d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1403040314032403340344519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,011.77
Mar 9 2024 07:39am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 8 2024 06:52pm)
Don't need to burn entrails and scry the bones to figure out what's going on in Putin's mind when he talks about it openly in every speech and interview.
Russia responded to America seizing control of its sphere of influence right up to its back yard, which would remove its last NATO buffer state, lose its black sea port, lose access to critical food and natural gas and oil and mineral resources and the manufacturing of east ukraine and set a precedent for America wresting away Russia's sphere of influence by color revolutions. It couldn't be more obvious that Russia was absolutely not going to tolerate that and was forced to respond, at a minimum by seizing control of Crimea that hosts its naval port. Seriously this is like asking why the US stationing first strike jupiter missiles in Turkey led to a standoff with the USSR, they had to respond, we made it into an existential threat.

If the point is simply strategic interest why did Putin feel the need to lecture Tucker Carlson about hundreds of years of Russian history? Is that propaganda to justify the real motive? Tucker(and his audience) are prime targets for NATO expansion bullshit talking points.

Seems to me it's the other way around. Putin and his minions use the NATO talking point for propaganda(which appeals to anti-Western Westerners like yourself and Djunior), while Putin's true motive has more to do with his conception of what Russia is and should be as a great power.

This post was edited by IceMage on Mar 9 2024 07:42am
Gold: 100,701.50
Mar 9 2024 08:35am
Quote (Gala @ Mar 9 2024 02:27pm)
To begin my statement I like to discuss on a mutual level and we still, for the most part, having a civilized argument, so I’ll appreciate that.
While I do realize that some of the things that are being written do require research on my behalf, I’m concerned with some of the narratives which are spread here.
I’m not here to change your mind of force anything upon you. I was just giving you links to see for your self and then you can work that in, put that against another theory.
But you stand with what you think which I ask you to provide evident sources. The only thing I get is your personal view and you don’t allow anything else. That’s fine but I can’t believe some of the things that you are writing about as long as you are not able to provide valid sources for your claims.

Nobody seems to be caring about that Russians are bombing Ukrainians on a daily basis. The only thing that I read is how concerned you are with Ukranian Azos nazis.
And simultaneously you are shying away from revealing your source. Are you afraid of something?
I want to see your bigger picture. I ask for sources that’s the only thing. Stop making claims, provide sources.

Your walls of text are becoming unbearable and require an effort to even respond to this so I cut to the relevant bits.

You want sources of far right ultra nationalists in Ukraine right. Have you heard of Stepan Bandera? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

Check that source and let it sink in. A striking quote from that source:

In 2018, the Ukrainian Parliament voted to include Bandera's 110th birthday, on 1 January 2019, in a list of memorable dates and anniversaries to be celebrated that year.[185][186][187] The decision was criticized by the Jewish organization Simon Wiesenthal Center.[188]

And this https://www.wiesenthal.com/about/news/wiesenthal-center-harshly-4.html

The Simon Wiesenthal Center today harshly criticized the recent decision by the Ukrainian Parliament to designate January 1st, the birthday of Ukrainian wartime collaborator Stepan Bandera (pictured) as a national holiday.

Here you see Ukraine's (former) top general Zaluzhny posing in his office, notice the Bandera busts and portrait

Statue of Bandera, notice the red/black flags, yes?

Euromaidan, notice the red and black flags?

You could've found out about this a long time ago, Western media were all reporting on this and stating that far right ultra nationalists in Ukraine were a big problem. The US even signed a law that prohibited arming neo-nazi groups in Ukraine https://khanna.house.gov/media/in-the-news/congress-bans-arms-ukraine-militia-linked-neo-nazis

Here's a selection of Western media reporting on the Ukrainian nazi problem on You Tube

Check these links, can only embed 1 video
BBC - Ukraine: On patrol with the far-right National Militia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6b4ao8gAQ
Time - Inside A White Supremacist Militia in Ukraine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy910FG46C4
The Guardian - Ukraine's far-right children's camp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBXmbkwiSw
AP - Ukraine far right groups stage anti-govt march https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Xr57IcTxI

This is just a small selection, if you take the time to ask google about this you find an abundance of vids and articles

About the sources I posted previously, the message of high ranking Western officials at Maidan is clear. They literally say they support the protesters. For Russia it's crystal clear what's happening (Ukraine's legitimate president overthrown by Western backed protesters) and that this is a huge provocation to which they might react. Nothing you said changes that.

Gold: 7,914.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 9 2024 08:48am
cant remember if we posted this

Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 9 2024 08:58am
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 9 2024 07:39am)
If the point is simply strategic interest why did Putin feel the need to lecture Tucker Carlson about hundreds of years of Russian history? Is that propaganda to justify the real motive? Tucker(and his audience) are prime targets for NATO expansion bullshit talking points.

Seems to me it's the other way around. Putin and his minions use the NATO talking point for propaganda(which appeals to anti-Western Westerners like yourself and Djunior), while Putin's true motive has more to do with his conception of what Russia is and should be as a great power.

Whether you frame it as neoimperialist irridentism or justifiable defensive reaction, what functional difference does it make to the proximate cause of this war? That just had a bearing on how far you think Putin's ambitions might extend past Ukraine. As to why this war began, its clearly a response to NATO barging into his back yard via a color revolution, threatening Russian access to strategic resources, the black sea and a buffer state. They were at peace with the status quo until we buggered it, they never lifted a finger to build an empire in ukraine until we tried to snatch it. And that does say something about imperialist ambitions.

I'll tell you one thing I agree with the neoliberals on: Losing the war in Ukraine is indeed likely to embolden Putin to seize more territory, at a minimum transnistria, possibly looking deeper into the baltics. The difference is I said we shouldn't pick a losing fight in the first place and shouldn't double down on losing it harder. Now we've got childhood sex abuse victim Macron wanting to start WW3.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Mar 9 2024 09:04am
Gold: 100,701.50
Mar 9 2024 09:38am
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 9 2024 03:48pm)
cant remember if we posted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8J13OdXjz8

Yes I posted it

The timing of this is interesting considering she's one of the "project Ukraine" architects and Ukraine is in dire straits rn
Gold: 32,512.50
Mar 9 2024 09:56am
Mar 9 2024 10:00am
Very comprehensive view and primarily opposed view to Mearsheimers theory of realism, a large part of Putins justification for the invasion.
Not only debunks that justification, again, but also rebukes the threadbare excuse that Putin sought to negotiate in good faith prior to February 2022.
As if tanks rolling upto the border left any room to negotiate in good faith anyway.

Mar 9 2024 10:13am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 9 2024 10:00am)
Very comprehensive view and primarily opposed view to Mearsheimers theory of realism, a large part of Putins justification for the invasion.
Not only debunks that justification, again, but also rebukes the threadbare excuse that Putin sought to negotiate in good faith prior to February 2022.
As if tanks rolling upto the border left any room to negotiate in good faith anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUUkM8xlElQ

Again the misunderstanding of Mearsheimer is that he's attempting to excuse or justify, when he's attempting to explain. BoJo's peace deal scuttling and the negotiations are all pretty irrelevant, the casus belli was NATO expansion into Ukraine via color revolution in the first place. They can talk all they want about the 90s era guarantees or trade accusations of bad faith at the Kiev negotations, it doesn't change the simple cause and effect: The Maidan upset the balance of power and Russia acted to seize it back.
The advantage to people who explain is that they can predict what's going to happen in the future, as opposed to people who try to justify or rationalize, who can predict what they want to have happen in the future. Its why Mearsheimer said Russia would invade when nobody believed him.
Mar 9 2024 10:15am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 9 2024 04:13pm)
Again the misunderstanding of Mearsheimer is that he's attempting to excuse or justify, when he's attempting to explain. BoJo's peace deal scuttling and the negotiations are all pretty irrelevant, the casus belli was NATO expansion into Ukraine via color revolution in the first place. They can talk all they want about the 90s era guarantees or trade accusations of bad faith at the Kiev negotations, it doesn't change the simple cause and effect: The Maidan upset the balance of power and Russia acted to seize it back.
The advantage to people who explain is that they can predict what's going to happen in the future, as opposed to people who try to justify or rationalize, who can predict what they want to have happen in the future. Its why Mearsheimer said Russia would invade when nobody believed him.

Oh no Mearsheimer is not justifying anything but Putin has been trying to; And the implication is that NATO expansion was a threat to Russia, which has debunked now on multiple levels.

I think people hold Mearsheimer on a pedestal because his theories resonate with them and explain actions that they wish to consider justified.
Ironically many of the same people deride the US or its allies for acting in their own self interest while maintaining Russia's actions are totally justified because offensive realism is accurate.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 9 2024 10:19am
Mar 9 2024 10:18am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 9 2024 10:15am)
Oh no Mearsheimer is not justifying anything but Putin has been trying to; And the implication is that NATO expansion was a threat to Russia, which has debunked now on multiple levels.

Debunked? Macron is talking about sending NATO troops to kill Russian soldiers, NATO missiles are striking cities inside Russia.
NATO reached its hand inside Russia's trousers and stuck a thumb up its butthole before Putin straightened up, NATO expansion wasn't threatening Russia with a color revolution, it was already wounding Russia, the blow was already dealt.
We're not talking about a preemptive war on a hypothetical justification
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1403040314032403340344519Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll