d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russiagate Gathering Steam?
Prev1438439440441442445Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 24.06
Nov 25 2020 08:03pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Nov 25 2020 06:37pm)
We know you are ok with corruption.

Hillary cheated in the debates against Bernie sanders and should of insanity been disqualified, but you freaks loved her corruption.
Gold: 2,617.52
Nov 25 2020 08:04pm
Quote (Landmine @ Nov 25 2020 09:03pm)
Hillary cheated in the debates against Bernie sanders and should of insanity been disqualified, but you freaks loved her corruption.

"no evidence of widespread debate cheating"
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 25 2020 08:14pm
Quote (Landmine @ Nov 25 2020 08:29pm)
Wrong. He was trapped in an investigation that should never of happened. The dnc and corrupt fbi and cia Director and Democrats knowingly lied and leaked false information to the media to usurp a sitting president. They should all be in prison for treason, but the fbi trying to trap someone in a lie on a matter that wasn’t related to the issue of the cause is your definition of a corrupt president.

He wasn't "trapped" in a lie... the FBI even tried to jog his memory using specific phrases he said to the Russian ambassador. He chose to lie because he knew what he did was wrong.

Quote (bogie160 @ Nov 25 2020 08:58pm)
As did Hillary Clinton. But you know that, because I've pointed it out to you several times.

Flynn tried to bury a story and ended up lying when he shouldn't have lied. His call with Kisylak was completely above board, and he should have known as much and just told the truth. But in context of what has happened, and not happened, there's zero justice in pursuing him at this point. The pardon is completely fine.

You pointed to how Hillary lied about whether she knew what classified markings meant. Perhaps she did lie, but it's not completely clear whether she did. The FBI couldn't prove she knew about the markings. I don't know how that's relevant here.

I believe in the principle of one administration at a time... so an incoming transition official negotiating with a hostile power that just attacked our election is bad to me. I understand right-wingers don't care about that though.... although obviously you would if Democrats were the ones at fault.
Gold: 319.37
Nov 25 2020 08:34pm
Quote (IceMage @ Nov 25 2020 09:14pm)

You pointed to how Hillary lied about whether she knew what classified markings meant. Perhaps she did lie, but it's not completely clear whether she did. The FBI couldn't prove she knew about the markings. I don't know how that's relevant here.

I believe in the principle of one administration at a time... so an incoming transition official negotiating with a hostile power that just attacked our election is bad to me. I understand right-wingers don't care about that though.... although obviously you would if Democrats were the ones at fault.

Of course she lied. Are we pretending that we're stupid? And of course the FBI knew the same as we did, but they had zero interest in pursuing someone on a lie whom everyone (including me) supposed would be their next boss.

We are not upset because Flynn lied and that caused great harm. His lie was innocuous and caused no harm at all. In relation to his call with Kisylak, there was nothing to hide. But we consider it a crime because there may be situations where a lie is impactful, and we need to disincentive lying in general. It should be obvious how this justification falls apart when we punish some liars but not others, especially when the consideration for punishing the lie is what position they hold or whether we presume that it's likely that they will soon be our boss. In fact, it's probably more important that we uphold principles in that sort of situation and let the cards fall as they may.

Flynn was establishing a relationship with his counterpart in Russia, as Biden's incoming administration is doing now. Trump was going to be making the decisions, not Obama, and Flynn let Kisylak know that drastic action, in retaliation to Obama's sanctions, wasn't necessary, as a new administration was about to enter office and their policy positions might be different. There is simply nothing untoward about that, as there is nothing untoward about Biden and his staff letting the world know that "America First" is probably no longer going to be the official policy of the United States.
Gold: 21.93
Nov 25 2020 08:34pm
Quote (Landmine @ Nov 26 2020 01:03pm)

No i think she should have been kicked out of the party along with any dnc members found to be complicit.
Nov 25 2020 08:53pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Nov 25 2020 09:34pm)
Of course she lied. Are we pretending that we're stupid? And of course the FBI knew the same as we did, but they had zero interest in pursuing someone on a lie whom everyone (including me) supposed would be their next boss.

We are not upset because Flynn lied and that caused great harm. His lie was innocuous and caused no harm at all. In relation to his call with Kisylak, there was nothing to hide. But we consider it a crime because there may be situations where a lie is impactful, and we need to disincentive lying in general. It should be obvious how this justification falls apart when we punish some liars but not others, especially when the consideration for punishing the lie is what position they hold or whether we presume that it's likely that they will soon be our boss. In fact, it's probably more important that we uphold principles in that sort of situation and let the cards fall as they may.

Flynn was establishing a relationship with his counterpart in Russia, as Biden's incoming administration is doing now. Trump was going to be making the decisions, not Obama, and Flynn let Kisylak know that drastic action, in retaliation to Obama's sanctions, wasn't necessary, as a new administration was about to enter office and their policy positions might be different. There is simply nothing untoward about that, as there is nothing untoward about Biden and his staff letting the world know that "America First" is probably no longer going to be the official policy of the United States.

I don't think it's clear... and neither did Jim Comey. The FBI investigated her for months and couldn't find a crime... get over it.

Flynn's lie gave the FBI reason to be more suspicious of the Trump team than perhaps was warranted. I don't accept the argument that Democrats get away with lying... and in reality that's just a way to minimize the crimes that people on your side committed.

Flynn's allowed to have conversations with counterparts from foreign countries... but he's not supposed to ask them to take certain actions. That's delving into diplomacy... and there's only one administration at a time. Again, there's no reason to believe you would maintain that this behavior was fine if it were a Democrat interfering with an outgoing Republican administration.
Gold: 24.06
Nov 25 2020 09:00pm
Quote (IceMage @ Nov 25 2020 07:53pm)
I don't think it's clear... and neither did Jim Comey. The FBI investigated her for months and couldn't find a crime... get over it.

Flynn's lie gave the FBI reason to be more suspicious of the Trump team than perhaps was warranted. I don't accept the argument that Democrats get away with lying... and in reality that's just a way to minimize the crimes that people on your side committed.

Flynn's allowed to have conversations with counterparts from foreign countries... but he's not supposed to ask them to take certain actions. That's delving into diplomacy... and there's only one administration at a time. Again, there's no reason to believe you would maintain that this behavior was fine if it were a Democrat interfering with an outgoing Republican administration.

Why isn’t Jim comey in jail for lying to Congress and leaking information?
Nov 25 2020 09:29pm
Quote (Landmine @ Nov 25 2020 10:00pm)
Why isn’t Jim comey in jail for lying to Congress and leaking information?

Cause Bill Barr is part of the deep state.
Gold: 319.37
Nov 25 2020 10:04pm
Quote (IceMage @ Nov 25 2020 09:53pm)

If you believe that Hillary Clinton did not known that "C" stood for Confidential, after decades of security work, then I have to question whether you're intelligent enough to continue in this conversation. No one holds James Comey's opinion in any sort of esteem.

It might have given the FBI reason to be suspicious, except that the FBI had already heard every single word of what had been discussed, and knew that there was nothing there.

I do maintain this behavior is fine, because this is literally happening at this very moment and I am perfectly alright with it. You are suggesting that Flynn must allow Russia to launch damaging sanctions against the United States, to our detriment, knowing full well that the Trump administration is going to take a different tact with Russia and eliminate those sanctions as soon as he is in office. In what world is that the preferred scenario?

This post was edited by bogie160 on Nov 25 2020 10:04pm
Nov 25 2020 10:16pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Nov 25 2020 11:04pm)
If you believe that Hillary Clinton did not known that "C" stood for Confidential, after decades of security work, then I have to question whether you're intelligent enough to continue in this conversation. No one holds James Comey's opinion in any sort of esteem.

It might have given the FBI reason to be suspicious, except that the FBI had already heard every single word of what had been discussed, and knew that there was nothing there.

I do maintain this behavior is fine, because this is literally happening at this very moment and I am perfectly alright with it. You are suggesting that Flynn must allow Russia to launch damaging sanctions against the United States, to our detriment, knowing full well that the Trump administration is going to take a different tact with Russia and eliminate those sanctions as soon as he is in office. In what world is that the preferred scenario?

I think there's a fair chance she did not know what the markings meant. I do hold Comey's opinion on this matter in high regard. Also if I'm not mistaken there were only a handful of emails with the markings on them.

How would the FBI know there was nothing there? They were investigating links or coordination between the campaign and Russia... so Flynn lying about a conversation he had with the Russian ambassador was notable.

You're conflating normal transition behavior with abnormal behavior. And now you're trying to justify Flynn's rogue diplomacy.

This post was edited by IceMage on Nov 25 2020 10:30pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1438439440441442445Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll