d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Quick Draw Mechanics Explained
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 36,894.72
Jul 24 2024 06:37pm
Due to an increased interest here are some of the mechanics. Regular quickdraw users will be able to verify most of it pretty handily. For those who have tried it a little bit then you're input isn't required.

What it does:
A quickdraw proc will attack 4 times faster than you would normally for 1 attack. So with standard weapons this is 1 second timer reduced to 0.25 seconds. With heavy weapons the timer goes from 1.8 seconds to 0.45.
It has no effect on casting, it did at one point but this was changed to only now work on weapon attacks.

Other notes:
A quickdraw proc can immediately be followed by another quickdraw and this can infinitely chain if you get to 100%+ quickdraw. This would lead to attacking every 0.25 seconds. This is the main reason why it beats critical strike on melee gear.
Crit strike will cap at x200% damage, quickdraw caps at x400%. This is how pawfulgore works, it has 100% quickdraw when it's ability activates. You'll notice it cannot use it's ability on it's heals or damage casts this is simply because quickdraw does not work for casting.

If a mob is killed and you get a quickdraw proc, you need to manually click on the next mob. Similar to how a mob dies with normal attacks that you'll need to click a new mob the same is true here. In short how this works is that the timer itself is reduced. So with a normal attack with a standard weapon you'd have 1 second to click on the next mob to not waste any time of not attacking. Clicking on the next mob in solo just after it dies is likely that you won't get the maximum effect, seeing you need a 0.25 second or faster reaction time to notice the mob died and select a new mob. However if you're slower and say clicked 0.5 secs after, it will still accept that input and you still gained 0.5 secs for that hit over not using quickdraw. For groups changing target regularly should yield maximum efficiency for quickdraw users to avoid this.

From my own testing the chance to quickdraw is equal to the chance of quickdraw on equipment. However seeing i've not got to 50%+ I can't verify whether or not it is slightly worse. The other way it could work is lets arguably suggest you have 20 on weapon, charm and armor. The full 20% works on first item. The second item could only apply to the remaining 80%, so this would be 16, so 36% so far. The last item of 20% could then apply to that 64%, which is 12.8, so 51.8% chance to not quickdraw and therefore 48.2% chance to quickdraw in that scenario.
As mentioned it could just be applied additively which would mean that scenario is 60%. Until significant testing is done or paul tells us, we'll never know is that scenario totals at 48.2% or 60%.
It also could apply completely differently, however given how everything else works in LS i find this unlikely.

Quickdraw procs will gain prof and help charge abilities.

Quickdraw can proc after an ability, however it will do a standard attack rather than repeat the ability as multistriking twice in a row with charge would be totally broken.

How strong are critical strike/quickdraw?
I made a calculator which has been available for a long time, the quickdraw mechanics have been verified by darkhunter and someone else that the calculation is working correctly.
This can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDkoYfhQSyWW0KNRYTAWZRLxVfeYGgj-nwqOwtgtSOs/edit?gid=0#gid=0
More information can be found here: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=91874826&f=74 of how a lot of the other mechanics are calculated and explanations of what in game/history link/char link damage is.
The main note about the quickdraw calculation is it presumes you have PERFECT clicking, this is unfortunately never going to be the case, but shows the best case scenario.
The other note is that it presumes the above calculation of using 3 items all with quickdraw stacks additively, so 60% in the 20% on weapon/armor/charm.
Lastly, you'll notice there is no critical chance available for charms/axes/battleaxes. The reason is simple, i havent been given the critical strike calculation so i'm basing it off of thousands upon thousands of attacks of gathered data and comparing. This was done mostly by myself although bwconformity and izparagonzi both also contributed a few thousands attacks worth of data each. I'm currently not in the mood to test for axes/charms as it is as stupid as counting each crit when it happens and using the actions tracker in game to determine how many attacks were done and therefore get the crit chance. After getting crit chances at various different values of str/dex/crit i was then able to extrapolate this and simplify it into a formula which is reasonably close to those results. Obviously i won't get exactly the same formula used unless i got super lucky.

So lets put a few tests in.
The TLDR will be that if you are going 100+ vitality, you should generally buy pure stat gear, especially if you're using an ee armor, both crit/quickdraws value is minimal.
If you are a damage dealer at lower levels when you have less stats put in, quickdraw/crit is worth significantly fewer stats than at level 70, where it's worth about 3 for crit strike and closer to 4-5 for quickdraw.

Lets start with at level 10 where 7% quickdraw is possible from a non overspawn drop.
So lets compare Samurai's:
1. Tank setup1 - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. ee armor so 0 stats. Charm with 7% quickdraw. All points added vitality.
2. Tank setup2 - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. ee armor so 0 stats. Charm with 25 dex. All points added vitality.
3. Tank setup2 - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. ee armor so 0 stats. Charm with 5 crit. All points added vitality.
Samurai base str: 45. base dex: 50 As stated level up stats went directly into vitality which from my own testing does not affect crit.

If you read the TLDR, then you should already be expecting a win for the dex charm and that is indeed the case:

Now lets try a Ninja in the backrow for a groupclimb
1. NinjafullQD - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. robe with 7% quickdraw. Charm with 7% quickdraw. All points added to dex
2. Ninja0.5QD - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. 25 dex robe. Charm with 7% quickdraw. All points added to dex
3. Ninjadex - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. 25 dex robe. Charm with 25 dex. All points added to dex
4. Ninjadexcrit - Level 10 dagger 90ee, 10 prof. 25 dex robe. Charm with 5 crit. All points added to dex
Ninja base str: 40. Ninja base dex 70. 10 starting stats put into dex. 5 stats added as a suggestion for failed mq. 9 level ups for 9 stats more into dex. Ending dex at level 10 before factoring in items: 94

I'm guessing most of you arn't very impressed right now, however as i mentioned in the TLDR the true value of crit/quickdraw is at higher levels. Also arguably there is obviously gear available which has stats and quickdraw.
For the dex robe + quickdraw charm combo to catch the damage of full plain dex gear, the charm would have needed a side stat of 10 dex (so 10dex + 7% quickdraw on the charm) to outdamage the flat 25 dex in that example.

Not in the mood to do more right now, need to be up in 4 hours to go to work.
Here is my challenge to you guys who bothered to get this far. What does more damage, a lvl 70 ninja who statted all points into dex with a 200ee dagger and 110 total dex from items and 11% quickdraw, or the ninja with a 200ee dagger, 130 total dex and 5 crit from items?
If you presume perfect actions you can use the calc yourself to get that information.
It is possible to break the calc so if that happens i'll need to go in and fix it. I have a private copy to copy and paste in there.
So if you want your own copy to mess around with and be sure that no-one breaks it, do file -> make a copy only available to people with google accounts. No macros are used.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jul 24 2024 06:38pm
Gold: 11,465.75
Jul 24 2024 10:10pm
Great work, and very detailed information... and yes I read through the whole lot... I of course go lost in the entirety, however, I have a minor suggestion for testing.

If you are using level 10 as a test model, then I would suggest that you use a White Tier V dagger, no Enhanced Effect at all, you can pretty much 1 hit kill all monsters with that alone... of course because of your starting stats with various character classes... Rogue = more base dex = more damage with dagger, Samurai also has more base dex fighter... if I recall.

This is one reason I like a Guardian... it uses every heavy weapon and the base strength (30) and dexterity (10) is viable for testing Dex / Str & QD. As for Crit strike, YOU have most of the information.

As a personal note, and based on play style ... mine for example, I use Auto Attack (thus I am NOT spam clicking), the QD automatically works @ QD proc speed as you mentioned, thus my cursor hovers over the next monster (if any) to click as soon as the previous one is killed.

20% + QD for myself as a solo player can (keyword CAN) be an issue if I am also using Salvation (as you stated, casting/heal will not work with QD), the QD attack, interrupts my chance to use it, if can also interrupt me clicking on the Door (EXIT).

At higher levels... this could be an issue, especially for solo players using 60% QD.

Just my 2 cents worth, no debate, great work and you are on target, also, from my own experience, using 2+ QD items stack... so if you are using like a 15% QD armor and 18% QD charm, it equals 33% chance to proc QD per action sequence.

Have a good rest, you need it, and hope this helps a tiny bit for other readers and you.
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll