d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Thoughts On Healthcare For All In Usa
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.91
Warn: 10%
Mar 21 2024 06:06am
Quote (Ashirgo @ Mar 21 2024 06:54am)
A bunch of parasites having to find another corpse to prey upon? Fine by me :)

Also: a few CEOs not able to afford their next yacht? Damn, not sure if the society can bear this incredible sacrifice. :)

Critical thinking isn't a strong suit of yours is it?
Gold: 16,131.74
Mar 21 2024 06:21am
Quote (Bruv @ Mar 20 2024 10:44pm)
A lot of US GDP comes from insanely overvalued products and services. Look at companies like Apple and Nvidia for instance. They make 70% gross profit easy on that junk.

Calling what Apple and Nvidia create "that junk" is quite funny. Apple is the company that creates the phone the majority of people based on US use for their banking, telecommunications, internet access, etc. Nvidia is the company that's created a lot of the innovations in the current field of computing and machine learning. You literally choose two companies that have contributed massively to our modern landscape of computing and communication.

Gold: 23,046.71
Mar 21 2024 06:51am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Mar 20 2024 10:01pm)
The hospital charges me $5000 with a $100 deductible. My insurance only pays the hospital $700 and I don't pay anything else. I don't see the issue with the current system.

Sounds like you got the shittiest high-deductible plan possible.

If everyone had that type of state insurance, it would drive up the costs because the supply isn't changing under an increased demand. Either that, or you would have to wait 4 months to see a doctor like in Canada or the UK.

There are many places in America you are waiting 4 months to see a physician. ER wait times are also as bad in many places As our syrup drinking friends

iirc you are diabetic yes? Just wait until your insurance company changes coverage on your insulin for literally no reason and you and your doc are forced to switch to other types of insulin and go through unnecessary trouble shooting

This post was edited by Bazi on Mar 21 2024 06:51am
Gold: 48,587.69
Mar 21 2024 07:35am
Quote (Bruv @ Mar 21 2024 02:44am)
I think the downside is that A LOT of people are going to lose their jobs with an industry overhaul. We're talking a multi trillion dollar industry getting flipped upside down. It's gonna hurt. But that's the dirty part not a lot of people want to talk about.

To expand upon my previous reply: if we split the people somehow directly or indirectly working in healthcare along the lines of pure profiteering vs. actual meaningful contributions, there are two groups of workers:
- actual physicians, hospital staff, pharma RnD people etc.
- the massive flock of sales people / marketing / lobby groups / corporate shareholders

The latter part will of course lose their jobs, but arguably you don't need them anyway. I would expect the impact on the first group to be fairly minimal, because they are already overworked today, actually helping people. Maybe they will make a bit less money in some cases, but people have been saying here anyway that most of the extra money goes to the corporates.

Gold: 2,617.52
Mar 21 2024 08:23am
Quote (Bazi @ Mar 21 2024 08:51am)
There are many places in America you are waiting 4 months to see a physician. ER wait times are also as bad in many places As our syrup drinking friends

iirc you are diabetic yes? Just wait until your insurance company changes coverage on your insulin for literally no reason and you and your doc are forced to switch to other types of insulin and go through unnecessary trouble shooting

Switching to admelog wouldn't be a big deal. Fortunately, I have enough money for the copays for the others now.

Apparently Trump and Biden have both taken steps to lower the price of insulin too.

The only drugs that seem extortionate right now are HIV treatments and some cancer treatments. You'd think the government would just subsidize the HIV ones to reduce the rates, but for some reason they don't.
Gold: 48,587.69
Mar 21 2024 08:28am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Mar 21 2024 03:23pm)

The only drugs that seem extortionate right now are HIV treatments and some cancer treatments. You'd think the government would just subsidize the HIV ones to reduce the rates, but for some reason they don't.

They need to be able to negotiate the drug price before just paying for it with taxpayer's money.
Gold: 23,046.71
Mar 21 2024 08:34am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Mar 21 2024 09:23am)
Switching to admelog wouldn't be a big deal. Fortunately, I have enough money for the copays for the others now.

Apparently Trump and Biden have both taken steps to lower the price of insulin too.

Not just insulin

Blood pressure meds
Seizure meds
Type 2 diabetic oral meds
Blood thinners

I mean I can go on forever. Its any Medication class. Insurance companies regularly change coverage for X med because of a different deal with a pharm company. And the people that suffer are patients. Prior authorizations are an atrocity that should be more publicized

Gold: 2,617.52
Mar 21 2024 10:35am
Quote (Bazi @ Mar 21 2024 10:34am)
Not just insulin

Blood pressure meds
Seizure meds
Type 2 diabetic oral meds
Blood thinners

I mean I can go on forever. Its any Medication class. Insurance companies regularly change coverage for X med because of a different deal with a pharm company. And the people that suffer are patients. Prior authorizations are an atrocity that should be more publicized

Metformin is dirt cheap for Type-2 D.
Blood pressure can be solved almost universally by an even partially-ketogenic diet, also a salve for T-2 diabetes usually.

Warfarin is really cheap, too. Not sure if that is enough for all cases.
Seizure meds, not sure at all about those. You're probably right there. Although ketogenic has been shown to make a big difference there, too.

The one benefit of a patent system is that generics become incredibly cheap and they are usually just as good as the new name-brands. While also maintaining the constant innovation of capitalism.

Personally, I always felt really bad whenever I saw the price of Jardiance. That cost in completely unexplainable.

I also feel bad at the situation of doctors. You tell patients to eat less than X grams of sugar and carbs per day and they show up 10 pounds heavier each time.
Gold: 34,590.96
Mar 21 2024 10:39am
Quote (Ashirgo @ Mar 21 2024 03:54am)
A bunch of parasites having to find another corpse to prey upon? Fine by me :)

Also: a few CEOs not able to afford their next yacht? Damn, not sure if the society can bear this incredible sacrifice. :)

Way more than that
Doctors and nurses out of work
Tons of R&D money lost, researchers and medical tech going out of business
Pharma industry in bankruptcy
Support staff at every major medical facility laid off
Insurance industry staff slashed to ribbons
Insanely long queue and wait times for basic questions and care

The pharma bros can eat a fatty tbh. They're actually scamming people with their prices
Gold: 3,759.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 21 2024 11:10am
How many people in this thread have been overall healthy and paid thousands of dollars into health insurance they never really use.

I haven't been to a dentist in 10-15 years and my teeth are in great shape. Why would I pay for that?

I wear glasses/contacts but guess what? My prescription hasn't changed my entire adult life(eyes haven't degenerated at all). Why pay for that?

I exercise and eat as healthy as I can so I'm rarely ever sick if ever.

My parents are the same so they've paid tends of thousands or a 100k(over decades) to basically never benefit from "health insurance". Just like any other insurance(car/home/etc.) total scam to people over time.

Once your over 65-70 now the next likely health event is cancer/death or long term disability/deuteriation of overall health etc. and at that point your paying to "survive" not even to "live" sadly.

“The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man! Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll