d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > War With North Korea
Prev1186187188189190199Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
May 24 2018 08:52am
Quote (IceMage @ May 24 2018 08:49am)
I like this move by Trump. Now North Korea understands that he's willing to walk away. Maybe this is bad for peace in the short run, but Kim Jong Un meeting with the POTUS is a big fucking deal for North Korea, and now it's not going to happen because of their inflammatory rhetoric.

meeting with the US without getting massive concessions would actually be a neutral or loss in propaganda. forcing trump to cancel is having the same "tough guy" appearance for Kim in NK that Trump is getting in the US. its not hugely boosting, but running off the scary americans isn't a PR loss.
Gold: 5,016.77
May 24 2018 09:10am
#DPRK counterparts, during past several days, did not respond to inquiries from summit planners on the American side, @SecPompeo tells @SenatorMenendez during testimony on the Hill.

Quote (thesnipa @ May 24 2018 09:52am)
meeting with the US without getting massive concessions would actually be a neutral or loss in propaganda. forcing trump to cancel is having the same "tough guy" appearance for Kim in NK that Trump is getting in the US. its not hugely boosting, but running off the scary americans isn't a PR loss.

That's hard to believe.

Kim wants the world to accept that his country will never get rid of all their nukes, so a meeting with the POTUS where he doesn't agree to real denuclearization seems like it would be a win, especially when the foreign minister is talking shit right up until the summit. I don't see how continued isolation and horrid conditions in North Korea make Kim look stronger than some slow moving diplomacy.

This post was edited by IceMage on May 24 2018 09:11am
Gold: 68.00
Trader: Trusted
May 24 2018 09:13am
Quote (IceMage @ May 24 2018 09:49am)
I like this move by Trump. Now North Korea understands that he's willing to walk away. Maybe this is bad for peace in the short run, but Kim Jong Un meeting with the POTUS is a big fucking deal for North Korea, and now it's not going to happen because of their inflammatory rhetoric.

agreed
Gold: 17,384.69
May 24 2018 09:40am
The "truth" is extremely simple: NK & US need each others to legitimize 1/their regime 2/their military bases

Much hot air for nothing, they have the bomb, they may do others ballistic tests.

Better focus back on Mueller investigation now :lol:
Gold: 22,189.49
May 24 2018 09:51am
Quote (IceMage @ May 24 2018 08:49am)

I swear... it's like half of the shit they do is a SNL skit.

My gut reaction is negative. Is it better to barrel recklessly into a disadvantageous peace or wall on a knifes edge in measured tones? Momentum can bring bigger change, stalling can kill it. The fact is, the DPRK is not going to give up their nukes and has no reason to. But we can bring them into the modern world as a legitimized power that doesnt pose amy imminent threat. And thats what we could have done, rhetoric and haggling be damned.

Now, I dont doubt this move is good for Trump . He quit on his terms with hostages freed and the nuke site demolished and taking the high ground. But while Im far from doomsaying, I dont think its the better outcome for world peace. Give me a chamberlain
Gold: 17,384.69
May 24 2018 09:57am
Quote (Goomshill @ 24 May 2018 16:51)
Now, I dont doubt this move is good for Trump. He quit on his terms with hostages freed and the nuke site demolished and taking the high ground. But while Im far from doomsaying, I dont think its the better outcome for world peace. Give me a chamberlain

I dont think so, he's ending up with a dead otto wambier, the nuke site was unusable before its own demolition joke, and his presidency will undergo more ballistics tests or shits insults.

Orange agent strike again. This is interesting: now i have the feeling that U.S does not want peace... And NK appears as a legitimate and mature country.

This is not a good point for U.S and Trump, more likely a fail.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on May 24 2018 10:05am
Gold: 0.00
May 24 2018 10:03am
He got some really, really fucking stupid people to put his name in the same sentence as Nobel Peace prize without actually having to do anything. Pretty sure he'll view that as a tremendous victory and have another Time magazine cover fabricated over it.
Gold: 5,016.77
May 24 2018 10:06am
Quote (Goomshill @ May 24 2018 10:51am)
My gut reaction is negative. Is it better to barrel recklessly into a disadvantageous peace or wall on a knifes edge in measured tones? Momentum can bring bigger change, stalling can kill it. The fact is, the DPRK is not going to give up their nukes and has no reason to. But we can bring them into the modern world as a legitimized power that doesnt pose amy imminent threat. And thats what we could have done, rhetoric and haggling be damned.

Now, I dont doubt this move is good for Trump. He quit on his terms with hostages freed and the nuke site demolished and taking the high ground. But while Im far from doomsaying, I dont think its the better outcome for world peace. Give me a chamberlain

Based on the reporting I'm listening to since the announcement, it sounds like North Korea was being less and less cooperative in recent days. The administration feared that Kim wouldn't even show up. Now perhaps we'll let the experts and diplomats set the foundation better before a summit.

I do find it funny the one time I agree with the orange buffoon, you disagree. :lol:
Gold: 2,009.99
May 24 2018 10:13am
Quote (chemoshots @ May 24 2018 11:03am)
He got some really, really fucking stupid people to put his name in the same sentence as Nobel Peace prize without actually having to do anything.

I know right, it’d be a travesty if they started just handing these things out for no reason
Gold: 0.00
May 24 2018 10:23am
Quote (IgoSoHard @ May 24 2018 04:13pm)
I know right, it’d be a travesty if they started just handing these things out for no reason
https://m.popkey.co/616e4a/VoOGV.gif

Tbh, I don't know what the rationale was with Obama. But the black man can't hurt you now. He's gone.

Really good whataboutism though. Really good.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1186187188189190199Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll