d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > RuneScape >
Poll > Will 2006scape Get Shut Down By Jagex?
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 8.98
Warn: 20%
Jun 22 2012 11:37pm
Quote (Spicyhash @ Jun 23 2012 01:28am)
Hi everyone,

This is Mod Steve from 2006Scape.  I just wanted to post to clear up a few concerns you might about the server and/or the website.

In regards to the post above:  A person by name of "Toil" compromised the owner (Vault)'s email and was able to gain access to the domain host control panel and change the details.  The details for the domain have since been changed back to the correct details; you can see here: http://who.is/whois/2006scape.com
About the news post regarding Mod Nick's cancer:  RS2006 and 2006Scape are the same site.  RS2006 was not shut down, we just changed domain names because of the gold-selling site gold4rs being shut down for having 'rs' in its name.
"Toil" and his website bugabuse are infamous for hacking and defacing websites and recovering accounts by utilizing social engineering to manipulate the rightful owners into revealing personal details about themselves that are then used to recover email accounts which leads to other accounts (hosting, domain, paypal, etc) being stolen.  We are in no way affiliated with them.

We have been victim of multiple denial of service attacks since we started this project and really the only thing you can do about it is throw money at it.  Either way the people behind it win.  I personally don't want any misconceptions about the project because despite how it looks, we have good intentions.  It's unfortunate that due to a lack of being educated on the topic, people come to false conclusions and almost always expect the worst.  The data for the website is 100% safe and all of the accounts and emails are in our control.  There isn't anything we can do about the denial of service attacks but wait for our host to find a solution/mitigate them.

In terms of finances:
The server we have right now for the website costs a little under $500 a month.  The actual servers for the game will be hosted by Blacklotus.net and will cost a similar amount.  We don't stand to profit from any of the donations and all of the donations are going toward the cost of the servers.  I wasn't told to write this by anybody, I just wanted to shed some light on the recent events and inform people.

Thanks.

edit: the twitter was updated tho it's still really funny that this is happening in the wake of the alpha event or whatever it was.

They haven't given an explanation why people are DDoS attacking the site in the first place

Obviously someone is pissed off or they wouldn't be trying to ruin the site.

This post was edited by Jagx on Jun 22 2012 11:42pm
Gold: 1,807.00
Jun 22 2012 11:37pm
so rs2006 changed to 2006scape or did i miss something? :o
Gold: 0.00
Jun 22 2012 11:53pm
Quote (Jagx @ Jun 22 2012 10:37pm)
edit: the twitter was updated tho it's still really funny that this is happening in the wake of the alpha event or whatever it was.

They haven't  given an explanation why people are DDoS attacking the site in the first place

Obviously someone is pissed off or they wouldn't be trying to ruin the site.

It's because of how big the site has become. Just the other day Markeedragon made a video about the site and touched on some legal issues. It looks bad from the outside because of the other times it was said the server would be up. The only reason it was delayed was because people were demanding a release date and so Vault caved in and gave one to them. We didn't meet it because of some developers being lazy at times and people ended up disappointed. Even if we hadn't delayed the launch the others times, it would have been attacked on release also. It just seems like there are people who just don't want this to come to fruition. I don't believe Jagex is personally behind it, but there are people who just take pleasure in other people's suffering.

@Oliver - Yes, we changed to 2006Scape.com due to Gold4rs being taken down for having 'rs' in their name as I stated in my first post.

I think one of the main reasons that people dislike Vault is because of a previous project he had: RS2007. The project was a failure due to the base source that was used and hosting the initial testing phase on his home computer. It was full of bugs and so it was decided that they would make RS2006 with a cut-off date of May 15th, 2006. The reason for this cut-off date is because on the 16th of May, there was a game engine update which updated interfaces and other mechanics in the game. This is the reason why there will be no construction or hunter in the server, even though they were released in 2006.
Jun 23 2012 12:01am
Quote (Spicyhash @ Jun 23 2012 01:53am)
It's because of how big the site has become.  Just the other day Markeedragon made a video about the site and touched on some legal issues.  It looks bad from the outside because of the other times it was said the server would be up.  The only reason it was delayed was because people were demanding a release date and so Vault caved in and gave one to them.  We didn't meet it because of some developers being lazy at times and people ended up disappointed.  Even if we hadn't delayed the launch the others times, it would have been attacked on release also.  It just seems like there are people who just don't want this to come to fruition. I don't believe Jagex is personally behind it, but there are people who just take pleasure in other people's suffering.

@Oliver - Yes, we changed to 2006Scape.com due to Gold4rs being taken down for having 'rs' in their name as I stated in my first post. 

I think one of the main reasons that people dislike Vault is because of a previous project he had: RS2007.  The project was a failure due to the base source that was used and hosting the initial testing phase on his home computer.  It was full of bugs and so it was decided that they would make RS2006 with a cut-off date of May 15th, 2006.  The reason for this cut-off date is because on the 16th of May, there was a game engine update which updated interfaces and other mechanics in the game.  This is the reason why there will be no construction or hunter in the server, even though they were released in 2006.

Ok you covered rs2007 having problems

Explain why I'm reading allegations that the database was hacked and the source code was also leaked from Backtrack @ power bot site?

He says the source is a joke and that you guys are just running a scam organization to take peoples money from all 3 of your spoof websites that keep getting replaced by another one.

You've got to admit it looks very suspicious to anyone who investigates it.

Also do you mind explaining why donations are mandatory to take part in the alpha event planned this weekend.
How can you even charge money for something you don't even own (Jagex copyright)

Edit: and I'm watching the Markeedragon video and even he thinks this is a joke..

This post was edited by Jagx on Jun 23 2012 12:10am
Gold: 116.00
Jun 23 2012 12:10am
there are legal ways around them being shut down, they just have to find them.
Jagex could still go after them and sue for any proceeds, it is a really weird issue to figure out all of the legal matters.
Jun 23 2012 12:11am
Quote (Jagx @ Jun 23 2012 06:01am)

Explain why I'm reading allegations that the database was hacked and the source code was also leaked from Backtrack @ power bot site?

He says the source is a joke and that you guys are just running a scam organization to take peoples money from all 3 of your spoof websites that keep getting replaced by another one.

Also do you mind explaining why donations are mandatory to take part in the alpha event planned this weekend.
How can you even charge money for something you don't even own (Jagex copyright)

Edit: and I'm watching the Markeedragon video and even he thinks this is a joke..

The pre-alpha is mainly for bug testing, afte the pre-alpha up all stats/ items will be reset
Jun 23 2012 12:12am
Quote (Jagx @ Jun 22 2012 11:01pm)

It wouldn't be the first time someone has "charged" or taken donations for in-game items on a private server. Near reality, Soul split, they all have extensive donor shops with items that people pay real money for in order to gain an edge in the game.
Pre-alpha is just to give people a reason to donate. Since having in-game items that you can buy, or "donate" for with real money gives an unfair advantage over players who can't afford to, we didn't want to go down that path. Pre-alpha is supposed to be a very early testing phase in any game's development. We thought that giving donors access to pre-alpha to test the game and to find and reports bugs was easily better than letting them buy items and causing an imbalance in the game. Pre-alpha stats will be reset as the experience rate will be 10x - yet another unfair advantage to players who couldn't donate, if stats were to be saved.

The allegations that the database was hacked are true. The server was hacked around April 13th and the database along with the website files was leaked. The person who "hacked" the website used social engineering in conjunction with some googling order to get answers to the owner's recovery questions and take over the server hosting account. It was partially Vault's fault for not realizing what kind of position he was in, and how many people would be out to get him.

So far, the only website that has been "replaced" was Rs2007, and I believe I addressed that in my previous post. I personally have not seen the source for the server as only the server developers have access to it, so I can't comment on how well it's written. I have played the server on multiple occasions and it is actually pretty decent. There are bugs that do need working out, but that is the purpose of pre-alpha.

This post was edited by Spicyhash on Jun 23 2012 12:14am
Jun 23 2012 12:15am
Quote (Spicyhash @ Jun 23 2012 02:12am)
It wouldn't be the first time someone has "charged" or taken donations for in-game items on a private server.  Near reality, Soul split, they all have extension donor shops with items that people pay real money for in order to gain an edge in the game.
Pre-alpha was just to give people a reason to donate. Since having in-game items that you can buy, or "donate" for with real money gives an unfair advantage over players who can't afford to, we didn't want to go down that path.  Pre-alpha is supposed to be a very early testing phase in any game's development. We thought that giving donors access to pre-alpha to test the game and to find and reports bugs was easily better than letting them buy items and causing an imbalance in the game.  Pre-alpha stats will be reset as the experience rate will be 10x - yet another unfair advantage to players who couldn't donate, if stats were to be saved.

The allegations that the database was hacked are true.  The server was hacked around April 13th and the database along with the website files was leaked.  The person who "hacked" the website used social engineering in conjunction with some googling order to get answers to the owner's recovery questions and take over the server hosting account.  It was partially Vault's fault for not realizing what kind of position he was in, and how many people would be out to get him. 

So far, the only website that has been "replaced" was Rs2007, and I believe I addressed that in my previous post.  I personally have not seen the source for the server as only the server developers have access to it, so I can't comment on how well it's written.  I have played the server on multiple occasions and it is actually pretty decent.  There are bugs that do need working out, but that is the purpose of pre-alpha.

Well there you have it people.

They were hacked I guess 2 times now? Once for the database and 2nd from Bugabuse? or was this all at the same time?

Regardless. Peoples information that they probably use on other sites, such as account names and logins were stolen.

Not to mention that you claim no profit is made from this, yet that makes no sense. Where is all the extra money going to? Do you send the extra to Save the Children or something?
Jun 23 2012 12:24am
Quote (Jagx @ Jun 22 2012 11:15pm)
Well there you have it people.

They were hacked I guess 2 times now? Once for the database and 2nd from Bugabuse? or was this all at the same time?

Regardless. Peoples information that they probably use on other sites, such as account names and logins were stolen.

Not to mention that you claim no profit is made from this, yet that makes no sense. Where is all the extra money going to? Do you send the extra to Save the Children or something?

The first time we were hacked was by Toil from bugabuse. The second time was the same person. All he did was change the account details for the domain name, nothing else. It wasn't as serious as the first time but it definitely shouldn't have happened. There really is no excuse for the database getting leaked, but what's done is done. It was fortunate for them at the time that they didn't store emails. The web dev who was here when I was hired used a common encryption method that is used by popular forum software like Invision Power Board. This made it easier for the hackers to use brute force programs and try all of the passwords and salts against a huge dictionary of words.

I claim no profit is being made from it because that is what I believe to be true and that is what I've been told. The money I would assume is kept in the Paypal account. As I said in an earlier post, right now we do spend about $500 a month on the server for the website. The cost for running more servers for pre-alpha and eventually alpha/beta/release will be even higher. The amount of donations we receive compared to a site like Soulsplit is fractional. The owner of Soulsplit is going on skydiving trips with the money he makes from donations. Then again, all I can really say about what is done with donations is what I'm told by Vault. I'm just the web developer/server administrator (and before you ask: I wasn't part of the team when the site was originally hacked.) and don't have any REAL knowledge as to what is done with the money. I do know that it is illegal for Vault to profit from the donations as things like the cache and graphics on the website may be copyright/intellectual property of Jagex.
Jun 23 2012 12:25am
All I have to say is throw up the bullshit flag and cut your losses, because regardless if its con or not, who the hell would admit to taking people's money for a invisible server. I mean for the hope of the people who did donate a few bucks, I hope they do bring it out. In the end, it is what it is.
Go Back To RuneScape Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll