d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1405940604061406240634518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,914.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2024 12:34pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 06:30pm)
Can you answer why you disagree about the nuclear weapons justification for invading specifically? I've asked about 4 times for you to clarify.

jeez, i already clarified.

Ukraine was Russians back garden, they didnt want needles and weeds in their back garden, nevermind nuclear weapons, i hope this is clear, i have repeatedly said this today and over the last 12 months.
Gold: 166,368.82
Mar 11 2024 12:37pm
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 07:27pm)
Perhaps you should review the historic postings in this thread on this matter.

I'm digesting as much as I can, take this one for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics_in_Ukraine

During Ukraine's post-Soviet history, the far-right has remained on the political periphery and been largely excluded from national politics since independence in 1991.[1][2] Unlike most Eastern European countries which saw far-right groups become permanent fixtures in their countries' politics during the decline and the Dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, the national electoral support for far-right parties in Ukraine only rarely exceeded 3% of the popular vote.[3] Far-right parties usually enjoyed just a few wins in single-mandate districts, and no far right candidate for president has ever secured more than 5 percent of the popular vote in an election.[3] Only once in the 1994–2014 period was a radical right-wing party elected to the parliament as an independent organization within the proportional part of the voting: Svoboda in 2012.[3] Since then far-right parties have failed to gain enough votes to attain political representation, even at the height of nationalist sentiment during and after Russia's annexation of Crimea and the Russo-Ukrainian War.[3]

The far-right was heavily represented among the pro-Russian separatistswith several past or current leaders of the republics of Donetsk and Luhansk linked to various neo-Nazi, white supremacist and ultra-nationalist groups. The importance of the far-right on both sides of the conflict declined over time. In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election, the coalition of Svoboda and the other extreme-right political parties in Ukraine―National Corps, the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, and the Right Sector―won only 2.15% of the vote combined and failed to pass the 5% threshold. As a result, no party was able to win a proportional seat.[4][5] One party – the Svoboda party – was able to secure a single constituency seat.
Gold: 32,512.50
Mar 11 2024 12:39pm
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 06:34pm)
jeez, i already clarified.

Ukraine was Russians back garden, they didnt want needles and weeds in their back garden, nevermind nuclear weapons, i hope this is clear, i have repeatedly said this today and over the last 12 months.

Oh that weird analogy was your answer? Damn went well over my head then.

Ok so,

You do realise the distance from Latvia to Moscow is almost identical as Kiev to Moscow?
You do realise Helsinki to St Petersburg is less than half that distance?
You do know Russia can have nukes stationed in Kaliningrad? That is less than 400km from Warsaw.

What is different about Ukraine then? Because its clearly not the distance of nuclear weapons from major Russian cities.
Gold: 175,091.69
Mar 11 2024 12:56pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 07:39pm)

Ok so,

You do realise the distance from Latvia to Moscow is almost identical as Kiev to Moscow?
You do know Russia can have nukes stationed in Kaliningrad? That is less than 400km from Warsaw.

What is different about Ukraine then? Because its clearly not the distance of nuclear weapons from major Russian cities.

Russia will let nato troops into ukraine when US allows chinese troops into canada.

Either a peace treaty is signed by ukraine, or war keeps going on 5+ more years.

This post was edited by ownyaah on Mar 11 2024 12:57pm
Mar 11 2024 12:57pm
Quote (Gala @ Mar 11 2024 06:37pm)
I'm digesting as much as I can, take this one for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far-right_politics_in_Ukraine

During Ukraine's post-Soviet history, the far-right has remained on the political periphery and been largely excluded from national politics since independence in 1991.[1][2] Unlike most Eastern European countries which saw far-right groups become permanent fixtures in their countries' politics during the decline and the Dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, the national electoral support for far-right parties in Ukraine only rarely exceeded 3% of the popular vote.[3] Far-right parties usually enjoyed just a few wins in single-mandate districts, and no far right candidate for president has ever secured more than 5 percent of the popular vote in an election.[3] Only once in the 1994–2014 period was a radical right-wing party elected to the parliament as an independent organization within the proportional part of the voting: Svoboda in 2012.[3] Since then far-right parties have failed to gain enough votes to attain political representation, even at the height of nationalist sentiment during and after Russia's annexation of Crimea and the Russo-Ukrainian War.[3]

The far-right was heavily represented among the pro-Russian separatistswith several past or current leaders of the republics of Donetsk and Luhansk linked to various neo-Nazi, white supremacist and ultra-nationalist groups. The importance of the far-right on both sides of the conflict declined over time. In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election, the coalition of Svoboda and the other extreme-right political parties in Ukraine―National Corps, the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, and the Right Sector―won only 2.15% of the vote combined and failed to pass the 5% threshold. As a result, no party was able to win a proportional seat.[4][5] One party – the Svoboda party – was able to secure a single constituency seat.

I regret to say this but that wiki is bullshit. In times of national crisis it is normal for nationalism, and ultra nationalism, to take root/grow. Zelensky was unable to appease the ultra nationalists which forced some national policies, he was as you will hopefully know, elected on a mandate of reconciliation with Russia.

On the flip side, most of the ultra nationalist men were involved in the war, and are now dead.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2024 01:00pm
Mar 11 2024 01:01pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 06:39pm)

Ok so,

if you are betrayed by someone you dont know, you dont care. if you are betrayed by your wife, you are really really angry. this is another analogy.

I really dont mind if you call this irrational. as has been said it does not matter what you or I think its what does Putin think.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2024 01:02pm
Gold: 32,512.50
Mar 11 2024 01:19pm
Quote (ownyaah @ Mar 11 2024 06:56pm)
Russia will let nato troops into ukraine when US allows chinese troops into canada.

Either a peace treaty is signed by ukraine, or war keeps going on 5+ more years.

Finland is in NATO, Finland is closer to Russias main cities. Why is Ukraine different? Genuine question, what is the justification as to why NATO Ukraine is different to NATO in Finland or even the Baltics?
5 years is optimistic. Even after any armistice Russia will be dealing with a massive and well armed insurgency for decades, not years.
Crimea will become a very expensive crown of thorns.

Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 07:01pm)
if you are betrayed by someone you dont know, you dont care. if you are betrayed by your wife, you are really really angry. this is another analogy.

I really dont mind if you call this irrational. as has been said it does not matter what you or I think its what does Putin think.

I actually don't know what to call it, it doesn't make sense and certainly is not convincing or backing up your position.
Can't you explain your position in literal terms?

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 11 2024 01:19pm
Gold: 4.91
Gold: 20,065.00
Mar 11 2024 01:29pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 03:19pm)
Finland is in NATO, Finland is closer to Russias main cities. Why is Ukraine different? Genuine question, what is the justification as to why NATO Ukraine is different to NATO in Finland or even the Baltics?
5 years is optimistic. Even after any armistice Russia will be dealing with a massive and well armed insurgency for decades, not years.
Crimea will become a very expensive crown of thorns.

I actually don't know what to call it, it doesn't make sense and certainly is not convincing or backing up your position.
Can't you explain your position in literal terms?

This has been explained ad-nauseum in this thread, several times. The comparisons aren't the same, because Ukraine and Russia have common roots. Customs, culture, language, and so on. That's why the Kievan-Rus was a thing over a millennia ago. Russia does not share that same type of commonality with the fins of with the Baltics. So there's a special relationship/kinship between Russia/Ukraine vs Russian and Fins/Baltics.

Talking to you is actually kind of pointless though. Because arguments like these to you are like water off a ducks back. We can explain a million times why Ukraine or Belarus is significantly different than Finland or Estonia from POV of Russia and 2 weeks later you'll ask the same question. Tiring mate.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Mar 11 2024 01:31pm
Gold: 166,368.82
Mar 11 2024 01:34pm
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 07:57pm)
I regret to say this but that wiki is bullshit.

Fortunately Wikipedia is based on hyperlinks so you can check the credibility of the sources. Most of the information of the cited source stems from "The Oxford Handbook of the Radical Right (Ed. Jens Rydgren). Oxford University Press, 2018"
The only thing that I can criticize about it is that it's only one source.

Once again I don't deny the presence of ultra-nationalism in Ukraine, that said it is present in Russia and in the Russian occupied regions as well.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1405940604061406240634518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll