d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1404240434044404540464519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 11 2024 01:23am

A young British man who took his own life after fighting in Ukraine went to the country after Liz Truss, the former prime minister, claimed anyone who did so would be joining a “battle for democracy”, his family said.

Harry Gregg was 23 and had no formal military training other than a spell in the Army Cadets when he decided to fly to the country after it was invaded by Russia in 2022.

He ended up fighting in the trenches, where he witnessed the deaths of fellow soldiers and reported seeing the aftermath of Russian atrocities against civilians.

He was found hanged after returning to his home in Thetford, Norfolk, the day after his 25th birthday.

Speaking after his inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court last week, his family said his decision to go to Ukraine came afterthe former prime minister, who was his local MP and foreign secretary at the time, said she “absolutely” supported any Britons who wanted to travel to fight the Russians, arguing they would be joining a battle “for democracy”.

Conservative colleagues criticised her, saying it would be reckless and illegal to go and fight, and Downing Street distanced itself from her remarks.

His mother, Sandi Gregg, described how he made up his mind to go, despite his only military experience being six years in the Army Cadets.

She said: “He told me ‘Mum, they need us.’

“He said to me, ‘I have done some bad things, so I want to give back to society’.

“Harry felt that he was needed and that he could help them. He contacted the [Ukrainian] embassy and found out what he needed to do. Within days, he’d booked himself on a flight and off he went.”

Ms Gregg recounted how, when he first landed in a neighbouring country, he missed his bus to the Ukrainian border so he had to get a taxi.

With the help of aid workers, he eventually made it to the front line and joined a training camp.

The camp was later bombed by the Russians. Mr Gregg was not hurt, but a friend suffered a serious injury.

During his third visit to the country, that he found himself fighting with the Ukrainian armed forces, where he was nicknamed “Eagle” by his comrades and assigned to the 48th Battalion.

His mother said that as he and a fellow soldier were being shot at in the trenches, his comrade told him to keep his head down, but 10 minutes later his friend was shot in the head and Harry had to put him in a body bag.

She described how, once back in Britain, he had PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and his family “weren’t able to get him the help he needed”.

On December 14, he had been due to go go-karting and clubbing with friends as a birthday treat, but they had been unable to contact him.

The next day, after still not hearing from him, they asked for a welfare check to be carried out.

His body was seen through the letterbox of the front door and paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Recording a narrative conclusion, Samantha Goward, area coroner for Norfolk, said he had hanged himself, but his intent was unknown.

In a tribute, his mother said he had a personality that “filled the room” and that he was “loved by many people”.

She added: “He was very loving, caring. If he valued you and loved you, he would give you his last penny.

“He went to Ukraine because he knew people needed help.”

This post was edited by Goomshill on Mar 11 2024 01:23am
Gold: 32,512.50
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2024 01:37am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 11 2024 07:12am)
Once the Ukraine war wraps up, where do you think we should provoke war next so we can keep them employed? We could arm both the Armenians and the Azerbaijanis and let them kill each other. Have Joe give Xi the green light to invade Taiwan like he gave to Putin in Ukraine

Just fire them now. That is what is being argued as more beneficial to Americans, right?

Lol crazy misunderstanding of what a deterent actually is and does.

Not supporting allies will lead to more war, period.
They tried isolationism and they tried appeasement.

Being ignorant of history and kicking the can down the road into another world war is not a strategy I would get behind personally

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 11 2024 01:44am
Gold: 100,701.50
Mar 11 2024 01:39am
Quote (Gala @ Mar 10 2024 11:52pm)
Even if you don't like reading, there are some pictures to consume as well.
The British Army Review has published a special issue on the Ukrainian defence of the Irpin in the early weeks of the war.

issuu.com/chacr_camberley/docs/wip_-_bar_special?fr=xKAE9_zU1NQ

the first link doesn't seem to be imbedded so you can also use this one
https://issuu.com/chacr_camberley/docs/wip_-_bar_special

The Ukrainian government has responded angrily and vowed never to surrender after Pope Francis said the country should have “the courage to raise the white flag” and negotiate an end to the war with Russia.

“Our flag is a yellow and blue one. This is the flag by which we live, die, and prevail. We shall never raise any other flags,” Ukraine’s foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, said on social media on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/10/pope-francis-criticised-for-saying-ukraine-should-raise-white-flag-and-end-war-with-russia

wb

I responded to your post where you asked for Ukrainian nazi sources and I provided a bunch but you forgot to respond
Gold: 13.37
Mar 11 2024 01:48am
Do any of His Majesty’s subjects wish to replace a fallen comrade in the struggle for democracy?
Gold: 1,107.20
Mar 11 2024 02:03am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 11 2024 08:23am)
She described how, once back in Britain, he had PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and his family “weren’t able to get him the help he needed”.

Im sure this sentiment is shared by the people living on the border of Mongolia, Kazakhstan etc. People die in war but atleast this brit decided to go get PTSD on his own and people took note of his death. The same can not be said for the human bodies forcibly sent by Putin from border territories who either never came back or came back and suffered the same fate as the brit.

Edit: Got the wrong quote copied, my b.

This post was edited by Hobbiks on Mar 11 2024 02:03am
Gold: 7,914.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2024 02:07am
Quote (Norlander @ Mar 11 2024 07:48am)
Do any of His Majesty’s subjects wish to replace a fallen comrade in the struggle for democracy?

afaik the Germans outlined over the weekend that United Kingdom troops are already on the ground in Ukraine.

https://news.sky.com/story/german-ambassador-refuses-to-apologise-for-leaked-call-revealing-british-troops-in-ukraine-13088416

this is a bit like the "Russia said they would not invade but they invaded" moment. I mean we all know the US and the UK have troops in Ukraine, and only people not knowledgeable about the issue would have assumed Russia was not going to invade.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2024 02:08am
Gold: 1,107.20
Mar 11 2024 02:09am
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2024 09:07am)
afaik the Germans outlined over the weekend that United Kingdom troops are already on the ground in Ukraine.

https://news.sky.com/story/german-ambassador-refuses-to-apologise-for-leaked-call-revealing-british-troops-in-ukraine-13088416

this is a bit like the "Russia said they would not invade but they invaded" moment. I mean we all know the US and the UK have troops in Ukraine

Just out of curiosity, would you like it to be another way? Would you like to see a ban on foreign fighters or mercenarys in wars?
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 11 2024 02:24am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 11 2024 02:37am)
Just fire them now. That is what is being argued as more beneficial to Americans, right?

Lol crazy misunderstanding of what a deterent actually is and does.

Not supporting allies will lead to more war, period.
They tried isolationism and they tried appeasement.

Being ignorant of history and kicking the can down the road into another world war is not a strategy I would get behind personally

Or thats the argument the warmongers make when they want their forever conflicts. Can't let the terrorists win!
I feel this is a good time to repeat my musing on whether american soldiers have already been killed when russia took out patriot systems.
Gold: 13.37
Mar 11 2024 02:29am
Quote (Goomshill @ 11 Mar 2024 11:24)
Or thats the argument the warmongers make when they want their forever conflicts. Can't let the terrorists win!
I feel this is a good time to repeat my musing on whether american soldiers have already been killed when russia took out patriot systems.

USA is not the only operator of the Patriot system, especially the oldest one. I'd say that legendary steak was Kosher.
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 11 2024 02:45am
Quote (DizzyBusiness @ 11 Mar 2024 00:18)

Jingoistic grunt thinks his own side's weapons are great and the opponent's are garbage - what a "surprise".
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1404240434044404540464519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll