d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Knowingly Exposing Others To Hiv In California > No Longer A Felony
Prev13456713Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.66
Oct 8 2017 04:43pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 8 2017 02:28pm)
Advances in treatment do not somehow negate malice. Just because we found effective ways to keep the virus at bay does not mean it's no big deal all of the sudden. The monthly treatment is still quite expensive, most people would rather forgo spending 20-30k per year on HIV medication if they can.

What exactly is the deterrent now? Quoting studies on how the transmission rates are much lower if the virus is in remittance or how we have effective ways to treat it does not take away from the fact that knowingly passing this on to someone is deeply immoral and needs to be discouraged.

Well, I think there's a difference between what someone ought to do ethically, and what someone is required to do legally.

What deterrent do you think this law had in the first place? I would bet every dollar I own that the majority of people, including the people in PaRD, didn't even know about California's HIV criminalization laws or SB 239 prior to Brown signing it.
Gold: 42.00
Oct 8 2017 04:45pm
Quote (Kiseki @ Oct 8 2017 04:40pm)
haha oops sorry man didnt mean to give you that cold i shoulda told you i was sick

haha oops sorry man didnt mean to give you that AIDS i shoulda told you i was sick

read that a couple of times and tell me which one you think is not a big deal, vs which you think is

bump

Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 8 2017 04:45pm)
You can die from the flu, especially if my friend is elderly.

Regardless, his argument and the wording of the bill implies malicious intent is necessary for it to be bad.

not even close
Gold: 10,655.00
Oct 8 2017 04:56pm

I don't even believe this is a topic ....again.

If you know you have a sexually transmitted disease, and have unprotected sex with another and do not inform them beforehand, you should go to jail.
NOT doing so is so obviously malicious...it's not even funny.

If you want to have unprotected sex with someone, and you know you have a sexually transmitted disease....tell them beforehand. If they still want to have sex, then no problem.

What's next in California? Making rape legal, because to do otherwise might psychologically harm the rapist? This whole thing is insane.
Gold: 11,456.00
Oct 8 2017 04:56pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Oct 8 2017 03:43pm)
Well, I think there's a difference between what someone ought to do ethically, and what someone is required to do legally.

What deterrent do you think this law had in the first place? I would bet every dollar I own that the majority of people, including the people in PaRD, didn't even know about California's HIV criminalization laws or SB 239 prior to Brown signing it.

The deterrence was that it was illegal & punishable with a felony charge, pretty big deterrent in my opinion. We under the social contract deem some unethical acts so reprehensible that we agree they need to be made illegal. This one is pretty bad imo.

I know if i was a victim and this happened to me i would be furious. If this happened to me and then i found out the justice system didn't do anything about it or had some slap on the wrist punishment, meanwhile i'm stuck with a life long & expensive condition for the rest of my life i might consider violence against the aggressor. Maybe bash their skull in? I mean after all, we have very good treatment for brain damage and this person could live a fairly normal life with only a grand or two out of pocket for regular treatment for the rest of their life, no biggy yo.

Quote (Ghot @ Oct 8 2017 03:56pm)

What's next in California? Making rape legal, because to do otherwise might psychologically harm the rapist? This whole thing is insane.

There is ground breaking psychological treatment for the victim for only $100/hour for the rest of their life. It's totally fine. Oh, and i'm sure future rapists will think twice because...?

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Oct 8 2017 04:59pm
Oct 8 2017 05:30pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 8 2017 02:56pm)
The deterrence was that it was illegal & punishable with a felony charge, pretty big deterrent in my opinion. We under the social contract deem some unethical acts so reprehensible that we agree they need to be made illegal. This one is pretty bad imo.

I know if i was a victim and this happened to me i would be furious. If this happened to me and then i found out the justice system didn't do anything about it or had some slap on the wrist punishment, meanwhile i'm stuck with a life long & expensive condition for the rest of my life i might consider violence against the aggressor. Maybe bash their skull in? I mean after all, we have very good treatment for brain damage and this person could live a fairly normal life with only a grand or two out of pocket for regular treatment for the rest of their life, no biggy yo.

I suppose I'm just being a stickler for semantics, but can it truly be a deterrence if most everyone doesn't even know that it exists? I think it more apt that it's merely a punishment, and not a deterrence, and the anecdote of how you'd feel if something like this happened to you I think reflects the punishment/vengeance aspect.

Quote (Ghot @ Oct 8 2017 02:56pm)
I don't even believe this is a topic ....again.

If you know you have a sexually transmitted disease, and have unprotected sex with another and do not inform them beforehand, you should go to jail.
NOT doing so is so obviously malicious...it's not even funny.

If you want to have unprotected sex with someone, and you know you have a sexually transmitted disease....tell them beforehand. If they still want to have sex, then no problem.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 8 2017 02:56pm)
There is ground breaking psychological treatment for the victim for only $100/hour for the rest of their life. It's totally fine. Oh, and i'm sure future rapists will think twice because...?

I think there's valid criticisms of this change in the laws, and that comparisons can be fairly made in order to further a point, but the comparison between this change and rape laws is a false comparison.
Gold: 28,113.00
Oct 8 2017 05:32pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 8 2017 11:58am)
of course its total insanity.

but we wouldn't want to stigmatize people maniacs who knowingly spread HIV.
or something

You mean black people?
Gold: 10,655.00
Oct 8 2017 05:36pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Oct 8 2017 07:30pm)
I think there's valid criticisms of this change in the laws, and that comparisons can be fairly made in order to further a point, but the comparison between this change and rape laws is a false comparison.

Pick your comparison.

How about companies that get sued for knowingly selling a bad product which harms others in some way?

/e I wonder how the CDC feels about this? If they think this is a good idea.

This post was edited by Ghot on Oct 8 2017 05:39pm
Gold: 11,456.00
Oct 8 2017 05:40pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Oct 8 2017 04:30pm)
I suppose I'm just being a stickler for semantics, but can it truly be a deterrence if most everyone doesn't even know that it exists? I think it more apt that it's merely a punishment, and not a deterrence, and the anecdote of how you'd feel if something like this happened to you I think reflects the punishment/vengeance aspect.

That's not how justice works. Just because i don't know a law does not somehow excuse me from facing the repercussions when i break said law. Punishment is an aspect of justice that needs to be fulfilled. Not punishing an aggressor robs society & the victim of justice.

This law is atrocious and does nothing to provide justice for a victim, it simply disregards a victim even exists which is even a greater injustice. Normalizing unethical & aggressive behavior is not going to benefit anyone.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Oct 8 2017 05:43pm
Oct 8 2017 05:59pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 8 2017 03:40pm)
That's not how justice works. Just because i don't know a law does not somehow excuse me from facing the repercussions when i break said law. Punishment is an aspect of justice that needs to be fulfilled. Not punishing an aggressor robs society & the victim of justice.

This law is atrocious and does nothing to provide justice for a victim, it simply disregards a victim even exists which is even a greater injustice. Normalizing unethical & aggressive behavior is not going to benefit anyone.

I'm not saying that ignorance of the law should provide immunity from the law at all. I'm just saying that the current laws don't accomplish anything as a "deterrent", but rather are purely punitive (as a description).

Further, they are punished, with a misdemeanor. So it's more a matter of you feeling that the punishment that will be present is insufficient, not that one doesn't exist at all.
Gold: 1,152.00
Oct 8 2017 06:19pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 8 2017 04:44pm)
Intentionally spreading HIV to unknowing victims is a very serious and malicious crime that permanently and dramatically alters the victim's life, and can lead to early death especially if they are not told about it. .

But that's not the topic of discussion.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Oct 8 2017 06:19pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456713Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll