d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Are Your Items Safe? > Diablo 2 Maint
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,189.49
Sep 29 2017 02:50pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 28 2017 06:52pm)
there's nothing that can really be done. the only thing to save us would be a "complete rollback" to before the maint.
i've recalled a lot of errors in maint over these years. honestly if they did do a rollback, somehow i'd almost bet it wouldn't go as planned and there could be a similar or larger issue.

At the end of 1.09 prior to 1.10 launching, Blizzard ran a full sweeping rust storm that scanned every single item for ID hash collisions on top of other sanity checks
It required taking the entire realm down and applying the same passive rust storm's checks to all servers combined into one database, which took a considerable amount of time and effort
The result was that every clashing item and item outside of sanity checks were destroyed before the servers went up

Of course, one obvious problem with doing such a thing again to 'fix' their own item duplication is that blizzard is responsible for these dupes, and by destroying all instances of the duped items, they're doing a major disservice to the people using them- a large chunk of items that were duped will simply never be noticed and won't ever clash again anyway. Its also not remotely worth the effort just to destroy some rare duped items caused by the migration since it was neither exploitable nor particularly widescale.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 29 2017 03:04pm
I got 4 characters rerolled, interestingly enough, the older ones came back with gear ( id say mules from 2 months ago )

and younger mules have stayed empty

Also, I ended up having 12 characters in my screen, every time you delete one, a new one (#9) (#10 ) etc appears

Cannot scroll down to get a reach to all 12 characters.
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 29 2017 03:35pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 29 2017 03:50pm)
At the end of 1.09 prior to 1.10 launching, Blizzard ran a full sweeping rust storm that scanned every single item for ID hash collisions on top of other sanity checks
It required taking the entire realm down and applying the same passive rust storm's checks to all servers combined into one database, which took a considerable amount of time and effort
The result was that every clashing item and item outside of sanity checks were destroyed before the servers went up

Of course, one obvious problem with doing such a thing again to 'fix' their own item duplication is that blizzard is responsible for these dupes, and by destroying all instances of the duped items, they're doing a major disservice to the people using them- a large chunk of items that were duped will simply never be noticed and won't ever clash again anyway. Its also not remotely worth the effort just to destroy some rare duped items caused by the migration since it was neither exploitable nor particularly widescale.

i won't disagree with anything said here, another rust storm could be an option i suppose. on the other end i can't imagine them doing this either.
it would still need a roll-back to "fix" it. otherwise people are just losing legit items at random according to a sequenced check. am i wrong?

with extra characters having extra items, i'm not sure how they would differentiate 1 from the other.
these characters are also not really extra's. more-so past versions that exist on our time-line.

This post was edited by tagged4nothing on Sep 29 2017 03:38pm
Gold: 50.00
Sep 29 2017 03:43pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 29 2017 10:35pm)

these characters are also not really extra's. more-so past versions that exist on our time-line.

this game is becoming a time machine :S

Gold: 8.73
Sep 29 2017 04:54pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 29 2017 04:35pm)
i won't disagree with anything said here, another rust storm could be an option i suppose. on the other end i can't imagine them doing this either.
it would still need a roll-back to "fix" it. otherwise people are just losing legit items at random according to a sequenced check. am i wrong?

with extra characters having extra items, i'm not sure how they would differentiate 1 from the other.

Deleting everyone's gear is not a fix
Gold: 9,050.00
Sep 29 2017 05:14pm
Did they downgrade the servers? I am noticeably more laggy than I was before Thursday. Anyone else experiencing this?
Gold: 97,069.69
Sep 29 2017 05:23pm
Cliffs:

Nothing is safe, the market will crash, uap s/a means nothing anymore. Self found is king, blizzard ruined the game for anyone that isn't ladder.
Gold: 8,860.00
Oct 1 2017 03:19am
Quote (dropship @ 29 Sep 2017 18:43)
So does this afffect Europe, or not?

Actually banning bot accounts ruined the game.
A lot of people that work would run their bot(s) and they would find the items for them. Then they would play their chars.
People who work could even get their keys banned every now and then, as long as characters stay (so Blizzard earns money).

Now if you want to play legit, you have to grind and no one who works can compete any more with no-lifers or kids, or people who had the best items.
With a bot, you could do it (at least a bit), without bot, not realistic, unless you are willing to spend money.

Killing bots = killing the game.

lol you are so stupid it's unreal. You're saying cheating made the game better lolol
Gold: 2,313.00
Oct 1 2017 07:31am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Oct 1 2017 04:19am)
lol you are so stupid it's unreal. You're saying cheating made the game better lolol

Actually what killed the game was blizzard ignoring their game so long that even players who were legit for years had to cheat to compete against the cheats. Then after over a decade of neglect they decide to start taking care of the game without warning? Asinine blizz devs.

I never resorted to cheating but sheesh was it tempting after having to struggle uphill against pvp hackers... And look they are still a problem.. Blizzard goes after pvm cheaters which only contribute to leveling and reducing costs for everyone. You may think its a problem.. But when you have to spend a fortune in fg on basic items, you may be singing a different tune.

This post was edited by Mewi on Oct 1 2017 07:32am
Gold: 31.00
Oct 2 2017 08:44am
Quote (Mewi @ Oct 1 2017 08:31am)
Actually what killed the game was blizzard ignoring their game so long that even players who were legit for years had to cheat to compete against the cheats. Then after over a decade of neglect they decide to start taking care of the game without warning? Asinine blizz devs.

I never resorted to cheating but sheesh was it tempting after having to struggle uphill against pvp hackers... And look they are still a problem.. Blizzard goes after pvm cheaters which only contribute to leveling and reducing costs for everyone. You may think its a problem.. But when you have to spend a fortune in fg on basic items, you may be singing a different tune.

You keep going back to talking about forum gold as if Blizzard cares at all about forum gold. They don’t want you on here trading items for forum gold. This is literally a black market for Diablo 2. Why can’t you understand that?
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll