d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Bill O'reilly Settles For 32 Million > Even Troll Gods Can Bleed
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13.95
Oct 23 2017 11:41am
Quote (Magicman657 @ Oct 23 2017 01:09am)
It really depends on which lens you are viewing the situation from. From the public's perspective, yeah, it's pretty awful that such a vile person wouldn't have to go to jail for his or her crimes. However, from the victim's perspective, I can totally understand how it'd be easier to move forward with 32 million dollars than it would be with 0 dollars and some guy you'll never see or hear from again in prison. Not everyone shares that opinion; some may say "fuck the money I want to see you in jail on principle", but there is definitely some value in letting the victim decide which outcome is going to emotionally benefit them more.

Quote (balrog66 @ Oct 23 2017 08:36am)
The judicial system isn't just there to please people. It's there to create a system of rules that should apply to anyone, not just you.

This is why I'm so happy that we have civil and not common law.

It does suck that sexual deviants can walk with paying off their accusers. But I understand and sympathize as to reasons why a number of victims decide to take this path. Having to testify and be a victim ( again ) of all sorts of underhanded tactics like character assassination for the duration of the trial must be exhausting for the victims.

In the end when it comes to most sexual assaults and harassment it is very likely that there is no witnesses around the event. He said, she said with sometime lackluster physical evidence means the only thing of worth is what the victim says he or she has had inflicted upon them. So it becomes incredibly pertinent for both the prosecution and defense to demonstrate if the accuser is credible or not and this can be incredibly rough on the accuser.

We as a society and individuals always say things along the like ; If something bad happens to you, focus on your recovery. We don't say, maybe you should talk about your issues with all the world.

Quote (Scaly @ Oct 22 2017 05:41pm)
Settling shouldn't be an option. It's a gross affront to the idea of justice.

Like I've said in the other part of my post, in most cases to get a conviction requires the participation of the victim. The victim's testimony and credibility is in most cases sole deciding factor on a conviction. Depending on the severity of the nature of the cases, it's about going through the worst experience on can imagine all over again. This isn't justice, it's verbal assault masquerading as justice. What accusers go through to attempt to secure a conviction against their aggressor Even then, sometimes there's just almost no physical proof at all (multiple reasons as to why) and the accuser knows he or she is not the most "credible" person when you look at his or her's life record. When a victim knows the Jury might not feel sympathetic for them for XYZ reasons, there's even less of an incentive to even attempt a trial.

I think it's an even bigger affront of justice when you put a victim through a difficult situation and the accuser gets to walk free as it happens so many times in those kind of cases.

Can I fault a victim of a crime for going a tangible gain over an uncertain one? I don't think I can, I was never a gambling type of person, so maybe I'm a bit biased here.

Quote (Warlock316 @ Oct 23 2017 01:11pm)
you think the victim would want him in jail... but i guess 32 million in the bank is better than justice

Conviction rates are pathetically low, the victim would want both I'm sure. But you just need to talk to a good attorney to see how strong a case is, and how likely it is to secure a conviction.

These are some of my thoughts on the subject, I'm not happy with how the "game" is being played right now.
I agree with you Balrog and Scaly that accusers walking free and not even having to go through trial is not justice but I'm not knowledgeable about laws and what can be done realistically to the system that it's more...

This post was edited by Helloween7 on Oct 23 2017 11:49am
Gold: 500.00
Oct 24 2017 05:28pm
Gold: 285.00
Oct 24 2017 05:41pm
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 23 2017 02:11am)
dude ill take a few brutal rapes for 32m, complete with anal perforation and broken bones, hell hack an arm off and use it to fist me while you're at it. Cannibalize my ass cheeks, take some thigh fillet too. Throw some dental torture into the mix to boot.

like maybe im in the minority here but i don't see wtf happened to her that's so bad that it warrants that big of a settlement but it's a lot better than punishing him for it for everyone involved so what's the problem?

You wouldn't enjoy the money, or anything afterward probably. You would end up putting a bullet through your skull to stop your torture from playing over and over every time you closed your eyes and tried to sleep.

Quote (DCSS @ Oct 23 2017 07:41am)
im sorry but you cant have a victim based crime without a victim
if someone doesn't feel like a victim,
they shouldn't be used as one for a prosecution.

And if you do, the victim will deny it happened. Where do you go from there as the prosecution? The case is closed. That's how it is. There's nothing wrong with it. It was resolved.

It's really easy to persuade someone that they don't want to testify against you. Perhaps just send a friend to their house and knock on their door and ask them kindly....

Quote (Morphmcmanerson @ Oct 23 2017 10:07am)

#rape

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 24 2017 05:42pm
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Oct 24 2017 11:14pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 24 2017 07:41pm)
You wouldn't enjoy the money, or anything afterward probably. You would end up putting a bullet through your skull to stop your torture from playing over and over every time you closed your eyes and tried to sleep.

It's really easy to persuade someone that they don't want to testify against you. Perhaps just send a friend to their house and knock on their door and ask them kindly....

#rape

victim protection
doesnt apply to free money though

This post was edited by DCSS on Oct 24 2017 11:14pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 25 2017 04:53am
Lolol
Gold: 285.00
Oct 25 2017 04:55am
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 25 2017 12:14am)
victim protection
doesnt apply to free money though

No such thing as free money.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Oct 25 2017 07:09am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 25 2017 06:55am)
No such thing as free money.

i consider simply getting raped to be virtually a non-cost for 32m
i've already said earlier in the thread what i consider an equal trade of things committed to me for that much money.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 25 2017 07:30am
O'Reilly is now 'mad at god' for letting them 'work him over' like that.

Still maintaining he did nothing wrong. I mean... Maybe he didn't? Pretty low chance admittedly but this is the problem with letting people settle out of court and making such a public spectacle of the accusations. Perhaps his coworkers didn't like him and saw what happened to Ailes and thought they could make a buck by fucking him over. How do we know? Not exactly hard to believe his coworkers might think he's a dick really...

Y'all hold the Constitution in such high regard over there - doesn't it say something about people having the right to a fair trial with a jury of their peers? Funny how that all goes out the window when the story is entertaining. Being tried in the court of public opinion could easily make a man think the easiest way out is to settle and hope it all goes away.
Gold: 83.30
Oct 25 2017 07:35am
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 25 2017 01:09pm)
i consider simply getting raped to be virtually a non-cost for 32m
i've already said earlier in the thread what i consider an equal trade of things committed to me for that much money.

True degeneracy right here.
Gold: 32,161.71
Oct 25 2017 08:29am
Net worth 82 million dollars

We went into the wrong careers
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll