d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Automation, Robots, And Unemployment
Prev18910111219Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 16 2017 09:41am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 09:38am)
UPS, USPS, FedEx, Amazon Service Centers, multiple warehouses, etc. Do they not staff employees? You'll still need employees. Though I will say, Amazon is masterful at automation.

i mean, i just told u i replaced 50 peoples jobs in the blink of an eye with a truck sorting conveyor system. next are forklift operators, etc.

grocery stores are largely un-automated in terms of shelf stocking and turnover. we're replacing those services with industries that are highly automated and trending upwards.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 16 2017 09:51am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 10:41am)
i mean, i just told u i replaced 50 peoples jobs in the blink of an eye with a truck sorting conveyor system. next are forklift operators, etc.

grocery stores are largely un-automated in terms of shelf stocking and turnover. we're replacing those services with industries that are highly automated and trending upwards.

Give it time my friend, other industries that need humans will grow. I am not nearly as pessimistic as you about the US job market.
Jun 16 2017 09:56am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 09:51am)
Give it time my friend, other industries that need humans will grow. I am not nearly as pessimistic as you about the US job market.

well, that's part of my plan. to foster those industries. Homemade products, localized agriculture, etc. in terms of large scale production and service however, i don't see how that's even possible let alone feasible. I hear it all the time "job markets and industries we can't even conceptualize currently", its pure optimism IMO.
Retired Moderator
Jun 16 2017 10:09am
Markets we can't even dream of will grow in the future. Once technology improves to where we can simulate any climate in the world, the USA will be able to produce every ounce of food we consume locally here in the USA, just to give an example. If the USA continues to develop solar energy, it'll make oil useless and the USA will be a nation of solar power workers. It all comes in waves my friend.
Jun 16 2017 10:20am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 10:09am)
Markets we can't even dream of will grow in the future. Once technology improves to where we can simulate any climate in the world, the USA will be able to produce every ounce of food we consume locally here in the USA, just to give an example. If the USA continues to develop solar energy, it'll make oil useless and the USA will be a nation of solar power workers. It all comes in waves my friend.

i fully understand that new waves of technology will emerge, i simply disagree that these new industries will employ large numbers of people let alone large numbers of low-skill labor.

i mean, to speak generally, automation won't be an issue in 100-150 years. its going to be a huge issue in 50 years. we can do many thing in the mean time to lessen the blow, basically the things that will have to happen in 50 years, but now when the stakes are lower. we can either do it out of foresight or necessity.
Retired Moderator
Jun 16 2017 11:54am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 11:20am)
i fully understand that new waves of technology will emerge, i simply disagree that these new industries will employ large numbers of people let alone large numbers of low-skill labor.

i mean, to speak generally, automation won't be an issue in 100-150 years. its going to be a huge issue in 50 years. we can do many thing in the mean time to lessen the blow, basically the things that will have to happen in 50 years, but now when the stakes are lower. we can either do it out of foresight or necessity.

Low skill labor always disappears. The vast majority of the USA was full of total fucking idiots until formal education became the norm. Go to a country like Singapore and you'll feel about as big as a grain of rice when you compare your degree to how educated and intelligent the average person is there. They culturally shifted so that they could succeed as a nation. The USA will have no choice but to move that direction. So fuck the "unskilled labor" bullshit and go learn some skillssssss.
Jun 16 2017 12:01pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 11:54am)
Low skill labor always disappears. The vast majority of the USA was full of total fucking idiots until formal education became the norm. Go to a country like Singapore and you'll feel about as big as a grain of rice when you compare your degree to how educated and intelligent the average person is there. They culturally shifted so that they could succeed as a nation. The USA will have no choice but to move that direction. So fuck the "unskilled labor" bullshit and go learn some skillssssss.

Yeah that's not what's gonna happen in reality tho.

in reality those "unskilled" adults will be up against kids who can learn the skills VERY easy by comparison. kids who don't have kids to pay for, or mortgages, and will accept cheaper wages and more hours.

in reality the unskilled labor force will become the largest welfare nightmare in the history of the US, they will force an automation tax or we will risk MAJOR issues. they will grumble until death about their circumstance.

the incoming generation will be more apt to accept a sedimentary lifestyle and will quickly adapt to a low-wage existence in the form of UBI.

like i said, in 100 years this wont be an issue, in 50 years it will be a major issue. i'm just trying to let a little air out of the bubble, there is no way to safely deflate it.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 16 2017 12:01pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 16 2017 12:53pm

I already read all this "theorying" back in the day when the assembly line was invented.

Same shyt, different century. It's all old news.
Jun 16 2017 12:57pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 16 2017 12:53pm)
I already read all this "theorying" back in the day when the assembly line was invented.

Same shyt, different century. It's all old news.

convincing people of your age group is always the hardest. too much perspective to break through.

my step mom retired after 45 years in assembly work, she also doesn't get it.
Retired Moderator
Jun 16 2017 01:03pm
If you're 40+ and too "old" to learn a new industry, that's your own damn fault. If you're older, you know the world is changing.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18910111219Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll