d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev14462446344644465Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 16 2024 12:46pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 16 2024 12:03pm)
It's near impossible to know but we've beat this horse to death with some well known facts:

-Vast majority of deaths in this war are due to artillery/drones.
-Russia has between 5-10 to 1 artillery advantage. Maybe Ukraine had a drone advantage for a few months early on but that's largely gone now, both sides use drones extensively.
-Russia, unlike Ukraine regularly carries out rear/logistic attacks well beyond just the front lines. There's monthly strikes on hotels, training centers & other target rich places. Strikes on the training center killing hundreds few weeks back have been happening for many months. Obviously not all are as impactful though.
-Russia is and has been advancing much more than Ukraine, typically the attacker will suffer more losses defenders will be entrenched and ready.
-Russia has an extensive spy network in Ukraine. There's a lot of friendly's in places like Odessa, Kharkov, across the Donbass, that easily and regularly give away high value coordinates.
-Ukraine has troop issues. Average age of soldiers is well over 40, and troops aren't rotated regularly from front lines. That leads to poor morale, fatigue and dissatisfaction with leadership. Russia uses contract soldiers, most of which are volunteers that were paid and so far have been more than enough to replenish numbers. They objectively have the numbers advantage.

All in all, i think between the higher fire power and regularly hitting the rear balances out pushing forward. It's really difficult to see how Ukraine would be mustering higher losses on Russia with all these things considered.

A big point you missed is the reported gigantic gap in Russian vs Ukrainian combat engineering
Pretty much every report from the front lines and especially where Russia has advanced harps on how Russian fortifications have been extensive, layered, professionally contracted and built, but Ukrainian fortifications have been slapdash. Ukrainian soldiers report how rear defensive lines... don't even exist, while front lines tend to be shallow trenches. I mean, on satellite imagery you can plainly see how Russian construction eclipsed Ukrainian defenses many times over.

The attacker disadvantage is kind of subject to the ability to field competent defensive lines, and when we're talking about long stalemated artillery/drone exchanges in a war of attrition, the side with proper bunkers and trenches takes a lot less casualties
Gold: 32,517.50
Sep 16 2024 12:51pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 16 2024 07:41pm)
Iraq and Afghanistan are some of the worst geopolitical decisions ever for this nation. Literally spent like 10 trillion dollars (if you throw Syria in there too) to only end up with the Taliban still in charge and an Iraqi government that's mostly pro-Iran. Oh, and hundreds of thousands flooding into Europe for our 'allies' to take care off on the backs of their social safety nets. If this war ends soon and Russia ends up with all this land, at least they'll have something to show for their war. Wtf do we got, debt and "mission accomplished" as more habibis want death to America more than ever before?

In 2001 US GDP was around 10 trillion per year. In 2024 it is around 25 trillion per year.
So, with nothing else considered, a 2.5x increase in GDP.

An average of 15 trillion a year over 20 years is about 300 trillion GDP gross. 10 trillion, which is about 2 trillion above estimates but thats ballpark.
That is around 3 percent of GDP spent on the war on terror.

The US has the largest GDP in the world, by far. The largest, most experienced and most capable armed forces. Not to mention,

And it cost all of 3% of overall GDP over 2 decades.

I am seeing figures that suggest the Ukraine war costing Russia anywhere from 500million-1billion usd a DAY; With potentially 35% of government spending being allocated to defence.

Yikes.
Gold: 0.85
Sep 16 2024 12:56pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Sep 16 2024 02:39pm)
You seem bothered.

I'm for facts, i don't put any feelings into those discussions. The sooner the population agree on facts and our main issues that need to be solved (Mass immigration, crooked system, lack of resources spent on our infrastructure) the sooner we can all work together to build a better future for our future generations before migrants grab and eat the whole pie and leave us the crumbs.

I just don't understand why people like you, gnar and the others like y'all behave like this. It bring nothing positive when you guys lie to yourself and just try to get a reaction out of people.

Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Sep 16 2024 02:51pm)
In 2001 US GDP was around 10 trillion per year. In 2024 it is around 25 trillion per year.

An average of 15 trillion a year over 20 years is about 300 trillion GDP gross. 10 trillion, which is about 2 trillion above estimates but thats ballpark.

The US has the largest GDP in the world, by far. The largest, most experienced and most capable armed forces. Not to mention,
https://i.imgur.com/0h9LUhf.png

I am seeing figures that suggest the Ukraine war costing Russia anywhere from 500million-1billion usd a DAY; With potentially 35% of government spending being allocated to defence.

Yikes.

And look at how the population is getting poorer and poorer. The increase in mental illnesses, homeless, drug addicts. Migrants taking over our jobs & getting our perks while being hosted on our tax $ . I guess being able to kill more enemies than our enemies is what matters to most.

This post was edited by iLoveMyUsername on Sep 16 2024 12:58pm
Gold: 13,586.00
Sep 16 2024 12:57pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 16 2024 02:46pm)
A big point you missed is the reported gigantic gap in Russian vs Ukrainian combat engineering
Pretty much every report from the front lines and especially where Russia has advanced harps on how Russian fortifications have been extensive, layered, professionally contracted and built, but Ukrainian fortifications have been slapdash. Ukrainian soldiers report how rear defensive lines... don't even exist, while front lines tend to be shallow trenches. I mean, on satellite imagery you can plainly see how Russian construction eclipsed Ukrainian defenses many times over.

The attacker disadvantage is kind of subject to the ability to field competent defensive lines, and when we're talking about long stalemated artillery/drone exchanges in a war of attrition, the side with proper bunkers and trenches takes a lot less casualties

Fair point on engineering.

As for bold, i think soviet era cities/towns act as natural good defensive positions, that's why Bakhmut, Adveevka, other highly industrialized places held for so long, that type of urban warfare is very costly on an attacker. The other think to consider is, unlike what western propaganda tells us, no the Russians are not sending meat waves armed with shovels. They pound defensive positions with arty/glide bombs, then send drones, then infantry/tanks/etc, so that defenders advantage is certainly softened and not as significant.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 16 2024 12:58pm
Gold: 100,701.50
Sep 16 2024 01:02pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Sep 16 2024 08:51pm)

https://i.imgur.com/0h9LUhf.png

Yikes.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

123% debt to GDP ratio and no that's not 2001 GDP comrade :D

E: and spending 2 trillion taxpayer's money to get rid of Bin Laden sounds about right to you? Get a grip comrade :thumbsup:

This post was edited by Djunior on Sep 16 2024 01:04pm
Gold: 32,517.50
Sep 16 2024 01:19pm
Throwing out suggestions and hoping the United States somehow catches an L, without a basic understanding of how fiscal debt and GDP actually functions.

The best entertainment.
Gold: 100,701.50
Sep 16 2024 01:27pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Sep 16 2024 09:19pm)
Throwing out suggestions and hoping the United States somehow catches an L, without a basic understanding of how fiscal debt and GDP actually functions.

The best entertainment.

You borrow money --> you pay interest until you've paid it back. That's how it works.

Imagine thinking that drowning yourself in debt is actually a good thing :lol:
Gold: 0.00
Sep 16 2024 02:12pm
technically US debt has gone down in the last two decades due to inflation. the apparent increase is nominal
Gold: 11.11
Sep 17 2024 05:02am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 16 2024 11:14am)
And it took Russia 2.5 years to add less than 10% of Ukraine's territory (on top of what they already controlled pre-invasion), while NATO had conquered all of Afghanistan within 9 weeks. :rolleyes:

Theres a substantial difference between these wars that i already pointed out but yes, nato took over the taliban with ease.
This still doesnt change the fact that Afghanistan is seen as an embarrassing failure and Russia has been embarrassed because its overall advance is slow.

The difference between the two is that uncle sam packed up and left, while the Russians arent going anywhere. Those trillions of dollars worth of rare earth minerals more than justifies the heavy price the Russians have paid.

I dont think you or prox realises this but (imo) comparing the talibs to the Ukrainians is pretty disrespectful towards the Ukrainians.
Ever think that maybe its not the Russians that are slow but that the Ukrainians are just that good?

This post was edited by zorzin on Sep 17 2024 05:02am
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 17 2024 06:10am
I chime in once in a while with the roundup of latest war crimes seen on either side, usually plenty of mundane fodder and there was a particular increase in execution of POWs by Russia when Ukrainian lines fell back / collapses in the DPR. I chalk that up mostly to increased number of POWs taken
but today had one in particular, a Ukrainian executed with an ornamental longsword by Russian troops. Based on all the blood, was definitely alive when he got skewered, based on tape, he was a POW
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14462446344644465Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll