d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev140414243444501Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 1 2022 06:41am
Quote (Goomshill @ 1 Mar 2022 10:31)
The war on {russian people} is now starting up

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1498598946989608960

The Munich Philharmonic has fired Gergiev (!!!) for being a Russian person and refusing to condemn his mother country.
Gergiev is a hell of a big name in the classical scene for anyone unaware
Its hilarious, James Levine gets sacked because he's a pedo who diddles little boys (and gets a $3.5 million severance). Gergiev gets sacked not because of what he has said or done recently, but because he refuses to make a compulsory speech denouncing Putin.
Its like when the cancel squad came for Valentina Lisitsa for being a pro-Russian Ukrainian and Canada refused her concerts. But she was just a classical pianist- and was aggressively outspoken and tweeting about it in realtime- Gergiev is one of the biggest names in the whole world and was minding his own damn business. They straight up declared they were refusing to book Gergiev's concerts and firing Gergiev unless he would put out a statement condemning Putin and Russia.

Tell me again how Russophobia isn't real

What you want they do ? To support him ?
He dismissed BTW, wasn't "fired". He was simply too much of a Putin war crime lover.
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 1 2022 06:52am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Mar 1 2022 06:41am)
What you want they do ? To support him ?
He dismissed BTW, wasn't "fired". He was simply too much of a Putin war crime lover.

You may not be aware of this but being dismissed and being fired are literally the same thing.
They didn't have to "do" anything. Gergiev is a conductor, he conducts orchestras. They confronted him and demanded he sign his name to a statement denouncing his mother russia or else they'd fire him. They chose to persecute him for his beliefs and associations proactively, rather than in response to anything he said or did, because he didn't say or do anything. He was minding his own business doing apolitical classical music, they went all spanish inquisition on him and not in the funny way
Gold: 50,282.69
Mar 1 2022 06:55am
Quote (Goomshill @ 1 Mar 2022 13:29)
consequences implies causation. Guilt by association is without causation

I am not saying they deserve it or that they would be guilty? Just like poor ukranie ppl didnt deserve what they get. Some guy was posting anime fanarts just a few days ago from his reddit account just like every normal kid. Now hes posting pictures of his evacuation, and has no idea whats happening next, its surreal. I feel sorry for that russian guy, but for every case like that there are ten thousand ukrainians. I wonder why dont you spare them some thoughts too.

Good ppl of russia shouldnt be anyones enemy. But its happening and will happen every time a country starts a senseless war.

Someone should let putin know what is happening to his ppl as a result of his actions, not jsp :rofl:
Gold: 285.00
Mar 1 2022 06:55am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 1 2022 07:52am)
You may not be aware of this but being dismissed and being fired are literally the same thing.
They didn't have to "do" anything. Gergiev is a conductor, he conducts orchestras. They confronted him and demanded he sign his name to a statement denouncing his mother russia or else they'd fire him. They chose to persecute him for his beliefs and associations proactively, rather than in response to anything he said or did, because he didn't say or do anything. He was minding his own business doing apolitical classical music, they went all spanish inquisition on him and not in the funny way

It would be crazy if there were conceptualized some sort of worker protections in the law that protects people from arbitrary discipline and firings.

I just have not heard of such a thing Goomshill. Have you heard of such a thing?

I suppose my real non sarcastic question is why should wealthy foreign conductors have more freedom and protection than every other American worker?

^^ Real question.
Gold: 30,584.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 1 2022 06:56am
persecuted because of where he was born. lame. My grandfather was killed by the Germans, lets fire every prominent German in Ireland. My cousin was killed by the Israel's - lets fire every prominent Israeli (alot of those!) god know they have the largest open air prison on the planet, and they have no problem killing women and children.

I have alot of German and Israeli friends, and American and Russian friends. I do not condemn them just because they were born in Germany / Israel / America / Russia or because of their beliefs. "We can't do anything to Putin so we will go for the soft targets instead". Just wow.

edit: on further reading, it looks like he has made statements in the past and is therefore a soft (prominent) target. its still lame though and a precursor to more widespread actions like this, against russians in general.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 1 2022 07:12am
Gold: 35,785.13
Warn: 30%
Mar 1 2022 06:57am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 1 2022 06:52am)

No one expects the Spanish inquisition.
Make him sit in the comfy chair.

This post was edited by sirthom on Mar 1 2022 06:57am
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 1 2022 07:02am
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 1 2022 06:55am)
It would be crazy if there were conceptualized some sort of worker protections in the law that protects people from arbitrary discipline and firings.

I just have not heard of such a thing Goomshill. Have you heard of such a thing?

I suppose my real non sarcastic question is why should wealthy foreign conductors have more freedom and protection than every other American worker?

^^ Real question.

if you really want to torture this comparison then you'd be running into the fact that at-will states still don't allow employers to discriminate based on race or national origin, and gergiev is obviously being singled out for being a russian. They could try to argue in court its his association and beliefs alone, not his identity. Let me know how that works out for a white right-wing boss who fires a black subordinate because he finds out they support Black Lives Matter on facebook. There's a nonzero amount of protections already in place and there's plenty of precedent for it being stretched. Like the gay black muslim guy in a wheelchair I knew once, firing aint that easy
Gold: 285.00
Mar 1 2022 07:04am
So a webpage was found in the Russian state news server that was a announcement page for Russia conquering Kiev and the declaration of a greater russia with russia, Belarus, ukraine, and Moldova. It wasn't published because it didn't happen.

Reports are made that Putin expected this to be like Crimea, Donbass, and other areas where he didn't get much pushback. Apparently this very stable genius is surprised pikachu face and lashing out at everyone.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 1 2022 07:04am
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 1 2022 07:08am
Quote (Goomshill @ 1 Mar 2022 12:52)

They did not want to present him on podiums because Gergiev was openly a supporter of War-Crime-Putin. Too much problems.
Very legitimate since he's a public person.

/nb: this has nothing to do with Russia, but about Putin dictator support, specifically.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Mar 1 2022 07:09am
Gold: 30,584.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 1 2022 07:12am
yea thats what it looks like.

Viktoria Kashirina was also fired :(

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 1 2022 07:16am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev140414243444501Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll