d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev17077087097107112039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 28 2011 11:50pm
Quote (MoneysHc2 @ Feb 28 2011 08:34pm)
was your bench press of 405 at the cutting weight of 169? also was it like a competition lift the pause at the bottom? or just a touch an go?

405 was totally raw, no bench shirt and at the lowest my bodyweight was around 175 lbs. My 191 bodyweight I also accomplished this. My heaviest bench ever was 455 with a bench shirt at around 180 lbs. During my cutting weight I rarely lifted more than 315 lbs. The lowest I've cut to was 165 and I was around 3-4%. Right now I'm sitting around 180 lbs @ 10-11%. Just maintaining what I have. I am unable to really put my all into working out lately because of life. School/work/etc takes up over 90 hrs a week from me.

However, I have a minor tear in my left rotator cuff which was caused by benching with proper form for so long and just having genetically bad shoulders. As a result, I only train with dumbbells now and usually don't do more than 130s for flat reps.

Sorry for the long reply lol.

edit: also it was a pause bench, hold at the bottom, then up.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Feb 28 2011 11:52pm
Feb 28 2011 11:53pm
Quote (KramerFtw @ Feb 28 2011 09:17pm)
Hello raynor, I was wondering about a few things

How long should a workout be? is it bad for a workout to go, say 2-3 hours?

how long should i rest between sets / exercises? and does it really matter?

Technically this doesn't matter as long as you are eating enough and getting enough rest. As long as you give your body time and nutrition to recover, the duration is unimportant. However, more can be accomplished in a longer period of time. Technically 3 hours of training a day with enough food and sleep would yield much better results of 1 hour of training per day with less food and rest given the workouts are of the same intensity.
Feb 28 2011 11:55pm
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Feb 28 2011 09:33pm)
hey raynor, you got any suggestions on how to increase my pull up numbers?

Try using lat pulldowns and cable rows often. Doing this helps increase back strength considerably and improves the stabilizer muscles for pullups.

In addition, you also want to do 5 FAILURE sets of pullups twice a week. Each week strive to get at least 1 more rep than the previous week.

In addition, work on biceps a little more as well, focusing on hitting them with heavier weight for less reps. This also will help improve pull up numbers.

When in doubt, you can also try the counter-weighted pullup machine and do negative pullups until failure with as light of counter-weight as possible. This also helps improve form and lat strength.
Feb 28 2011 11:58pm
Quote (xVanished @ Feb 28 2011 11:18pm)
+1 for questions, yay!
Are Crystal Lights good/safe to use? They really encourage me to drink lots of water.
Good for keto too?

For keto they are acceptable to a degree - the citric acid (if applicable) can potentially set you out of keto (but this is not in everyone...it's actually the minority who can't tolerate citric acid on keto).

anyway, I would advise trying Sobe Lifewater (0 cal) or Vitamin water zero (0 cal) - both sweetened with stevia (natural 0 cal sweetener).

Feb 28 2011 11:59pm
Quote (Aimed_Shot @ Mar 1 2011 01:38am)
Digestive Enzyme Supplements (NOW! Digestive Enzymes) take 1-2 with EVERY meal. This is absolutely ESSENTIAL.

^^ For a hardgainer why is this so essential? I've read it's only necessary to take these if you're taking in like 6k calories. And would you recommend them to everyone else bulking? Wouldn't really consider myself a hardgainer anymore ;)

Only asking cause there's a good deal on these things and I'm curious

Hey there.

If you are a hardgainer, part of the reason is due to the lack of proper enzymes to digest your macronutrients fully and sufficiently to promote growth. As a result, much of your food is expelled as waste. The digestive enzymes help assimilate nutrients to the fullest capacity. I have had very good luck with them myself, and I am not even a hardgainer. Every hardgainer I give them to tends to see RAPID weight gain compared to those who do not use it.
Gold: 60,009.69
Warn: 10%
Mar 1 2011 12:22am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 12:38am)
Hey man,

Ok well to make things simple for you let me break this down. First of all, if you are a natural ectomorph you will NOT need a cutting diet to achieve a cut physique. What you need is a good bulking diet with a SUFFICIENT routine at the gym that you follow meticulously.

Please follow these:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=335896241
Bulking Diet, workout, and supplement guide

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345300636
5x5 plan

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345358141
Hypertrophy Plan

As long as you are getting around 3,000-3,500 cals a day and putting in a good 1.5 hrs at the gym of HARD WORK you should have no problem.

of course make sure the 3,000-3,500 cals are CLEAN (minimize sugar except for first thing in the morning and PWO). Also avoid excessive carbs in general. You need some, but not copious amounts. Always opt for more protein when possible.

Also try to measure your BF using a caliper, not the electronic BF tester - those are very inaccurate.

ive actually gained bf while bulking.... mainly around my waist, although i think a certian amount of it is my obliques/core just growing but still excess fat there & abs are not visible unless flexed

i only go to the gym 3 days a week...

but what im getting out of what you said is that i dont need to lower my calories? just my carbs?
Mar 1 2011 01:50am
Quote (Duckling @ Mar 1 2011 02:22am)
ive actually gained bf while bulking.... mainly around my waist, although i think a certian amount of it is my obliques/core just growing but still excess fat there & abs are not visible unless flexed

i only go to the gym 3 days a week...

but what im getting out of what you said is that i dont need to lower my calories? just my carbs?

What I'm saying is that in order for you to gain maximum muscle on a bulk, you will gain SOME body fat along with it...even as a hardgainer. Your best option to minimize the fat gain is to lower your carbs overall except for Meal 1 (simple and complex) , PWO (simple), and the meal immediately following PWO (complex).

Embrace the fat gain for now, once you reach a plateau (usually around 8 months of bulking) you can go on a brief 2 month cutting cycle which will probably yield a VERY ripped version of yourself.

If you train only 3 days a week, reduce the carbs on non-training days as well.
Gold: 5,985.00
Mar 1 2011 02:50am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 01:41am)
Well lsoing BF while bulking is generally very difficult especially without steroids.

Generally on a bulk you will gain minimal amounts of fat because your body is in an anabolic and caloric surplus environment for optimal building. In order for you to do this properly, you have to make a decision - do you want to bulk? or do you want to cut? During a bulk you can achieve up to 15-18% BF. During a cut you will go down to a low as 5-6% bf. Some argue against this method, but I find that it is the safest and most effective method to gaining the physique you demand without using steroids or being a genetically gifted mesomorph.

Anyway - let me know exactly what you want to do and we'll go from there. Remember, if you do 2x a day workouts including cardio you will have to increase your food intake as well to be able to properly feed those muscles and allow recovery and growth.

I guess saying that I wanted to reduce BF was a bit off. I participate in a lot of cardio-intensive sports and basically I don't want to just go to the gym and do weights without the proper cardio conditioning. I want to be fit enough to run 4 miles at 9 mph on any given day. But it seems like cardio naturally works against muscular hypertrophy... If I want to maintain cardio endurance yet bulk up, what would you suggest as far as workouts / day? I have the time to do two workouts / day, so how would you suggest I divvy that up? Thanks for any info you can give.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 1 2011 06:01am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 05:43am)
This is NOT good.

How long have you been without carbs? Did you do your carb up day?

You want to be in the "mild-moderate" zone. Dark purple is a bad sign and usually means you have been in ketosis way too long. I advise a carb-up immediately.

edit: to be sure, try another stick or two in case that one was defective.

gulp o.o

Alright, i'll check again asap.

edit: Yea it was the strip im assuming, I just tested, and it was a cunt hair darker than moderate, not by much either.

This post was edited by ozzyarmy3 on Mar 1 2011 06:19am
Gold: 60,009.69
Warn: 10%
Mar 1 2011 09:42am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 02:50am)
What I'm saying is that in order for you to gain maximum muscle on a bulk, you will gain SOME body fat along with it...even as a hardgainer. Your best option to minimize the fat gain is to lower your carbs overall except for Meal 1 (simple and complex) , PWO (simple), and the meal immediately following PWO (complex).

Embrace the fat gain for now, once you reach a plateau (usually around 8 months of bulking) you can go on a brief 2 month cutting cycle which will probably yield a VERY ripped version of yourself.

If you train only 3 days a week, reduce the carbs on non-training days as well.

i think i get what you mean

for me to bulk hard (getting lifts up/getting lean mass) i need to eat a surplus of carbs
for me to cut bf i need to still eat around the same i am now but cut the carbs and up the protien/fats?

and on non training days should i do cardio?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev17077087097107112039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll