d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1406040614062406340644518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 11 2024 01:36pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 11 Mar 2024 14:50)
Non-front lines cities are barely touched though. Sure some like Odessa, Dnipro, Zap, etc. get the occasional missile strikes against weapons depots or grain hangars, but generally speaking life goes on.

If I was a 17 year old boy in Ukraine in any of these cities, I'd be infinitely more scared of military commissars rather than missiles.

Odessa, Dnipro, Zap, Kharkiv, Kyiv, Cherson and even Lviv are all getting attacked regularly. Combined, those cities make up around one third of the population in Kyiv-controlled Ukraine.
Gold: 268.37
Mar 11 2024 01:45pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 02:52am)
You tell 4 million people America will be better off if they are now unemployed.

Let me know how irrelevant that experience is for you.

This is an appeal to emotion.

We could mandate permanent full employment by paying people to do jumping jacks, and then reject outright any proposed reduction to said employment scheme by pointing out that any cut will necessarily impact millions of jobs. Would this be good policy? I think you already know the answer.
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 11 2024 01:47pm
Quote (ferdia @ 11 Mar 2024 15:08)
I feel it would be more worthwhile to figure out how it is that new users to the thread are able to ignore all the evidence which supports the notion that the US is escalating the war

Far and away the biggest escalation in this war, which had really been going on since 2014, has been Russia's wholesale invasion of all of Ukraine from Feb 2022. What exactly did the US do to spur this particular escalation?

and refuse to accept the notion of spheres of influence.

The notion of spheres of influence clashes with the notion of national sovereignty. What this boils down to is "Ukraine must do as Moscow says, otherwise, they'll be bombed into submission." Is it really surprising that a lot of people reject this notion?

It is quite frankly odd that there is no concern about escalating a war with a nuclear armed opponent yet expecting that opponent to lose. baffling.

Not actually baffling once you think about it for more than 5 seconds. Nukes are horrible offensive weapons, not just because of their destruction and the contamination they leave behind, but also because their deployment almost inevitably leads to mutual destruction. Nukes provide a safeguard against a hypothetical NATO invasion of mainland Russia, but they would have a really hard time justifying the use of nukes if (theoretically) their conventional forces get defeated by the conventional forces of Ukraine while fighting on Ukrainian territory.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 11 2024 01:51pm
Gold: 7,914.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2024 01:52pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 11 2024 07:47pm)
Far and away the biggest escalation in this war, which had really been going on since 2014, has been Russia's wholesale invasion of all of Ukraine from Feb 2022. What exactly did the US do to spur this particular escalation?

The notion of spheres of influence clashes with the notion of national sovereignty. What this boils down to is "Ukraine must do as Moscow says, otherwise, they'll be bombed into submission." Is it really surprising that a lot of people reject this notion?

Not actually baffling once you think about it for more than 5 seconds. Nukes are horrible offensive weapons, not just because of their destruction and the contamination they leave behind, but also because their deployment almost inevitably leads to mutual destruction. Nukes provide a safeguard against a hypothetical NATO invasion of mainland Russia, but they would have a really hard time justifying the use of nukes if (theoretically) their conventional forces get defeated by the conventional forces of Ukraine while fighting on Ukrainian territory.

refusing to negotiate, telling their allies, telling ukraine not to negotiate a peace.
Gold: 166,368.82
Mar 11 2024 02:09pm
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 08:52pm)
refusing to negotiate, telling their allies, telling ukraine not to negotiate a peace.

There have been negotiations, but guess who rejected:
"Vladimir Putin's chief envoy on Ukraine told the Russian leader as the war began that he had struck a provisional deal with Kyiv that would satisfy Russia's demand that Ukraine stay out of NATO, but Putin rejected it and pressed ahead with his military campaign, according to three people close to the Russian leadership."
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/exclusive-war-began-putin-rejected-ukraine-peace-deal-recommended-by-his-aide-2022-09-14/

"Russian President Vladimir Putin continued to demonstrate that Russia is not interested in negotiating with Ukraine in good faith and that Russia’s maximalist objectives in Ukraine – which are tantamount to full Ukrainian and Western surrender – remain unchanged."
https://bcfausa.org/uncategorized/institute-for-the-study-of-war-putin-calls-again-for-overthrow-of-ukrainian-government/

Also how do you negotiate with leaders such as Medvedev who will never accept the legitimacy of Ukraine as a state?
Medvedev's statement further warns that no external force can protect Ukraine from the possibility of a new war. Regardless of agreements signed with the West, Medvedev asserts a one-hundred-percent likelihood of future conflict.
https://daryo.uz/en/2024/01/20/no-matter-who-is-at-the-helm-of-the-cancer-known-as-ukraine-it-will-have-no-legitimacy-or-legal-standing-medvedev-warns
Gold: 32,512.50
Mar 11 2024 02:12pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Mar 11 2024 07:45pm)
This is an appeal to emotion.

We could mandate permanent full employment by paying people to do jumping jacks, and then reject outright any proposed reduction to said employment scheme by pointing out that any cut will necessarily impact millions of jobs. Would this be good policy? I think you already know the answer.

100% agree. But those 4 million people being employed has a positive effect. That was the entire point.
I'd be interested in hearing your plan to dismantle the MIC.
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2024 07:29pm)
This has been explained ad-nauseum in this thread, several times. The comparisons aren't the same, because Ukraine and Russia have common roots. Customs, culture, language, and so on. That's why the Kievan-Rus was a thing over a millennia ago. Russia does not share that same type of commonality with the fins of with the Baltics. So there's a special relationship/kinship between Russia/Ukraine vs Russian and Fins/Baltics.

Talking to you is actually kind of pointless though. Because arguments like these to you are like water off a ducks back. We can explain a million times why Ukraine or Belarus is significantly different than Finland or Estonia from POV of Russia and 2 weeks later you'll ask the same question. Tiring mate.

Thats exactly what I wanted clarified. Nobody has ever approached that explanation to my knowledge in this thread, at least to me.
So your saying because Russians and Ukrainians have a special kinship, that is the justification/explanation for Russia to invade Ukraine.

Btw you made the clarification I was asking for then chose to also attack me? No need to lower the bar. There is some actual discussion happening for once.

Its true really and it backs up my own understanding of why Putin chose to invade. Its not about the threat of NATO. Its about the threat of ethnically/culturally similar Ukrainians being part of the Western sphere and what that could mean for a dictator of Russian people.
Russian people aren't stupid. They would notice pretty quickly that being in the EU, NATO, West, Democracy use whatever scope you like. Will bring a broadly better quality of life.

Being able to go, hey that Russian speaking Ukrainian across the Dnipro is just like me. Why am I still shitting outside?

Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 06:34pm)
jeez, i already clarified.

Ukraine was Russians back garden, they didnt want needles and weeds in their back garden, nevermind nuclear weapons, i hope this is clear, i have repeatedly said this today and over the last 12 months.

They have nukes in their front garden already, whats the difference?

Ofthevoid answered what I asked you five times. Without an analogy.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 11 2024 02:15pm
Gold: 175,091.69
Mar 11 2024 02:24pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 08:19pm)
Finland is in NATO, Finland is closer to Russias main cities. Why is Ukraine different? Genuine question, what is the justification as to why NATO Ukraine is different to NATO in Finland or even the Baltics?
5 years is optimistic. Even after any armistice Russia will be dealing with a massive and well armed insurgency for decades, not years.
Crimea will become a very expensive crown of thorns.

I actually don't know what to call it, it doesn't make sense and certainly is not convincing or backing up your position.
Can't you explain your position in literal terms?

What is different about Ukraine then? Because its clearly not the distance of nuclear weapons from major Russian cities.

1. baltics are tiny nations and joined nato when russia was still very weak and world order was unipolar. I doubt russia would´ve let them join nato if it was 2020 (esp lativa)
2. finland & ukraine have very different historical relevance to russia. The finish population have very little to do with russia, a fair comparison would be west ukraine (lvov etc), i dont think russia cares if they fall into european sphere. Furthermore, finland is tiny and insignificant compared to ukraine.
3. There won´t be a serious insurgency, russia isn´t interested in west ukraine. West people fetishize their experiences with insurgencies of iraq/afgh (and to an extent vietnam) too much, ukranian conflict is quite different. The avg ukranian or even russian in tokmak just wants peace, russian or ukranian is secondary.

This post was edited by ownyaah on Mar 11 2024 02:33pm
Gold: 20,065.00
Mar 11 2024 02:25pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 04:12pm)
100% agree. But those 4 million people being employed has a positive effect. That was the entire point.
I'd be interested in hearing your plan to dismantle the MIC.

Thats exactly what I wanted clarified. Nobody has ever approached that explanation to my knowledge in this thread, at least to me.
So your saying because Russians and Ukrainians have a special kinship, that is the justification/explanation for Russia to invade Ukraine.

Btw you made the clarification I was asking for then chose to also attack me? No need to lower the bar. There is some actual discussion happening for once.

Its true really and it backs up my own understanding of why Putin chose to invade. Its not about the threat of NATO. Its about the threat of ethnically/culturally similar Ukrainians being part of the Western sphere and what that could mean for a dictator of Russian people.
Russian people aren't stupid. They would notice pretty quickly that being in the EU, NATO, West, Democracy use whatever scope you like. Will bring a broadly better quality of life.

Being able to go, hey that Russian speaking Ukrainian across the Dnipro is just like me. Why am I still shitting outside?

No, what I'm saying is Ukraine was a red line because of this kinship. Smart people at NATO or in Washington weren't stupid and always knew how much Ukraine means to Russia and they still went ahead with a color revolution and now are supplying tens of billions to rip out Ukraine from Russia's sphere. They enflamed the situation in 2008 when it was announced intentions of folding Ukraine and Georgia into NATO way before any war in the Donbass. It would be the equivalent of some hostile power to the UK, supplying Ireland with weapons and pushing them towards war with the UK, funding anti-UK NGO's, buying politicians, etc, it would be unacceptable from UK's POV.

That's why in large part we are responsible for this war, because we upset that status quo fully knowing that it was a red line. And we now have the gall to spam "Russia's unprovoked war on Ukraine" across all the MSM on a daily basis for the daily revisionist programming of western audiences.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Mar 11 2024 02:25pm
Gold: 32,512.50
Mar 11 2024 02:33pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 11 2024 08:25pm)
No, what I'm saying is Ukraine was a red line because of this kinship. Smart people at NATO or in Washington weren't stupid and always knew how much Ukraine means to Russia and they still went ahead with a color revolution and now are supplying tens of billions to rip out Ukraine from Russia's sphere. They enflamed the situation in 2008 when it was announced intentions of folding Ukraine and Georgia into NATO way before any war in the Donbass. It would be the equivalent of some hostile power to the UK, supplying Ireland with weapons and pushing them towards war with the UK, funding anti-UK NGO's, buying politicians, etc, it would be unacceptable from UK's POV.

That's why in large part we are responsible for this war, because we upset that status quo fully knowing that it was a red line. And we now have the gall to spam "Russia's unprovoked war on Ukraine" across all the MSM on a daily basis for the daily revisionist programming of western audiences.

Understand most of your position and respectfully disagree with most of it.

So why was Ukraine a redline because of kinship?

Quote (ownyaah @ Mar 11 2024 08:24pm)
1. baltics are tiny nations and joined nato when russia was still very weak and world order was unipolar. I doubt russia would´ve let them join nato if it was 2020 (esp lativa)
2. finland & ukraine have very different historical relevance to russia. The finish population have very little to do with russia, a fair comparison would be west ukraine (lvov etc), i dont think russia cares if they fall into european sphere. Furthermore, finland is tiny and insignificant compared to ukraine.
3. There won´t be a serious insurgency, russia isn´t interested in west ukraine. West people fetishize their experiences with insurgencies of iraq/afgh (and to an extent vietnam) too much, ukranian conflict is quite different. The avg ukranian or even russian in tokmak just wants peace, russian or ukranian is secondary.

Thanks for your answer.
You don't foresee any insurgency in eastern Ukraine? You actually believe that?

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 11 2024 02:34pm
Gold: 11.11
Mar 11 2024 03:02pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 02:30pm)
Can you answer why you disagree about the nuclear weapons justification for invading specifically? I've asked about 4 times for you to clarify.

Far missles=good
Close missles= bad

And it's not just muh nukes that putin perceived as a threat; it's also the obvious sigint that goes with javing American spooks in your backyard. Maybe putin didn't like the idea of undetectable f35s with first strike capabilities flying willy-nilly danger close.

Also no one's afraid of the royal navy and ancient diesel engines
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1406040614062406340644518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll