d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1556557558559560874Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,140.00
Jun 17 2019 11:02pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Jun 17 2019 09:33pm)
2 elite + good depth turns most teams into contenders lol. I don't disagree with your logic but problem is that Benning's moves have been a complete cacophony. First, give up picks for mediocre talent to try to retool to no avail... then overpay for veterans... then let veterans walk and do what exactly? We're bottom 3 in the blue line, bottom 5 in forwards and bottom 10 in goaltending. Hughes and DiPietro are our only blue-chip prospects (esp. with Juolevi looking like a bust). If he doesn't intend to make a genuine run for the playoffs he has to stockpile futures since we're so far removed from being relevant, but hanging onto Edler and other vets back in February makes no sense if that was the plan all along.

Not defending Benning's plan, just this move in a vacuum.

Most people with a brain would agree his work has been a disaster overall.
Gold: 8,732.50
Jun 17 2019 11:42pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 17 Jun 2019 21:33)
2 elite + good depth turns most teams into contenders lol. I don't disagree with your logic but problem is that Benning's moves have been a complete cacophony. First, give up picks for mediocre talent to try to retool to no avail... then overpay for veterans... then let veterans walk and do what exactly? We're bottom 3 in the blue line, bottom 5 in forwards and bottom 10 in goaltending. Hughes and DiPietro are our only blue-chip prospects (esp. with Juolevi looking like a bust). If he doesn't intend to make a genuine run for the playoffs he has to stockpile futures since we're so far removed from being relevant, but hanging onto Edler and other vets back in February makes no sense if that was the plan all along.

You can't blame Benning for not getting shit for edler though, edler used his ntc and didn't wanna move out of vancouver. However he takes all the blame for waiting too long on players that we all knew shoulda been traded when they had more value like Tanev.
Though I gotta give credit to him for trading away some players he felt wasn't in his future plans like Burrows, Hansen, shinky etc.

Also aquaman didn't approve of a rebuild til like 2 yrs ago. So in his 5 yrs, 3 was wasted trying to retool on the fly trying to please the owner, but at least now he got the green light from aqua and it seems like they're on the same page at least.

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 17 2019 11:43pm
Gold: 12,140.00
Jun 17 2019 11:52pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jun 17 2019 10:42pm)
Also aquaman didn't approve of a rebuild til like 2 yrs ago. So in his 5 yrs, 3 was wasted trying to retool on the fly trying to please the owner, but at least now he got the green light from aqua and it seems like they're on the same page at least.

I don't let Benning off the hook for the first two years. When he took the job, he obviously agreed with the owner that he could turn it around quick. It's on him for believing in that idiotic plan.

Nobody would have taken the job if they knew it was setup for failure. If Benning can't turn this around soon it'll be a huge black mark on his resume, doubt he'll ever get be a GM again.

This post was edited by LuLer on Jun 17 2019 11:53pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Jun 17 2019 11:53pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jun 18 2019 06:42am)
You can't blame Benning for not getting shit for edler though, edler used his ntc and didn't wanna move out of vancouver. However he takes all the blame for waiting too long on players that we all knew shoulda been traded when they had more value like Tanev.
Though I gotta give credit to him for trading away some players he felt wasn't in his future plans like Burrows, Hansen, shinky etc.

Hard to gauge how much blame Aquaman (and formerly Linden) gets here, does Benning really have a lame-duck position like Dorion in Ottawa? I agree that trades like Burrows and Hansen were the right moves and I'll even praise him for cleaning up his own Gudbranson mess but the whole picture is still confused. The timing is also pretty bad for a full rebuild... Horvat, Petterson and Boeser are all ready to compete but by the time we're in a position to add the necessary pieces they'll be commanding top dollar.
Jun 18 2019 01:26am
Quote (LuLer @ 17 Jun 2019 22:52)
I don't let Benning off the hook for the first two years. When he took the job, he obviously agreed with the owner that he could turn it around quick. It's on him for believing in that idiotic plan.

Nobody would have taken the job if they knew it was setup for failure. If Benning can't turn this around soon it'll be a huge black mark on his resume, doubt he'll ever get be a GM again.

Well he did, when they made the playoffs in his 1st year with the team, which made Aquaman even more delusional thinking he was right. It's funny though, at the time majority of fans & media also thought it was possible too.
It was only after end of 2nd yr it was clear as day that we needed a rebuild. However Aquaman/Benning still didn't admit to a rebuild, but at least they admitted to a full rebuild last year.

Quote (Hizkuntza @ 17 Jun 2019 22:53)
Hard to gauge how much blame Aquaman (and formerly Linden) gets here, does Benning really have a lame-duck position like Dorion in Ottawa? I agree that trades like Burrows and Hansen were the right moves and I'll even praise him for cleaning up his own Gudbranson mess but the whole picture is still confused. The timing is also pretty bad for a full rebuild... Horvat, Petterson and Boeser are all ready to compete but by the time we're in a position to add the necessary pieces they'll be commanding top dollar.

Horvat's ready to compete now imo, but Boeser/Petey is still pretty young and got a lot of time to be even better. Benning should be fired by then, and someone else will probably surround the core benning created to compete for playoffs
Gold: 17,801.00
Jun 18 2019 07:18pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Jun 17 2019 10:53pm)

I think Linden left early on because he realized he had no say in what was going on due to a meddling ownership group.

Benning stuck around because he was either a complete moron thinking a retool would bring the team back into contender status or he was just being a yes man because he did not want to risk his job.

To this day I am not sure how much control he actually has over key decisions that happen. As others have said I think ownership has agreed to a rebuild but I would not be surprised if there was still some meddling going on.
Jun 18 2019 09:07pm
Well Benning was at risk getting fired, but linden stuck up for him and things got okay. But then when shit went down, Benning ultimately sided with aquaman instead of having linden's back lol.
However, I think I also read recently that Trevor wanted Petey to spend at least a year in ahl and not rush him to the league, whereas aqua/Benning felt he was ready to play in NHL.

Aquaman is a pos though, denying water to foreign employees lol what the fuck.

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 18 2019 09:08pm
Jun 20 2019 02:02pm
Edler got 6x2. Will be UFA when expansion draft kicks in. Good job Benning.
Jun 20 2019 04:34pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 20 Jun 2019 13:02)
Edler got 6x2. Will be UFA when expansion draft kicks in. Good job Benning.

Also if Seattle expansion happens sooner than expected, there's a clause he can be exposed, despite having full nmc in those 2yrs

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 20 2019 04:34pm
Jun 20 2019 04:43pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jun 20 2019 11:34pm)
Also if Seattle expansion happens sooner than expected, there's a clause he can be exposed, despite having full nmc in those 2yrs

Foresight? From our GM? Wow wtf
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1556557558559560874Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll