d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1443244334434443544364465Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 20 2024 05:45pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 21 Aug 2024 00:19)
In terms of resources, it's probably good news that the most experienced Ukrainian troops aren't on the Donbass front-lines.

Do we actually know which troops Ukraine has used for the Kursk incursion versus the defense in the Donbass? Do you have any source on Ukraine's best soldiers being the ones deployed to Kursk?
Gold: 11.11
Aug 20 2024 06:00pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 20 2024 07:45pm)
Do we actually know which troops Ukraine has used for the Kursk incursion versus the defense in the Donbass? Do you have any source on Ukraine's best soldiers being the ones deployed to Kursk?

I think its fair to say that based on the footage coming outa kursk that these are top-tier Ukranian soldiers. The pace of the incursion has been amazing. The Ukrainians have traded more than fairly so far and the level of co-ordination here is astronomical, so there's no way some recent draftee is apart of this.

These soldiers have been well trained and well rested. The southern flank is static and the most important asset the
Ukrainians have in the area are drone operators. These guys have 100% percent been training on this for months.

This is all conjecture however; I have no sources for any of my claims. I do believe that the best Ukrainian soldiers should be in kursk and that there's no point in throwing away valuable assets into a collapsing front.

This post was edited by zorzin on Aug 20 2024 06:00pm
Gold: 13,586.00
Aug 20 2024 06:07pm
Quote (zorzin @ Aug 20 2024 08:00pm)
I think its fair to say that based on the footage coming outa kursk that these are top-tier Ukranian soldiers. The pace of the incursion has been amazing. The Ukrainians have traded more than fairly so far and the level of co-ordination here is astronomical, so there's no way some recent draftee is apart of this.

These soldiers have been well trained and well rested. The southern flank is static and the most important asset the
Ukrainians have in the area are drone operators. These guys have 100% percent been training on this for months.

This is all conjecture however; I have no sources for any of my claims. I do believe that the best Ukrainian soldiers should be in kursk and that there's no point in throwing away valuable assets into a collapsing front.

I've seen a few videos and it is slanted more towards younger soldiers (25s-30s) versus maybe 45-50 year old's, which makes sense actually. A 50 year old may not have the stamina to be sprinting forward in a high paced, high adrenaline offensive, but do just as well as a 25yr old sitting in a defensive trench. But this is just trivial observations of some of the videos and pics i've seen, none of us know for a fact.

In contrast, some of the pics of the Russian border guards captured are legit 18-19 year old's. Those youngins of course would fold.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Aug 20 2024 06:10pm
Gold: 204.37
Aug 20 2024 08:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 20 2024 07:45pm)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/08/08/one-of-ukraines-toughest-and-fastest-brigades-has-joined-the-invasion-of-russia/

Do we know for certain? All I'd say for sure is that they're experienced soldiers, and upwards of ~15k committed. The Avdiivka front broke down in Feb/March, the Toretsk front in July. The Russians are going to be in the Pokrovsk/Myrnohrad suburbs by this time next month. It's safe to say that those troops are urgently needed elsewhere. Ukraine obviously thought this was their best shot, but there's a lot of risk. The Donbass is a minefield filled with trenches. Once you get beyond that (e.g. the Pokrovsk front) it's hard to stop an enemy that has you outnumbered and outgunned.
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 20 2024 09:02pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 21 Aug 2024 04:02)

Thanks! Seems like they really sent some of their best to Kursk. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision, to put it mildly...

The Donbass is a minefield filled with trenches. Once you get beyond that (e.g. the Pokrovsk front) it's hard to stop an enemy that has you outnumbered and outgunned.

Wasn't the same already said when they broke through in Avdiivka?

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Aug 20 2024 09:02pm
Gold: 109,989.69
Aug 20 2024 09:10pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 20 2024 10:02pm)
Thanks! Seems like they really sent some of their best to Kursk. I'm not sure if that's a wise decision, to put it mildly...

I seem to recall news stories of Ukraine paying contractors millions of dollars to build fortifications in the city and by the time the Russians showed up no fortifications existed.
Gold: 100,701.50
Aug 21 2024 02:40am
Latest Russian reaction on NS blasts and some comments on Kursk incursion

Check question plus reply @8:00

Aug 21 2024 06:54am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 20 2024 11:02pm)

The fall of Avdiivka created the salient that is now less than 10km from Pokrovsk. Russia leverages manpower advantages to threaten encirclement, Ukraine withdraws, Russia uses the space to better leverage manpower, encirclement, withdraw, and repeat. There's still time to make a stand, but losing Pokrovsk would be uniquely bad in a way that losing random villages isn't. It's the main supply line further east and the path to Dnipro is wide open.
Aug 22 2024 05:37am
https://archive.is/cPkuS#selection-1067.0-1070.0

Ukraine’s withdrawal from Avdiivka in February and a bungled rotation in nearby Ocheretyne in May set the stage for the charge on Pokrovsk. Russia is now 10km from the town. At the station platform, the sound of sobbing competes with squeaks from pets squeezed into bags and boxes for the journey west. One question is enough to trigger tears. Yulia Kostynova breaks down as she recalls how a Russian bomb on August 11th destroyed the meat-processing plant were she worked. “Constant stress, explosions, doors and windows that blow open by the shock waves,” she says. “Everything inside you tightens. You hear the rocket, and you wait, and you ask if it will land near you and your home.”

Ukrainian commanders give different reasons for the Russian advance. Some say there aren’t enough shells, with the enemy firing up to ten times as many. Others point to Russian tactics—small infantry assaults, glide bombs, new types of electronic warfare. But exhaustion and manpower issues seem to be at the heart of the collapse. “People aren’t made of steel,” says Colonel Pavlo Fedosenko. Ukrainian troops, outnumbered 4:1, aren’t getting any rest, he says. Some stay on the front lines for 30 or 40 days at a time, cramped in foxholes inches from death. “Dublin,” a fighter attached to the 59th brigade south-east of Pokrovsk, knows soldiers who have been in place for more than two months. Two had strokes. Ukraine’s problems are compounded by “idiotic” orders, he says.

Ukraine’s surprise mini-invasion of Russia provokes mixed feelings. Dublin says early successes lifted morale. But it didn’t last. The hope that Russia might respond by moving troops from Pokrovsk has been supplanted by the realisation that it has not. Ukrainian security sources confirm that while Russia has moved troops from other sections of the eastern front line, it reinforced around Pokrovsk. Ukraine meanwhile redeployed special forces units to Kursk, and is patching up the Pokrovsk front with untested formations. “The Russians have figured things out and aren’t taking the bait,” complains Dublin.
Gold: 13,586.00
Aug 22 2024 10:18am
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 22 2024 07:37am)

Pretty much. Ukrainian calculus was probably we will embarrass Putin and he will immediately respond heavy handed in Kursk with lots of troops, taking from the real battles. Instead the Russians created a perimeter around that are and are just using drones and setting traps. What exactly is the urgency?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1443244334434443544364465Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll