d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1524525526527528983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 16 2020 10:29am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 11:25am)
It's really Trump flexing his muscle: "look, you urged people to boycott this brand for publicly supporting me, and it instead backfired badly and the brand's sales are going through the roof."
It's an indication that Trump's base is still there and still wields economic power. Trump's influence over his base has always been the true source of his power. It's the reason why he was able to bully the Republican party into obedience, it's the reason why twitter hasnt dared to shut down his account, it's the reason why most corporations used to tread very carefully on anything Trump-related.

In recent weeks, corporate America had been increasingly coming out in favor of the BLM protests and liberal causes in general, and increasingly aligned themselves with censorship of conservative voices.
By emphasizing the Goya-Beans-counterexample, Trump is sending a message to corporate America that his power is not broken (yet?) and that publicly turning on him poses a larger risk to their bottom line than they think.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a violation of Federal ethics rules against using a public office/position to promote specific products.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 16 2020 10:39am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2020 12:25pm)
It's really Trump flexing his muscle: "look, you urged people to boycott this brand for publicly supporting me, and it instead backfired badly and the brand's sales are going through the roof."
It's an indication that Trump's base is still there and still wields economic power. Trump's influence over his base has always been the true source of his power. It's the reason why he was able to bully the Republican party into obedience, it's the reason why twitter hasnt dared to shut down his account, it's the reason why most corporations used to tread very carefully on anything Trump-related.

In recent weeks, corporate America had been increasingly coming out in favor of the BLM protests and liberal causes in general, and increasingly aligned themselves with censorship of conservative voices.
By emphasizing the Goya-Beans-counterexample, Trump is sending a message to corporate America that his power is not broken (yet?) and that publicly turning on him poses a larger risk to their bottom line than they think.

Flexing his muscle by breaking the law isn't good.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 16 2020 10:40am
Quote (Surfpunk @ 16 Jul 2020 18:29)
Doesn't change the fact that it's a violation of Federal ethics rules against using a public office/position to promote specific products.

Of course it is. Trump doesnt give a fuck, he's fighting for his political survival at the moment. He's not gonna let rules stand in his way when there's an opportunity to send a rare sign of strength amid a sea of bad news and the general sense of decline that's been surrounding him over the last weeks.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2020 10:40am
Gold: 12,145.00
Jul 16 2020 11:35am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jul 16 2020 11:51am)
Showing off foods prepared with Goya products (but without the packaging of said products) is one thing. Promoting the brand itself literally from the Resolute Desk is a completely different animal, and one that has ethics rules which regulate it (read: forbid).

The two aren't the same.

It's her twitter handle not a government official one. Who she is and her celebrity profile didn't come as a result of her being a government official.

It's kind of a stretch to say that she's doing this as government official using her office.

Quote (Surfpunk @ Jul 16 2020 12:29pm)

How exactly is she using her office as part of this promotion?

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 16 2020 11:41am
Jul 16 2020 11:48am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 16 2020 12:35pm)
It's her twitter handle not a government official one. Who she is and her celebrity profile didn't come as a result of her being a government official.

It's kind of a stretch to say that she's doing this as government official using her office.

How exactly is she using her office as part of this promotion?

I'm talking about Donald, not Ivanka. Especially since Donald previously had a picture of him with a generic taco salad, and I specifically mentioned the Resolute Desk (upon which Donald had an array of Goya products placed) in my previous comment. The courts have already held that Donald's social media platforms are an extension of official communications of the office of the President (which is why they can't de-platform him).

I mean, excellence's comment (which I quoted with the comment you quoted) specifically says "President Trump".

This post was edited by Surfpunk on Jul 16 2020 11:50am
Jul 16 2020 11:59am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jul 16 2020 01:48pm)
I'm talking about Donald, not Ivanka. Especially since Donald previously had a picture of him with a generic taco salad, and I specifically mentioned the Resolute Desk (upon which Donald had an array of Goya products placed) in my previous comment. The courts have already held that Donald's social media platforms are an extension of official communications of the office of the President (which is why they can't de-platform him).

I mean, excellence's comment (which I quoted with the comment you quoted) specifically says "President Trump".

A person can wear many identity hats simultaneously.

Father, son, president, friend, Caucasian, businessman, etc.

It's his personal twitter handle, to me it's still a stretch to say that he is using his office to promote the brand.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 16 2020 12:09pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 16 2020 12:59pm)

It's his personal twitter handle, to me it's still a stretch to say that he is using his office to promote the brand.

Coke used to pay big cash just to have a can in a movie on a table for 3 seconds, not even someone drinking it or mentioning the brand.

he's promoting them, in his office, because they support what he does in office. i guess i dont even lol.

good thing he didnt put his feet on the resolute desk tho or Fox would have to do an all day panel on disrespecting america.
Jul 16 2020 12:10pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 16 2020 12:59pm)

A photo of the POTUS, sitting in the Oval Office, sitting behind the Resolute Desk, with an array of Goya products on said desk, isn't using the office to promote a brand?

Jul 16 2020 12:28pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 16 2020 02:09pm)
Coke used to pay big cash just to have a can in a movie on a table for 3 seconds, not even someone drinking it or mentioning the brand.

he's promoting them, in his office, because they support what he does in office. i guess i dont even lol.

good thing he didnt put his feet on the resolute desk tho or Fox would have to do an all day panel on disrespecting america.

Quote (Surfpunk @ Jul 16 2020 02:10pm)
A photo of the POTUS, sitting in the Oval Office, sitting behind the Resolute Desk, with an array of Goya products on said desk, isn't using the office to promote a brand?

https://media.tenor.com/images/17b2568dc949048eccbb207b29110111/tenor.gif

Maybe because i'm not that familiar with the oval office but from this pic i wouldn't immediately think he is in there. I bet vast majority of people are like me, i'v seen pics of it but usually you could see the full desk and you could actually see some of the office which makes it easily identifiable instead of a close up.

Is he promoting them? Yes.

Is he promoting them in an official capacity as the president of the US? To me that's still a stretch even with the named desk lol. If he was golfing with the Goya CEO and he said Goya has great products, i suspect the same people would be saying he abused his office so the desk somehow being proof that he is doing it in an official potus capacity is moot.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 16 2020 12:28pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jul 16 2020 02:10pm)

https://media.tenor.com/images/17b2568dc949048eccbb207b29110111/tenor.gif

PTDS(pro-Trump derangement syndrome) hits some people hard.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1524525526527528983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll