d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > D2jsp Monthly Subscription
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 10,790.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2024 05:03pm
Quote (Lockens @ Jan 26 2024 03:57pm)
JSP makes plenty. If Wikipedia is still free after all these years...

Let's be real. We get very, very little for our dollar here.

You may be right. But also we choose to donate to D2jsp. They give us a platform to utilize, with the option to donate. It's not required. If someone chooses to not spend a dime on this site, they are more than welcome.

My subscription idea is no different. There's no added incentives. It's just a convenience for people who do choose to support D2jsp with monthly donations.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 26 2024 05:17pm
Quote (ijsGv @ Jan 27 2024 09:03am)
You may be right. But also we choose to donate to D2jsp. They give us a platform to utilize, with the option to donate. It's not required. If someone chooses to not spend a dime on this site, they are more than welcome.

My subscription idea is no different. There's no added incentives. It's just a convenience for people who do choose to support D2jsp with monthly donations.

I understand your underlying point - convenience. No disrespect to you at all, my man. It's just a slippery slope, and the house always wins.

Seeing as a Orb of Random is currently 5000 points (roughly $150 USD) and the decor was inspired by Windows 98, I gotta ask - where is all the money going?

Let's not encourage them by handing over the keys to the garage. Make 'em work for your cheddar.
Jan 26 2024 05:25pm
Quote (Lockens @ Jan 26 2024 04:17pm)
I understand your underlying point - convenience. No disrespect to you at all, my man. It's just a slippery slope, and the house always wins.

Seeing as a Orb of Random is currently 5000 points (roughly $150 USD) and the decor was inspired by Windows 98, I gotta ask - where is all the money going?

Let's not encourage them by handing over the keys to the garage. Make 'em work for your cheddar.

No disrespect taken, I appreciate the discussion.

I feel this is a matter of perspective though. Personally, the site being such a widespread tool for gamers, as it stands, is enough for me. I've spent a good portion of the last 16 years thoroughly enjoying the benefits of using this platform, and I'm happy to donate my hard earned money for little to nothing in return. But that's just how I am. I support things I like with my wallet.

Bottom line is they offer this "service" to everyone for free. They don't owe us anything else other than what's already being provided. If people still choose to donate because they enjoy it as-is, then I don't see the problem. Nor do I see any reason to demand more.
Jan 26 2024 05:40pm
Quote (ijsGv @ Jan 27 2024 09:25am)
No disrespect taken, I appreciate the discussion.

I feel this is a matter of perspective though. Personally, the site being such a widespread tool for gamers, as it stands, is enough for me. I've spent a good portion of the last 16 years thoroughly enjoying the benefits of using this platform, and I'm happy to donate my hard earned money for little to nothing in return. But that's just how I am. I support things I like with my wallet.

Bottom line is they offer this "service" to everyone for free. They don't owe us anything else other than what's already being provided. If people still choose to donate because they enjoy it as-is, then I don't see the problem. Nor do I see any reason to demand more.

Absolutely - I can see the stalemate approaching, which usually means the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Context is incredibly important. I see your fg balance and you've been here forever, so understandably you've gotten a LOT of value from this site. I'm also a big believer in donating if I have extra - there's simply not enough humble Christian charity left in the world anymore. However, monthly tiered subscription services =/= voluntary donations.

I see the memes - "your BMW subscription has expired, and your air-con is no longer enabled. Please renew your service ASAP to enjoy basic comforts". It's a joke now, but you know that shit is coming soon...
Jan 26 2024 05:48pm
Quote (Lockens @ Jan 26 2024 04:40pm)
However, monthly tiered subscription services =/= voluntary donations.

This is exactly why I suggested no added incentives for subscriptions. Last thing I'd want is for people to feel like D2jsp staff are incentivizing subscriptions, because then at that point you're absolutely right. It's no longer truly voluntary. It's coerced. It's buttered up and served on a silver platter, but the butter is oil and the silver platter is made of clay. I would not advocate for that at all.

Jan 26 2024 05:51pm
Quote (ijsGv @ Jan 27 2024 09:48am)
This is exactly why I suggested no added incentives for subscriptions. Last thing I'd want is for people to feel like D2jsp staff are incentivizing subscriptions, because then at that point you're absolutely right. It's no longer truly voluntary. It's coerced. It's buttered up and served on a silver platter, but the butter is oil and the silver platter is made of clay. I would not advocate for that at all.

The "Tinder" model. Yeah, it's worst-case-scenario, but it's not imaginary. It'll become normalized everywhere if you turn a blind eye to it.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I had to say - it's someone else's turn to use the microphone. Peace boys! :)
Gold: 3,946.50
Jan 26 2024 06:11pm
just because you don't find any value in FG doesn't mean other users do not either - everyone plays different games, performs different transactions, and holds FG to different levels of worth.

You'd fall under the category of people who would likely opt-out of a subscription for monthly FG which is a planned alternative for the suggestion according to ijsGv, and there is nothing wrong with that option. :)
Gold: 2,121,516.00
Jan 26 2024 06:12pm
I don't see why not.
Would highly prefer a perk expiration notification over it.
Jan 26 2024 06:21pm
Quote (Roneye @ Jan 26 2024 05:12pm)
I don't see why not.
Would highly prefer a perk expiration notification over it.

I do really like the expiration notification suggestion as well. I hope it gets approved for implementation.
Jan 26 2024 06:24pm
Deleted

This post was edited by Lockens on Jan 26 2024 06:53pm
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll