d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1173017311732173317342039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,952.50
Jan 5 2014 09:43pm
Thanks in advance.

Recently I've started the Insanity workout to both lean out a bit and cover my cardio in the winter months with some overall body strength. I'm combining this with bodyweight strength building and some moderate lifting as well, however I think I have a nutritional problem.
With the addition of the insanity workout, I can't keep any weight on. Just to give you an idea, I do 30-45 mins HIIT daily (insanity workout), run min. 6km per day, play volleyball 2 hrs weekly, and am trying to dedicate more time to lifting.

Basically as it stands right now I am 6'1 149.6 lbs today. Now I've always hovered around ~160 lbs but I guess the recent insanity cardio has dropped some weight. Now I'm pretty happy with my body, got pretty good definition, but could definitely gain some muscle everywhere lol. (Hence the low weight)
My question is, should I be supplementing my diet and taking other means of protein. I'm damn sure I'm not getting enough in my regular diet. But what can I take as a protein to help with muscle growth but not pack on any unnecessary weight? There are so many products out there and I'm pretty ignorant on the matter.

Also any tips to getting rid of a small amount of stubborn lower belly fat? As I say I'm pretty skinny but just can never seem to lose it in this targeted area.

Thanks again, let me know if you need any more details.
Gold: 25.65
Jan 6 2014 12:24pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 20 2011 09:19pm)
The % are correct.

Foods include:

Meats:::  Literally ALL meats (steak, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, ham, sausage, bacon, etc)

Cheese::: Any whole cheese (no cheese product like american or cheese whiz) - cottage cheese is also okay (make sure it has no sweetener and less than 3g carbs per serving)

Milk/Other Dairy::  NO MILK, YOGURT, OR ICE CREAM!!!

Veggies::: Lettuce, Celery, Broccoli, Green Peppers, Asparagus. (Watch the carbs here, but they are safe in general) AVOID ALL OTHER VEGGIES

Fruits::: Blueberries, Strawberries, and Watermelon (Again, WATCH THE CARBS here - but a little bit each day won't hurt if you keep the total carbs down)

Other Carbs::: NONE!! No Starches, grains, pasta, bread, etc.

Oils/Other Fats:::  ALL OF THEM ARE OK! Olive Oil, Butter, Coconut Oil, Heavy Cream, etc.

Condiments::: NO KETCHUP!! You can use mustard, mayo, olive oil, vinegar (apple cider vinegar), salt/pepper (just keep an eye on your sodium), any herbs/spices, and any other condiments that have ZERO CARBS (read the label!!)

Drinks:: Water or plain Iced Tea only. Avoid diet sodas and 0 carb drinks because of citric acid which can throw you out of keto.

WHEN IN DOUBT, READ THE LABEL OR GOOGLE THE FOOD ITEM'S NUTRITIONAL VALUE. IF IT HAS more than 2-3 CARBS, DON'T EAT IT!!!!

You should also take some fiber supplements such as psyllium husk powder (no sugar) if you end up having any bowel trouble as a result of the low carbs.

Remember to drink at least 1 gal of water per day!!

Spinach is out????
Jan 6 2014 04:19pm
Hey Raynor,

A friend of mine (female) wants to know how to keep chest, develop glutes, lose quads (contradictory because you need to squats/lunges to work on glutes imo and im like wtf dude just do squats/lunges your legs are fine) and drop overall bf%.

I gave her this meal plan: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=359274061#p359274061

and this work out plan: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=304396247#p304396247

I focus on the fasting HIIT for her too.

Any tweaks to these programs for the specific target body part goals in mind for her would be much appreciated.

also this is also a question for me as well but we run (no more than 30 mins 2-3x a week, as fast as we can to last just 30 mins (cuz i hear after 30 mins you start breaking muscle), just to keep heart healthy. can hiit totally replace traditional jogging/stairmaster indefinitely? (i know for physical results doing these traditional workouts are not as efficient as HIIT, but I want to make sure my heart is healthy in the long term)
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 6 2014 08:27pm
Quote (Jordo @ Jan 5 2014 11:43pm)
Thanks in advance.

Recently I've started the Insanity workout to both lean out a bit and cover my cardio in the winter months with some overall body strength. I'm combining this with bodyweight strength building and some moderate lifting as well, however I think I have a nutritional problem.
With the addition of the insanity workout, I can't keep any weight on. Just to give you an idea, I do 30-45 mins HIIT daily (insanity workout), run min. 6km per day, play volleyball 2 hrs weekly, and am trying to dedicate more time to lifting.

Basically as it stands right now I am 6'1 149.6 lbs today. Now I've always hovered around ~160 lbs but I guess the recent insanity cardio has dropped some weight. Now I'm pretty happy with my body, got pretty good definition, but could definitely gain some muscle everywhere lol. (Hence the low weight)
My question is, should I be supplementing my diet and taking other means of protein. I'm damn sure I'm not getting enough in my regular diet. But what can I take as a protein to help with muscle growth but not pack on any unnecessary weight? There are so many products out there and I'm pretty ignorant on the matter.

Also any tips to getting rid of a small amount of stubborn lower belly fat? As I say I'm pretty skinny but just can never seem to lose it in this targeted area.

Thanks again, let me know if you need any more details.

Hey there.

The key here is certainly to increase your calories, particularly from protein. Can you provide me with a sample of your daily diet so that I can modify it? I would also recommend that you try a protein shake, such as Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Natural.

As far as the lower belly fat goes, you might want to try hitting abs hard, particularly the lower abs, and see if increased muscle mass helps. Sometimes loose skin can be confused with fat and can only be remedied with ab work. Other times, fat loss is required, but in your case, I doubt it.
Jan 6 2014 08:27pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Jan 6 2014 02:24pm)
Spinach is out????

No, you can do Spinach or Kale as well. I should update the list. Any green leafy veggie is OK.
Jan 6 2014 08:31pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 6 2014 06:27pm)
No, you can do Spinach or Kale as well. I should update the list. Any green leafy veggie is OK.

Thanks, buddy!
Jan 6 2014 08:32pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Jan 6 2014 06:19pm)
Hey Raynor,

A friend of mine (female) wants to know how to keep chest, develop glutes, lose quads (contradictory because you need to squats/lunges to work on glutes imo and im like wtf dude just do squats/lunges your legs are fine) and drop overall bf%.

I gave her this meal plan: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=359274061#p359274061

and this work out plan: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=304396247#p304396247

I focus on the fasting HIIT for her too.

Any tweaks to these programs for the specific target body part goals in mind for her would be much appreciated.

also this is also a question for me as well but we run (no more than 30 mins 2-3x a week, as fast as we can to last just 30 mins (cuz i hear after 30 mins you start breaking muscle), just to keep heart healthy. can hiit totally replace traditional jogging/stairmaster indefinitely? (i know for physical results doing these traditional workouts are not as efficient as HIIT, but I want to make sure my heart is healthy in the long term)

Hey there.

I do have this:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=374512912
Female Diet/Exercise/Supplementation Guide

In addition, you are not burning muscle past any particular mark of cardio. The key here is BCAA's. As long as you take BCAA's before, during, and after cardio, you won't have any issues. You need 1.5-2g for every 45 mins of exercise to prevent any issues with muscle wasting.

As far as cardio goes, HIIT is most certainly fine for heart health. You can alternate it with LISS, but that's entirely up to you. I personally prefer HIIT across the board for efficiency.
Gold: 6,952.50
Jan 6 2014 09:34pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 6 2014 06:27pm)
Hey there.

The key here is certainly to increase your calories, particularly from protein. Can you provide me with a sample of your daily diet so that I can modify it? I would also recommend that you try a protein shake, such as Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Natural.

As far as the lower belly fat goes, you might want to try hitting abs hard, particularly the lower abs, and see if increased muscle mass helps. Sometimes loose skin can be confused with fat and can only be remedied with ab work. Other times, fat loss is required, but in your case, I doubt it.

Hey Raynor, thanks for the reply.

Since I posted yesterday I've been doing some research and talking to a few fellow exercise addicts I know and realized I really need to amp up my calories and protein especially as you say. A friend gave me 4KG of Kaizen Whey Isolate to use, I'm sure there are better but this was free. 35G of protein for 40G serving.
This is an example of my diet today, I have already upped it a bit for more calories/protein but feel free to critique it:

http://imgur.com/4fgG6ud
Basically the breakfast/lunch/snacks are typical (aside from addition of protein shake), and the dinner varies but is probably pretty consistent with that.

Interesting point on the loose skin instead of fat, I think you are probably right as I pretty much have no fat anywhere else. I've been hitting the abs pretty hard already, but will focus more on the lower abs.

Edit: What I don't want is to be burning muscle instead of building muscle, which I am worried about now.

This post was edited by Jordo on Jan 6 2014 09:34pm
Gold: 1,120.01
Jan 6 2014 09:45pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 5 2014 06:18pm)
You need to FEED during the feed times. If you eat too little, especially too little protein, you will not lose fat as rapidly. You also risk losing muscle in the process.

You know I always ended up screwing myself over haha. I wouldn't eat anything and then it would get late at night and I would be starving and I would eat before I slept. I hear that's the worst time to eat.
Gold: 20,142.63
Jan 6 2014 10:15pm
Hello again Raynor! Today I started the plan you gave me a few weeks ago. I knew it would be brutal, especially when transitioning from a 5x5 to this, but damn I was in for a rude awakening. I started today since I start my diet next week and wanted to start getting into this routine before dieting. I just have a few questions. Here is what you recommended me in case you forgot:

The solution for a proper routine for you would be in the area of 15/12/10/8 reps, with VERY little rest between sets (10-12 seconds max). You are going to want to do splits such as:

Back/Bis/Traps
Chest/Tris/Shoulders
Quads/Calves/Hams
(Repeated 2x per week)

Workouts should last approximately 1.5 hours, with another 30-40 minutes of HIIT cardio afterwards. You should be doing approximately 5 exercises per muscle group for a total of 15 exercises and around 60 total sets. This seems brutal, and it is, but the results are worth it. As far as exercises go, I think you have been doing this long enough to know what exercises work well for you and what exercises do not. If you need more guidance here, let me know.

I think I set the bar on weight too high. For example I usually do 225 for reps on bench. I attempted 185 for this plan today. Was brutal! I had to lower the weight. Should I be sticking with the same weight for all 4 sets and aiming for the most weight I can do with the proper number of reps? Or should I be starting with a higher weight and decreasing as I continue?

Also, what is your opinion on diet soda during keto? I know people have claimed they get thrown out of keto by it, but I like to use diet soda as my salvation when im on the diet. I limit it as much as possible of course, maybe a can every few days. I haven't personally seen myself thrown out of keto by it, so im assuming it's ok. Should I also stop taking creatine during my diet?

P.S. I can't move my arms. I FEEL TONER ALREADY BRAH. I got exactly 5 months and a week until my Vegas trip. I plan on going as hard as possible until then.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1173017311732173317342039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll