d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Thoughts On Healthcare For All In Usa
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 33,842.19
Mar 19 2024 04:27pm
Quote (Jupe @ Mar 19 2024 04:16pm)
Last I read people were looking to create private health plans so they could exclude degenerates like fatties etc. ngl sounds pretty based

Pretty sure obesity is considered a pre existing condition already
Gold: 12,337.70
Mar 19 2024 06:25pm
Quote (sirthom @ 19 Mar 2024 14:31)
Healthcare used to be fine in this country, but has been corrupted by people who hate us.
Get rid of them and all this goes away.

maybe if you took a vaccine then you wouldnt be so angry and talk like a crack head all the time

or maybe you should stop doing crack

1 of the two
Gold: 0.69
Mar 19 2024 06:35pm
Quote (sirthom @ Mar 19 2024 11:31am)
Healthcare used to be fine in this country, but has been corrupted by people who hate us.
Get rid of them and all this goes away.

You still an anti-vax & anti-mask? You playing russian roulette with your life :bonk:

I’m all for universal health care. Our current system isn’t working for most U.S Citizens. I have heard canada has A very long wait time for medical services :cry:

Why isn’t universal dental also brought up when universal healthcare is spoken about? They should be branches together IMHO. Too many people have dental health issues they can’t afford to pay for.

This post was edited by Juice_WRLD on Mar 19 2024 06:37pm
Gold: 2.77
Mar 19 2024 07:51pm
Quote (Juice_WRLD @ Mar 19 2024 08:35pm)
You still an anti-vax & anti-mask? You playing russian roulette with your life :bonk:

I’m all for universal health care. Our current system isn’t working for most U.S Citizens. I have heard canada has A very long wait time for medical services :cry:

Why isn’t universal dental also brought up when universal healthcare is spoken about? They should be branches together IMHO. Too many people have dental health issues they can’t afford to pay for.

The definition of the word cosmetic means a great many things in the United States to insurance companies. Almost anything dental is considered fully the patients fault, and dental work is literally the definition of a cosmetic or unnecessary need which is literal fucking insanity, but that's what the USA is all about baby, freedom to fuck everyone over.
Gold: 10,455.32
Mar 19 2024 08:19pm
healthcare is bad so bad for poor... best for rich ...America has been taken over by a few ... Rather then ruled by intelligence ..it is ruled by ruthlessness.. you think we vote for our leaders but they are picked by a few ..And if a president goes out of their boundaries of policies.. They get JFK'd ....Whoever spends the most ..Wins 100% of the time now .. for senate or house.

America had a chance to be great.... now we just another ruthless state
Gold: 5.00
Mar 20 2024 09:05am
US medicine could be improved so easily on many fronts.

Eliminate separate Vision, Dental, Medical to at very least dedup administrative costs.

Improve prescription medicine policy for non-narcotic drugs so patients can self service after initial doctor approval. Right now doctors literally extort patients on life saving medications because they haven't chit chat recently.

Go after big pharma and big med tech companies. For example the cost of an x-ray is insane. An x-ray is hundred year old technology, should be MUCH cheaper at this point in time. Medical devices defy the free market entirely.

Also, remove the good ole boys club nature of being able to open a practice.

Rant aside, a huge concern is the growing vast regions of US that do not have access to basics like OBGYN

I'd like to see US offer health care for for selective medical core. Then possibly it can be expanded. Core medical would be annual physical covered, blood work covered, set a bone and casting, eye test, ear tests, etc.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Mar 20 2024 09:12am
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 20 2024 09:32am
Quote (Ashirgo @ Mar 19 2024 01:49pm)
You need to understand what it really means, this whole "insurance" business.

Mathematically it's the same concept as when you take out car insurance or travel insurance. Everyone is paying into a pool of money so the random few who need it receive help. It also costs less for an individual the more people pay into it.

The main thing where health insurance differs from car or travel insurance is that there is no natural upper ceiling on the costs.

Accident-related car insurance has a natural upper cost bound related to the cost of repairing or replacing the actual car (for now ignoring the human-related cost). In travel insurance, you typically get reimbursed for your hotel and for the tickets you didn't use. There is no one in the car or travel industry coming up with expensive lotions or treatments your car (or your canceled ticket) can receive.

Physicians and pharma companies in the US have no such natural bounds, so they try to charge whatever they think they can get away with.

That's why you eventually see such weird things like the one you described with a surprisingly high bill from a doctor.

Fixing the absence of the upper cost bound in the US healthcare sector is the real answer.

TLDR don't blame the concept, fix the broken implementation!

Single payer solves upper cost bound issues instantly. i agree that's the issue, but i disagree that issue can be solved any other way. they'll still nickle and dime upcharge for arbitrary reasons outside of the legal limits. its an endless cat and mouse game, and the govt is up against both providers and insurance companies in that fight. if there's any sector in america i wont mourn its health insurance and healthcare for profit providers. they're glorified scam artists.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Mar 20 2024 09:33am
Gold: 48,587.69
Mar 20 2024 10:19am
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 20 2024 04:32pm)
Single payer solves upper cost bound issues instantly. i agree that's the issue, but i disagree that issue can be solved any other way. they'll still nickle and dime upcharge for arbitrary reasons outside of the legal limits. its an endless cat and mouse game, and the govt is up against both providers and insurance companies in that fight. if there's any sector in america i wont mourn its health insurance and healthcare for profit providers. they're glorified scam artists.

Some countries in Europe have a system of private healthcare providers and insurers; however at the same time in these countries they also mandate a "basic" comprehensive coverage package that every single insurer has to provide at a roughly same price to everyone without exception. In this basic package, you get covered for everything that's currently determined to be needed for actual "health", so currently obvious things like dentistry, plastic surgery and magic are excluded. The prices of all drugs and procedures are signed off by the industry in cooperation with the government to ensure that the prices are actually fair and not "profit oriented".

This is effectively the government doing the job of the "single payer" via helping to set the fair prices and practices, while avoiding the inefficiency of actually managing the money and the customers (this is done by the private insurers).

This post was edited by Ashirgo on Mar 20 2024 10:28am
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 20 2024 10:52am
Quote (Ashirgo @ Mar 20 2024 10:19am)
Some countries in Europe have a system of private healthcare providers and insurers; however at the same time in these countries they also mandate a "basic" comprehensive coverage package that every single insurer has to provide at a roughly same price to everyone without exception. In this basic package, you get covered for everything that's currently determined to be needed for actual "health", so currently obvious things like dentistry, plastic surgery and magic are excluded. The prices of all drugs and procedures are signed off by the industry in cooperation with the government to ensure that the prices are actually fair and not "profit oriented".

This is effectively the government doing the job of the "single payer" via helping to set the fair prices and practices, while avoiding the inefficiency of actually managing the money and the customers (this is done by the private insurers).

I think my worry is that the ship has sailed in the US in terms of cost. those countries like many countries that shifted to a single payer system in truth did so at the same time the prices began to sky rocket in the US and the overall system started to bloat. now it here is a situation where we'd have to iron out a system starting from massively overbloated, rather than stopping it from becoming so. its a lot harder to round up cattle than to bolster fences.

i also wonder what the landscape of providers and insurers looks like in those nations, in terms of scale (something like # of each per 1k population) in comparison to the US where we have a bevy of both. as well as wondering if those providers have differing price indexes across their provinces the same way we do across state lines in the US. im curious what if any role do state governments in the US play in your preferred plan.
Gold: 24.06
Mar 20 2024 11:11am
Insurance should be free in the sense that between the state and federal it’s over 6 trillion( per year) of our tax dollars is used to prop up the health administration. It’s a joke that we even have to pay into an insurance since our taxes is what fund the healthcare industry.

This post was edited by Landmine on Mar 20 2024 11:13am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll