d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Myaddiction's Melee Guide V1.07 -- Finished
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,096.55
Aug 5 2008 03:41pm
Quote (OoOpeterOoO @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 06:08am)
ofc it does, if you use an Axe then you stat all str, if you use a sword then all dex

Great you didn't explain why.

Quote (seifersan @ Mon, Aug 4 2008, 07:54pm)
I noticed a problem with the guide.

You're suggesting melee.

Quote (josephcraig @ Mon, Aug 4 2008, 10:51pm)
Will you explain this to me?

Another
thing Rouges are the easiest for new players to use. You can get a lvl
55 staff with 150ee for about 1/3 the price of a club and like 1/4 the
price of a sword. So going rouge would probably be most benefitial to
new(cool.gif players

If
you plan on using axes, you should use all points into strength. If you
plan on using swords, you should use all points into dexterity.

All weapons have the same Average dmg before an EE modifier. A crit shot isn't always the top end. Example a sword could say have a range of 10-100 and if u did a crit shot on a 10 dmg shot you'd do 20-30dmg.

Now if u use an Axe and your dmg is 50-60 and you do Crit Shots it's going to be more noticable.

On both my Climbs this season I've used a combonation of swords, clubs, axes on my climb and have used the same dext/str combo. There is deminishing returns on Dexterity and that's why most of the best players use 120-140 dext then the rest the stats go straight to Strength.

Another reason to use Str after you get a good amount of Dext is because when you have a high amount of dext and more points into dext isn't going to help you crit more often dext won't do anything but add more % onto crit shots. But Strength add's dmg to your base dmg, which means it adds even more to your dmg when you crit.

Dext adds ~1% dmg to a crit shot
Str adds an average of .95% dmg to your base dmg

Therefor if you say have 100 dext it means your Crits do 3X dmg.
So at that point if you add 1 point into dext you get 1% more dmg on crits only
But if you add into Str you will get .95% on ur base which Adds up to 2.85% on crits(1.85% more than dext) and you will always hit harder because of strength
Gold: 12.01
Aug 5 2008 04:15pm
nice guide mate
1 piece of constructive criticism:

you mention "break points" for dex
now we all know what you mean but that could give a new slasher the wrong idea of the nature of ls

may i suggest "diminished returns" or something of that nature so they don't go hunting for a magic number when it all flicks from one to the other, it is often a cause of confusion for beginners.

very tidily put together though, most appealing in style i have seen for some time.
Gold: 509.01
Aug 5 2008 05:53pm
ty. your guide is very interesting. (makes good regen reading. lol ). ty for all the info. happy.gif be good.
Gold: 15,102.52
Aug 5 2008 05:59pm
Quote (josephcraig @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 04:41pm)

All weapons have the same Average dmg before an EE modifier. A crit shot isn't always the top end. Example a sword could say have a range of 10-100 and if u did a crit shot on a 10 dmg shot you'd do 20-30dmg.

Now if u use an Axe and your dmg is 50-60 and you do Crit Shots it's going to be more noticable.

On both my Climbs this season I've used a combonation of swords, clubs, axes on my climb and have used the same dext/str combo. There is deminishing returns on Dexterity and that's why most of the best players use 120-140 dext then the rest the stats go straight to Strength.

Another reason to use Str after you get a good amount of Dext is because when you have a high amount of dext and more points into dext isn't going to help you crit more often dext won't do anything but add more % onto crit shots. But Strength add's dmg to your base dmg, which means it adds even more to your dmg when you crit.

But if you add into Str you will get .95% on ur base which Adds up to 2.85% on crits(1.85% more than dext) and you will always hit harder because of strength

If you're using axes, you want consistent damage.
Based on that theory, while using axes you want to put all into strength, because you're playing for the average, not for the criticals.

If you're using swords, you want to have high-end crits.
Based on that theory, while using swords you want to put all into dexterity, because you're trying to hit as high as possible as many times as possible.

And putting all into dex as a swordsman also helps reduce the amount of damage you take from critical hits while you're waiting to get your critical hit.
Gold: 22.50
Aug 5 2008 06:17pm
Quote (seifersan @ Tue, 5 Aug 2008, 19:59)
Based on that theory, while using axes you want to put all into strength, because you're playing for the average, not for the criticals.

Based on that theory, while using swords you want to put all into dexterity, because you're trying to hit as high as possible as many times as possible.

And putting all into dex as a swordsman also helps reduce the amount of damage you take from critical hits while you're waiting to get your critical hit.

I usually don't agree with you, but for once you have spoken with some intelligence. thumbsup.gif

This post was edited by MyAddiction on Aug 5 2008 06:17pm
Gold: 4,096.55
Aug 5 2008 06:41pm
Quote (seifersan @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 03:59pm)
Quote (josephcraig @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 04:41pm)

All
weapons have the same Average dmg before an EE modifier. A crit shot
isn't always the top end. Example a sword could say have a range of
10-100 and if u did a crit shot on a 10 dmg shot you'd do 20-30dmg.

On
both my Climbs this season I've used a combonation of swords, clubs,
axes on my climb and have used the same dext/str combo. There is
deminishing returns on Dexterity and that's why most of the best
players use 120-140 dext then the rest the stats go straight to
Strength.

Another reason to use Str after you get a good amount
of Dext is because when you have a high amount of dext and more points
into dext isn't going to help you crit more often dext won't do
anything but add more % onto crit shots. But Strength add's dmg to your
base dmg, which means it adds even more to your dmg when you crit.

But
if you add into Str you will get .95% on ur base which Adds up to 2.85%
on crits(1.85% more than dext) and you will always hit harder because
of strength

Based
on that theory, while using axes you want to put all into strength,
because you're playing for the average, not for the criticals.

Based
on that theory, while using swords you want to put all into dexterity,
because you're trying to hit as high as possible as many times as
possible.

And putting all into dex as a swordsman also helps
reduce the amount of damage you take from critical hits while you're
waiting to get your critical hit.

I completely disagree. There's deminishing returns on dext. meaning going all out dext isn't going to help much in the high ends. I've heard different numbers of what is best but the common idea is 120-150. So right now my fighter has 140 dext and 140 str using a club. So it would of been better to have 230 dext and 50 str?
Gold: 5,913.12
Aug 5 2008 06:55pm
Quote (josephcraig @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 09:41pm)

i agree with this smile.gif...nice guide tho

This post was edited by sdmtitans on Aug 5 2008 06:56pm
Gold: 15,102.52
Aug 5 2008 07:37pm
Quote (josephcraig @ Tue, Aug 5 2008, 07:41pm)
I completely disagree. There's deminishing returns on dext. meaning going all out dext isn't going to help much in the high ends. I've heard different numbers of what is best but the common idea is 120-150. So right now my fighter has 140 dext and 140 str using a club. So it would of been better to have 230 dext and 50 str?

Yes, the diminishing returns cause the dexterity to be capped in damage to approximately 150 maximum. Damage isn't the only thing dexterity adds.
Gold: 22.50
Aug 5 2008 07:47pm
Quote (seifersan @ Tue, 5 Aug 2008, 21:37)
Yes, the diminishing returns cause the dexterity to be capped in damage to approximately 150 maximum. Damage isn't the only thing dexterity adds.

I really can't believe I'm siding with you on this.

@Josephcraig:

You are totally missing the fact dexterity will add defense, and your are missing the fact that your crits depends on the monsters dexterity amount. If you have less dexterity you will do less critical hits icon_pointr.gif yes this is why wells are so hard for melee.

Whether you like it or not adding strength points on a character based solely upon the sword is ridiculous. Swords are all over the place, and to be honest I'd rather be hitting higher top end to make up for the low end hits, and I would like to be hitting top end hits more often.

Now that I've answered your question please bring your debate elsewhere. This is simply a guide for the beginner.

If you need a guide once you have learned the basics... just wow.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 5,010.77
Trader: Trusted
Aug 5 2008 07:47pm
I almost have 150 dex total on my rogue with all my gear on, and I'm only lvl 16.

Advice? Maybe put some into str/vita?
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll