d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > D2jsp Monthly Subscription
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,383.92
Jan 25 2024 09:37pm
Quote (ijsGv @ Jan 25 2024 09:52pm)
https://i.imgur.com/Dge5Gtc.png

According to this, it's to make sure the person requesting verification is actually the person who has donated to the site. Requiring to re-submit annually is likely to be sure the account hasn't changed hands. And if it has, that new person would need to apply for verification on their own merits rather than on the previous persons "verification".

Quote (ZapFrog @ Jan 25 2024 09:45pm)
No I understand the first time to get verified, I don't understand the annual aspect of it. Why does it need done every 12 months?

I think it allows the staff to compare paypal history/purchases on d2jsp against those who may have illegally obtained old d2jsp accounts. I.E. the paypal information would be new versus what is on file and provide obvious proof the account is being operated by someone new.
Just my best guess, but it's honestly a nice safety-feature from my perspective, and it was absolutely no hassle at all to complete the steps! :)

Quote (UEFI @ Jan 25 2024 09:48pm)
It helps prevent fraudulent purchases being made. (aka the person on the card doesnt match photo ID which would raise suspicion) Currently it's per verification but i doubt it would ever be annually. I honestly like the idea it would just need some changes to honestly work imho.

To my knowledge the ID verification has been annual since it's release

This post was edited by Epiphany on Jan 25 2024 09:43pm
Gold: 7,375.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2024 12:40pm
Suggestion Summary

Give users the ability to subscribe to automatic monthly donations of varying levels ($10/month, $20/month, etc), with the option to cancel at any time.

Arguments For

- Convenience
- Easily maintain verification status and benefits
- Consistent support for D2jsp

Arguments Against

- Financial/legal hurdles
- Hassle to manage
- Charge disputes/community complaints

Final Thoughts

The overall sentiment from those who voiced a "YES" opinion, is that adding this feature would be a QOL change. Being able to maintain verified status without the inconvenience of having to manually donate every month is appealing. This would be especially helpful during periods of inactivity, as being away from D2jsp does not mean people wish to lose their verification, benefits as well as end their overall support for the site. Adding the ability to cancel the subscription at any time makes it a no brainer for those who are interested. Obviously there will be those who feel this is not something they would do, and that's fine. Subscribing would be optional, and there should be no additional benefits for those who do choose to opt-in. The idea is to not incentivize subscribing, but to simply add it as a matter of convenience. This way we can maintain equality among those who subscribe vs those who do not, and avoid any friction within the community.

As for financial/legal hurdles or charge disputes, I cannot be sure. It's not something I can speak to as I am not familiar with the legal side of things. However, I feel this might mostly be a non-issue. Like any subscription model, people have to agree to the terms of the subscription. So long as the agreement states that their account will be charged monthly for whatever amount they've chosen, and they are verified via photo ID and matching card, then I would think there's really no way their dispute could become valid. Maybe I'm wrong. I would love some moderator clarification on this. But as I see it, it should be no real problem in this regard.

Lastly, I appreciate everyone who has participated in this conversation. I hope to see more input, as well as votes.

Members++
Gold: 161,747.41
Trader: Mediator
Jan 26 2024 01:47pm
Ya, good idea. We could also incorporate a benefit model in order to make long term suggestions more interesting, e.g.
1 month = $10
3 months = $30
6 months = $50
12 months = $85

This post was edited by CoLLiNz on Jan 26 2024 01:49pm
Jan 26 2024 02:14pm
Quote (CoLLiNz @ Jan 26 2024 12:47pm)
Ya, good idea. We could also incorporate a benefit model in order to make long term suggestions more interesting, e.g.
1 month = $10
3 months = $30
6 months = $50
12 months = $85

The only concern I have about adding discounts is that it may create some division among community members. Meaning that people, who for whatever reason are not comfortable subscribing long term, have to feel like they are less valued for their non-subscription based donations. That D2jsp incentivizes long term subs as opposed to simply being open to donations in general. This might actually work counterintuitively as it could cause people to choose to not donate at all since they get less for their dollars in the long run.

To me it makes more sense that the subscription would simply be a convenience feature, and those who opt-in still enjoy the same benefits and FG bonuses as those who do not. It's less controversial that way.

I'd be curious to hear other people's opinions about it.

Gold: 15.20
Jan 26 2024 02:53pm
Great idea. Also a tier system maybe, different icons the longer you're a subscriber.

10/10 yes.
Gold: 24.69
Jan 26 2024 03:34pm
Quote (NerdLord @ Jan 26 2024 02:16pm)

Thanks for the link. Perk expiration notifications are also a great suggestion! Voted 48hr notice. :D
Gold: 100.00
Jan 26 2024 04:21pm
Great, another subscription service to bleed my account.

Here's a radical idea: LESS monetization
Jan 26 2024 04:53pm
Quote (Lockens @ Jan 26 2024 03:21pm)
Great, another subscription service to bleed my account.

Here's a radical idea: LESS monetization

I mean, someone has to pay to keep the lights on. :lol:
Gold: 100.00
Jan 26 2024 04:57pm
Quote (ijsGv @ Jan 27 2024 08:53am)
I mean, someone has to pay to keep the lights on. :lol:

JSP makes plenty. If Wikipedia is still free after all these years...

Let's be real. We get very, very little for our dollar here.
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll