d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1636465666777Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,485.00
Jul 26 2018 09:58am

U.S. loses bid to dismiss lawsuit over census citizenship question

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-lawsuit-census/u-s-loses-bid-to-dismiss-lawsuit-over-census-citizenship-question-idUSKBN1KG20N

The department said in March that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross decided to add the citizenship question after the Department of Justice requested it, in order to better enforce federal voting law.

A group of states and cities and several immigrant rights groups have sued to block the proposed question. They said it could lead to undercounting in states with large immigrant populations, jeopardizing their political representation and access to federal funds.

Furman said in Thursday’s decision that while Ross had the power to include the question, which was included in the census prior to 1960, he may have used it improperly. The judge also said his stated reason may have been “pretextual.”

I have the feeling the Supreme Court will allow the question on the 2020 Census. The BS about it causing under counting is just dumb.
The real reason is that states like NY and California would be giving the identities of illegals to ICE, or would be justifying the need for Voter ID.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 26 2018 10:25am
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 26 2018 08:58am)
U.S. loses bid to dismiss lawsuit over census citizenship question

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-lawsuit-census/u-s-loses-bid-to-dismiss-lawsuit-over-census-citizenship-question-idUSKBN1KG20N

I have the feeling the Supreme Court will allow the question on the 2020 Census. The BS about it causing under counting is just dumb.
The real reason is that states like NY and California would be giving the identities of illegals to ICE, or would be justifying the need for Voter ID.

No

under counting with lack of participation is a real problem in many communities and add on a question really designed as a weapon under an administration with a harder stance on deportation and it will make participation even less likely

affecting funding which in turn hurts education and the needed resources for that community

I realize that you are in favor of sacrificing communities in order to snake out undocumented immigrants but as usual I strongly disagree
Jul 26 2018 10:36am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jul 26 2018 12:25pm)
No

under counting with lack of participation is a real problem in many communities and add on a question really designed as a weapon under an administration with a harder stance on deportation and it will make participation even less likely

affecting funding which in turn hurts education and the needed resources for that community

I realize that you are in favor of sacrificing communities in order to snake out undocumented immigrants but as usual I strongly disagree

Yeah. Ya know when you start calling them illegal immigrants, maybe I'll start hearing what you have to say.

What would be your term for murderers? Life removal technicians?

Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 26 2018 10:43am
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 26 2018 09:36am)
Yeah. Ya know when you start calling them illegal immigrants, maybe I'll start hearing what you have to say.

What would be your term for murderers? Life removal technicians?

I don't compare undocumented immigrants to murderers unless they in fact murder which a massively large percentage of them do not

I know many from the communities I've lived and I've worked with many in jobs I had when I was younger

I prefer to show what I believe to be decency and respect by not referring to them as illegal people

You speak how you wish and I will do the same
Jul 31 2018 06:33pm

Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 31 2018 06:36pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 31 2018 08:33pm)
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a2ogWbe_460s.jpg

No such thing as either. Silly church.
Aug 16 2018 09:36pm

U.S. attorney general issues order to speed up immigrant deportations

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-sessions/u-s-attorney-general-issues-order-to-speed-up-immigrant-deportations-idUSKBN1L2021

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday sought to speed up the deportation of illegal immigrants, telling immigration judges they should only postpone cases in removal proceedings “for good cause shown.”

Sessions, in an interim order that was criticized by some lawyers, said the “good-cause” standard “limits the discretion of immigration judges and prohibits them from granting continuances for any reason or no reason at all.”

Sessions said on Thursday that the “use of continuances as a dilatory tactic is particularly pernicious in the immigration context” because people in the country illegally who want to remain have an incentive to delay their deportation as long as possible.

Granting continuances solely for good cause would be an “important check on immigration judges’ authority” and demonstrate public interest in “expeditious enforcement of the immigration laws,” Sessions said.

You go, Jeff. :D
Aug 23 2018 10:08pm
U.S. CEOs warn of harm from Trump administration's immigration policy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ceos/u-s-ceos-warn-of-harm-from-trump-administrations-immigration-policy-idUSKCN1L82KS

“Together, the USCIS actions significantly increase the likelihood that a long-term employee-who has followed the rules and who has been authorized by the U.S. government multiple times to work in the United States-will lose his or her status,” the letter said.

“At a time when the number of job vacancies are reaching historic highs due to labor shortages, now is not the time restrict access to talent,” the letter added.

The government should not change the rules in the middle of the process as it could result in unnecessary costs and complications, the executives said in a letter to the Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.

Nielsen, a Trump appointee, told reporters at a White House briefing on Thursday that the administration was only strictly enforcing the law.

“This administration did not create a policy of separating families ... What has changed is that we no longer exempt entire classes of people who break the law,” she said.

Alright, Kirstjen Nielsen. :D

/e

U.S. judge says lawsuit over married immigrants' arrests can proceed

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-lawsuit/u-s-judge-says-lawsuit-over-married-immigrants-arrests-can-proceed-idUSKCN1L82KI

Wolf on Thursday rejected the Justice Department’s claim that he lacked jurisdiction under federal law to hear any lawsuit challenging the authority of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which ICE forms part of, to enforce a removal order against an immigrant.

Apparently, we have judges that think they can tell the Justice Dept. where to go.

This post was edited by Ghot on Aug 23 2018 10:13pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Aug 23 2018 10:12pm
hey ghot, have the data for 2016-2018 ?

Aug 23 2018 10:26pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Aug 24 2018 12:12am)

Oh, ok. I guess since it's down to a total of 11.3 million, we'll just ignore it. :/
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1636465666777Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll