d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Want A New Chevy Camaro V6: Dealership Tips?
Prev1789
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 103.00
Aug 22 2017 05:57pm

2. Responsiveness: The responsiveness of the pedal (not the engine) is a bit odd. The first 1/3 to 1/2 of the pedal is more forgiving, controls less of the throttle than the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the pedal. I preferred the '06 Acura TL pedal, which was responsive evenly throughout pressing the pedal... more fun that way. But it just means I need to know that the first bit of the pedal on the Camaro is more forgiving, almost "mushier", designed to compensate for someone who has poor footwork. This doesn't change functionality, it just changes the way the car receives input, and to me it's a bit of a negative since superficially it makes responsiveness feel less than it actually is

it's automatic I assume? do you have a sport mode?

My bmw felt really slow and disappointing without smashing the gas, then put it on sport mode and feels much better
Gold: 125.00
Aug 28 2017 12:52am
Quote (h4bs @ Aug 22 2017 04:57pm)
it's automatic I assume? do you have a sport mode?

My bmw felt really slow and disappointing without smashing the gas, then put it on sport mode and feels much better

It's more just the way the pedal is. I have to get used to it. When I'm on highway I can drop speed because I'm not used to the pressure I should have on it.

Responds just fine, just... not a straight linear response curve. It's increasingly responsive, so the first bit of pressure feels almost worthless.

I have it in Sport 24/7 :)

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Aug 28 2017 12:52am
Gold: 3,385.09
Aug 30 2017 05:46pm
I know on my wifes Last Mini Cooper, the Pedal/Throttle was god awful. Basically slight tap, or full punch it bogged for like a second before it kicked in. It was horrible and I HATED driving it.
Gold: 125.00
Aug 31 2017 01:31pm
Quote (Toews777 @ Aug 30 2017 04:46pm)
I know on my wifes Last Mini Cooper, the Pedal/Throttle was god awful. Basically slight tap, or full punch it bogged for like a second before it kicked in. It was horrible and I HATED driving it.

This one isn't like that. In a couple poor amateur YouTube reviews, I thought that might be the case. For the turbo Camaro there is the turbo lag, but for the V6 Camaro the torque curve is very smooth. For best response I always go tiptronic, but automatic on this thing shifts well.

What I didn't realize is how the pedal works:

The first quarter of an inch of pressing the pedal does almost nothing. This has nothing to do with the engine, just the value the pedal press communicates to the engine.

The first 25% (approx) after that first little bit is awkward. Your RPM's and the automatic gear selection don't move much, it's very little, and the response isn't totally linear either). This makes staying the right speed on the highway something to get used to, or accelerating faster but not too fast a bit of something to get used to. On my mom's Acura, the pedal controls the car linearly, which feels better.

Now that I've gotten to know the car, I feel like the car responds very well. The lag was just because I wasn't sure how far the pedal should be, because it wasn't intuitive and linear.

Wish they wouldn't do that though. No one buys a Camaro to have forced fuel efficiency built into the pedal. It's a way of helping bad drivers accelerate more smoothly... and I just want linear response, the first inch of the pedal should affect the car as much as the last inch does.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev1789
Add Reply New Topic New Poll