d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev178910114502Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 115.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 28 2022 01:12pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Jan 28 2022 08:07pm)
If Ukraine wanted to join NATO what business is that of RU?
PLEASE INFORM COMRADE

It's not easy right? At least you don't have Russian and Ukrainian familiy members.
Luckily i don't live in any of those nations
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 28 2022 01:27pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 28 2022 11:09am)
Defensive missile systems can be retrofitted within hours to offensive. There's a reason why we stopped the Soviets from building bases in Cuba spitting distance from us. I wonder if our military leaders would of ever bought hogwash like a hostile foreign power building military bases on our border as defensive lol. If something ever happens and there is a full out war it's pretty advantageous when you have dozens of forward bases with local supporting armed forces, fighting the war on the other country's borders, thousands of miles from you.

Your point on submarines, i don't really get. Their subs are just as advanced, and they have a dozen or so of nuclear subs each capable of carrying like 12 nukes each with speeds that basically make our THAADS junk, so in an all out war it's for sure MAD.

Once the Soviets got the Typhoon class subs operational (roughly 10 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis), we effectively had a Cuban Missile Crisis any time a sub came near our coast line. That's just an unfortunate reality that we have to live with now but we've been living with that threat for roughly 50 years now. Their subs are no where near as advanced as ours but when it comes to launching a nuclear attack, it doesn't really matter.

I'm not convinced that the bases are a real threat to the Russians either. If they REALLY wanted to, they could overrun the bases we have in Eastern Europe with ease. Hell, they could probably take out Germany before we could get the millions of men it would require to push back against them.
Gold: 30,584.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 28 2022 01:33pm
Russia does not want to grab for power, they just want to protect what they have. thats the difference. the eu wants to take more then it has currently.
Gold: 18,078.00
Jan 28 2022 01:34pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jan 28 2022 02:27pm)
Once the Soviets got the Typhoon class subs operational (roughly 10 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis), we effectively had a Cuban Missile Crisis any time a sub came near our coast line. That's just an unfortunate reality that we have to live with now but we've been living with that threat for roughly 50 years now. Their subs are no where near as advanced as ours but when it comes to launching a nuclear attack, it doesn't really matter.
I'm not convinced that the bases are a real threat to the Russians either. If they REALLY wanted to, they could overrun the bases we have in Eastern Europe with ease. Hell, they could probably take out Germany before we could get the millions of men it would require to push back against them.

I mean that's the focal point though. A lot of the bells and whistles don't matter much, what matters is if you're able to stop those ballistic missiles with nuclear payloads, which we can't.

You're not but they are pretty adamant about being against it. And this isn't something new, they've been crying about our east-ward movement since the early 2000s. We now have dozens of weapon missile system all across central Europe.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jan 28 2022 01:35pm
Gold: 100,701.50
Jan 28 2022 02:33pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Jan 28 2022 08:07pm)
If Ukraine wanted to join NATO what business is that of RU?
PLEASE INFORM COMRADE

Same reason why we didn't like the Soviets installing their missiles in Cuba.

Google it if unsure ;)
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 28 2022 02:40pm
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=92115686&f=119&p=603728361
Quote (thundercock @ 28 Jan 2022 18:50)
LOL! Thanks for the laugh, the news has been rather dreary and it's good to have some levity.

You can laugh all you want, whenever the U.S. or NATO tried to play world police outside of their own sphere of influence, say in Vietnam, the Middle East or Latin America, things invariably turned to shit.

I don't think we need to go to war over this. We just need to cripple their economy so badly that they think twice before violating Ukraine's sovereignty. You might not know this, but placing troops in another country's territory is a violation of their sovereignty. You need a DAMN good reason to violate another nation's sovereignty and the Russians really don't have one.

I don't even disagree with that. I even said as much: if Russia really invades Ukraine, there will be crippling economic sanctions. Since my country would shoulder a far higher share of the economic burden of these sanctions than yours, I hope that it doesn't come to this and support my country's attempts at playing a mediating and moderating role in this conflict.

Your country's reluctance to do the right thing shows that you're a pawn amongst the real players. It's a shame too because I think that Germany is capable of being THE leader of Europe but you've positioned yourself quite poorly. Hopefully Biden can keep your rogue government in line!

That's the key dilemma of German foreign policies over the past 150 years or so: we are too weak to dominate the rest of Europe, but we're also too big and strong to not play an outsized role. Also, our politicians have, for obvious reasons, strong reservations against acting too assertive on the international stage. Likewise, the size and funding of our military tends to be kept on the lower side of things. Investing heavily in our military and playing a more active role in armed conflicts abroad are both very unpopular positions among the German electorate. Can't even blame Scholz or Merkel for that; this "weakness" has been ingrained in our people for generations.

Quote (thundercock @ 28 Jan 2022 20:29)
Indeed. I'm SHOCKED at how weak Germany is acting here. Their weakness makes Biden look like fucking Patton in comparison. Germany already chose the correct side decades ago and they need to grow some balls and quit crying over their heaters. Their fucking grandparents/great-grandparents lived through some of the most difficult times and now they are complaining about not being able to turn the thermostat to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. :rofl:

What exactly would you expect Germany to do or say in the current situation? Preemptively cancel the North Stream 2 pipeline before a Russian soldier has even set foot onto Ukrainian soil? Send dozens of tanks and troops to Ukraine?
Gold: 14,158.00
Jan 28 2022 03:03pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Jan 28 2022 02:20am)
RT == Russian propaganda. No one need your shit.
Putin must be removed, russia must be dismantled.
Their wives are doing great jobs tho.

lol.

What you're really saying is, "Hey Russia, please nuke me and all my friends and family!"

Putin will never be removed and dismantling Russia isn't possible without starting a nuclear war that will lead to the deaths of billions of people and the end of civilization as we know it. Sorry.

I know reality can be tough, but that's the reality for you.

Stop looking outside for invisible non-existent threats for you to hate and look within yourself instead, because that's where your real enemy lies. Your own crippling arrogance.
Gold: 5.77
Jan 28 2022 03:07pm
This must be tough for American conservatives.

On the one hand, you have a fascist government pushing nationalism in Ukraine, and on the other hand you have a fascist government pushing nationalism and imperialism in Russia. All good things. Hmm. I guess what it really comes down to for me is that Russia has the capacity to nuke the major cities in America where all the liberals live so that we the people conservatives can have are country back, and Ukraine doesn’t. That makes Russia the better ally.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Jan 28 2022 03:09pm
Gold: 14,158.00
Jan 28 2022 03:08pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 28 2022 07:01am)
Imagine being this cucked by Russian propaganda.

Yes, facts that could be easily verified by any technological or military analyst in 5 minutes are just "Russian propaganda."

The US has no mainland air defenses other than some shitty Patriot batteries because it expects never to be attacked directly. The patriot system is garbage that can barely stop 80's era cruise missiles. Also, the money to develop advanced air defense systems has been wasted and instead used to line the pockets of the military industrial complex. This has resulted in a technological advantage on the Russian side, which actually used their money to develop better systems rather than squander it to line the pockets of companies like Raytheon & co.

When it comes to nuclear war, you're better off examining the facts from a rational perspective than making the false assumption that you are somehow invincible. Might cost you your own life one day.
Gold: 751.50
Jan 28 2022 03:12pm
everyone who really thinks that russia will invade ukraine......i got some bad news

you are a complete idiot
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev178910114502Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll