statewide measure and will turn people out to the polls who usually don't vote. The premise of the article you shared is that there's somehow a liberal agenda to use trans identity politics to get elected. That is way off base. It's more like a more diverse group of people are running because of the favorable political climate.
Feb 9 2018 01:58am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Feb 9 2018 02:56am)
Yeah and I didn't see it there, but you chimed in with an answer so I figured you had a source.

I'll look it up tomorrow. But it's silly for that to be the focus. It doesn't matter much that they are trans candidates. Any liberal candidate will get a boost from, for example, the MO marijuana initiative, because it's a statewide measure and will turn people out to the polls who usually don't vote. The premise of the article you shared is that there's somehow a liberal agenda to use trans identity politics to get elected. That is way off base. It's more like a more diverse group of people are running because of the favorable political climate.

It's the 1st quote in the OP. ??
Gold: Locked
Feb 9 2018 04:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 8 2018 05:38pm)
Probably. But until a few more years have passed, I wouldn't guess it's a smart political move.
There are far more non-transgenders than there are transgenders.

It galvanizes the base, which is crucial for mid-term elections. Trans and gender issues are a really hot topic right now among youth, especially in the liberal sphere.

It's not an attempt to win moderates. It's an attempt to get more than 20% of your voting base to show up for a less flashy electoral cycle.

I kinda hate to bring this up, because it feels like marginalizing them as a "gendered" candidate. These people are running for office as humans and when you elect someone, their gender, race, and religion really shouldn't be relevant--only their policies, experience, and potential to enact said policies. But the reality is that there are more advantages to running a "minority" candidate in mid-terms than there are disadvantages.
Gold: 4,400.67
Feb 10 2018 01:33am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ 9 Feb 2018 23:16)
Trans and gender issues are a really hot topic right now among youth, especially in the liberal sphere.

translation: privileged folks with no real issues to worry about.

I kinda hate to bring this up, because it feels like marginalizing them as a "gendered" candidate. These people are running for office as humans and when you elect someone, their gender, race, and religion really shouldn't be relevant--only their policies, experience, and potential to enact said policies.

I fully agree. And I really wouldnt mind a transgender candidate who just doesnt play it up. But I'm really allergic to the kind of candidate who tries to ram his/her gender down my throat, who candidly stands for aggressively pushing an identity politics based agenda.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Feb 10 2018 01:35am
Gold: 20.31
Feb 12 2018 09:36am
I won't say one pull quote represents an entire demographic but SoCons are absolutely oblivious if they think the GOP will hold onto their majority by recycling the fear/hate playbook of 2004. There aren't many "districts where Trump has strong support" in the House Battleground, the few of those that do exist are rural GOP vote sinks the party gerrymandered into electoral irrelevance in 2011.

Donations are up to transgendered candidates because donations are up to everyone (at least in Democratic politics). More everyone is running for office: more women, more POC, more veterans, more people from the STEM field, more first-time candidates.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll