d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Tower Speaker Rear Port Near Wall Sound > 1 Near Wall Other Away From Wall
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Aug 16 2017 07:06pm
So i got 2 klipsch rf 82 ii tower speakers. there are 2 rear ports on each tower speaker. sadly because of how my walls are shaped and room size, one speaker is around 8 inches from the wall and the rear is near a corner, like 1 ft from corner. the other speaker is a few feet from a wall and in a much wider corner thats a few feet around it.

so the left speaker tweeter seems to sound different the the right tweeter. i didnt think the wall or ports would affect the sound of the tweeter? the left speaker is near the corner and wall. it sounds much more warm and detailed. a bit more bass too.

the right speaker in open space sounds a bit more hallow sounding and airy. if that makes any sense.

i cant imagine the wall behind the ports would change the sound this much, but i guess so. i am considering plugging the ports on both so they should then sound more similar? is this safe to plug the port? does it help with airflow and keeping things cooler inside? and what would i plug the port with if its safe?

edit:

well the manual says this, but also says to not cover the port. i still wonder if its safe to do?

Although your Reference Series speakers will perform well in a wide variety of locations,you will get the most out of them by following some simple guidelines:
• The speakers require a few inches of clearance behind them to allow their ports to breath an they will sound best when they are at least two feet (60 centimeters) from any nearby walls.
• If possible,arrange both speakers so that they are equal distances from the floor and the wall behind them.It can also help to have the left and right speakers at different distances from their nearest side walls.This sort of staggering helps smooth the bass range.
• Any speaker’s bass output and response is strongly influenced by its distance from room
boundaries, such as walls and the floor. Moving a speaker closer to a room boundary will
increase its bass output, while moving it away will reduce the bass. Following the suggestions above will typically yield good results with Klipsch Reference Series floorstanding speakers, but you may find that you can "fine tune" the sound by moving them slightly from side to side or front to back until music recordings with strong bass content sound just right to you. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Aug 16 2017 07:13pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Aug 16 2017 07:45pm

...you can "fine tune" the sound by moving them slightly from side to side or front to back until music recordings with strong bass content sound just right to you. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

This
Aug 16 2017 10:09pm
Quote (Ghot @ Aug 16 2017 09:45pm)
This

but i dont think this should effect how the tweeter sounds? or does it?

also wondering about plugging both ports on both speakers. if its safe to do? and how to do it if safe?
Gold: 87.00
Aug 17 2017 12:25am
You should have your speakers at least 10" from the walls so they can breath freely. Plugging the ports wont effect high frequencies, only lower frequencies. What you are experiencing is either faulty speaker or room reflections, to rule out speaker fault you can switch speakers on their current locations and if same happens then you have room reflections. For room reflections you need to change your speaker locations, placing a speaker in corner is not ideal location for reflections. Can you draw a picture of your room layout and speaker / listaning positions?

Edit: And yes, it is safe to plug the ports but it will make the speakers sound different and they wont be able to go as low plugged, on some speakers this might also decrease the life spawn of elements. You can use foam plugs or rolled socks for example.

This post was edited by vittujenkevat on Aug 17 2017 12:29am
Aug 17 2017 02:27am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Aug 17 2017 02:25am)
You should have your speakers at least 10" from the walls so they can breath freely. Plugging the ports wont effect high frequencies, only lower frequencies. What you are experiencing is either faulty speaker or room reflections, to rule out speaker fault you can switch speakers on their current locations and if same happens then you have room reflections. For room reflections you need to change your speaker locations, placing a speaker in corner is not ideal location for reflections. Can you draw a picture of your room layout and speaker / listaning positions?

Edit: And yes, it is safe to plug the ports but it will make the speakers sound different and they wont be able to go as low plugged, on some speakers this might also decrease the life spawn of elements. You can use foam plugs or rolled socks for example.

ok thanks. first and easier thing i did was re attach each banana plug and make sure the connections were good.

the speakers are 62 lbs each and very little room to move them where they are, so i need to literally lift the speaker around 3.5 ft in the air over an object to move them. but i guess i have to. just was being lazy lol.

its peoples voices which sounds much warmer on the left speaker, which i believe should be sent to the tweeter mostly? but it also seems almost louder as well, in a weird way. its subtle but noticeable.
Aug 17 2017 02:52am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 17 Aug 2017 10:27)
ok thanks. first and easier thing i did was re attach each banana plug and make sure the connections were good.

the speakers are 62 lbs each and very little room to move them where they are, so i need to literally lift the speaker around 3.5 ft in the air over an object to move them. but i guess i have to. just was being lazy lol.

its peoples voices which sounds much warmer on the left speaker, which i believe should be sent to the tweeter mostly? but it also seems almost louder as well, in a weird way. its subtle but noticeable.

Vocals are mostly on midrange, don't know the crossover point of those speakers but I would assume that partly they come from woofers as I doubt those tweeters can't go so low. Corner placement most likely boosts the volume as well, are they from same distance to your listening position? As distance will also effect to the volume levels. Swapping the speaker positions is easiest way to tell if the pronlem is on your speakers or in the speaker placement. If the latter you should experiment where you get best room responses.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 17 2017 08:27am
FYI: High frequencies (what comes from the tweeters) are directional, so having the speakers aimed properly at the listening area is key. Low frequencies are omni-directional, which is why subwoofer placement isn't as key, as the bass travels in all directions.
Aug 17 2017 11:57am
Quote (Surfpunk @ 17 Aug 2017 16:27)
FYI: High frequencies (what comes from the tweeters) are directional, so having the speakers aimed properly at the listening area is key. Low frequencies are omni-directional, which is why subwoofer placement isn't as key, as the bass travels in all directions.

Even though "High" frequencies are directional they are prone for room reflections thus the speaker posioning is vital to achieve good sound reproduction. Having speakers in correct angle is important of course to have direct sound at your listening position but it does not help with room reflections . As you say "low frequencies" are omni-directional, that is true for frequencies around 80Hz and down, how ever room reflections affect them as well and need to be taken care off as they can cause nulls and peaks depending on room and placement.
Aug 17 2017 12:06pm
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Aug 17 2017 04:52am)
Vocals are mostly on midrange, don't know the crossover point of those speakers but I would assume that partly they come from woofers as I doubt those tweeters can't go so low. Corner placement most likely boosts the volume as well, are they from same distance to your listening position? As distance will also effect to the volume levels. Swapping the speaker positions is easiest way to tell if the pronlem is on your speakers or in the speaker placement. If the latter you should experiment where you get best room responses.

i think ive heard the crossover of these speakers is set to 1800 Hz. yes they are equal distance from listening position. and they are both angled a slight bit to face me.

Quote (Surfpunk @ Aug 17 2017 10:27am)

yea thats the thing that makes it confusing on why the sounds i think are coming from the tweeter sound so much different. i can understand the bass sounding different due to the corner placement, but the tweeter makes less sense to me.

Quote (vittujenkevat @ Aug 17 2017 01:57pm)
Even though "High" frequencies are directional they are prone for room reflections thus the speaker posioning is vital to achieve good sound reproduction. Having speakers in correct angle is important of course to have direct sound at your listening position but it does not help with room reflections . As you say "low frequencies" are omni-directional, that is true for frequencies around 80Hz and down, how ever room reflections affect them as well and need to be taken care off as they can cause nulls and peaks depending on room and placement.

i am only sitting around 9ft to 10 ft from the speakers. and they are horn loaded tweeters which i thought would help with sending the tweeter sound in a more straight path. but maybe not.
Aug 17 2017 12:16pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 17 Aug 2017 20:06)
i think ive heard the crossover of these speakers is set to 1800 Hz. yes they are equal distance from listening position. and they are both angled a slight bit to face me.

yea thats the thing that makes it confusing on why the sounds i think are coming from the tweeter sound so much different. i can understand the bass sounding different due to the corner placement, but the tweeter makes less sense to me.

i am only sitting around 9ft to 10 ft from the speakers. and they are horn loaded tweeters which i thought would help with sending the tweeter sound in a more straight path. but maybe not.

You will always have reflections from surfaces like walls, floor and furniture no matter of speaker design. Of course you could improve room acoustics with acoustic panels but that aint cheap and if you have limited space it might not be ideal either. Best thing you can do is to get the placement of speakers right and that is really important thing.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll