d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1397639773978397939804521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,061.70
Feb 25 2024 12:40am
Quote (Goomshill @ 24 Feb 2024 23:12)
The Syrian War proved beyond any doubt that Putin was acutely aware of the geopolitical risk of absorbing a poor, radicalized and unproductive population and weaponized it against the EU. It was a conscious move on his part to turn a hose of migrants against Europe to weaken the union, and look how it worked. Maybe Russia was willing to seize western Ukraine if it could be annexed without much of a fight like the blitzkrieg showed, but that might have more to do with a willingness to put up with the west as opposed to the cost of the prolonged war he knew would come otherwise. Now that it has come to pass, why would Putin want to take west Ukraine? He wants what's east of the Dnipro, he could even covet Odessa as a strategic port, but the rest of the country is basically mudwading elbonians from dilbert.

This isn't necessarily disagreeing with you. Putin already has population centers in the east, those who are ethnic Russians and absorbed freely into the motherland. He won't need to spend decades subjugating a bunch of hostile western Ukrainians in their population centers. And he wants the Donbas farmlands, not just to support the DPR/LPR/Crimea but for their long term strategic importance as a natural resource. So while Putin absolutely does want to force concession from Kyiv to stave off NATO and secure his border post-war, there's still plenty of concessions Putin would be willing to make simply on western Ukraine's leverage as a useless welfare state. I don't think Putin is going to see it as a war to capture Ukrainian women for his soldiers to claim as war wives, I think Putin is going to see it as slicing up Ukraine and taking the rich bounty for Russia and handing all the liability over to the EU and watching them squirm under the weight of yet another wave of net negative migration

Which of course is the same shit I've been saying since day one, this is just Syrian War 2.0 and its not even a chess match, its checkers

For sure, I don't think Russia really wants the headache of western Ukraine. Even war wives aren't very meaningful. Last I heard, Russia still has a deficit in their male population. Somewhere around 87 males for every 100 females. Russian women already have to compete to get a man. It's doubtful flooding more women in would be taken well by the women they already have.

Part of the Tucker interview was pretty interesting though, where Putin was talking about areas of Ukraine that historically belonged to not Ukraine, but were carved off from other nations, and are still ethnically of those nations. Dunno if that figures into anything, just, why would he bring it up if it wasn't a back burner subject?
Gold: 13.37
Feb 25 2024 12:52pm
The Spy War: How the C.I.A. Secretly Helps Ukraine Fight Putin

The listening post in the Ukrainian forest is part of a C.I.A.-supported network of spy bases constructed in the past eight years that includes 12 secret locations along the Russian border. Before the war, the Ukrainians proved themselves to the Americans by collecting intercepts that helped prove Russia’s involvement in the 2014 downing of a commercial jetliner, Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. The Ukrainians also helped the Americans go after the Russian operatives who meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Around 2016, the C.I.A. began training an elite Ukrainian commando force — known as Unit 2245 — which captured Russian drones and communications gear so that C.I.A. technicians could reverse-engineer them and crack Moscow’s encryption systems. (One officer in the unit was Kyrylo Budanov, now the general leading Ukraine’s military intelligence.)

And the C.I.A. also helped train a new generation of Ukrainian spies who operated inside Russia, across Europe, and in Cuba and other places where the Russians have a large presence.

/.../

Mr. Putin has long blamed Western intelligence agencies for manipulating Kyiv and sowing anti-Russia sentiment in Ukraine.

Toward the end of 2021, according to a senior European official, Mr. Putin was weighing whether to launch his full-scale invasion when he met with the head of one of Russia’s main spy services, who told him that the C.I.A., together with Britain’s MI6, were controlling Ukraine and turning it into a beachhead for operations against Moscow.

/.../

The C.I.A.’s partnership in Ukraine can be traced back to two phone calls on the night of Feb. 24, 2014, eight years to the day before Russia’s full-scale invasion

Source: New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/25/world/europe/the-spy-war-how-the-cia-secretly-helps-ukraine-fight-putin.html
Gold: 32,512.50
Warn: 10%
Feb 25 2024 01:12pm
The third year of a 3 day operation begins. Paper tiger.
Gold: 100,701.50
Feb 25 2024 01:48pm
LMAO

Gold: 13.37
Feb 25 2024 02:21pm
Some say the Devil is dead...

This post was edited by Norlander on Feb 25 2024 02:21pm
Gold: 3,691.00
Feb 25 2024 02:27pm
Quote (Norlander @ 25 Feb 2024 19:52)
The Spy War: How the C.I.A. Secretly Helps Ukraine Fight Putin

The listening post in the Ukrainian forest is part of a C.I.A.-supported network of spy bases constructed in the past eight years that includes 12 secret locations along the Russian border. Before the war, the Ukrainians proved themselves to the Americans by collecting intercepts that helped prove Russia’s involvement in the 2014 downing of a commercial jetliner, Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. The Ukrainians also helped the Americans go after the Russian operatives who meddled in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Around 2016, the C.I.A. began training an elite Ukrainian commando force — known as Unit 2245 — which captured Russian drones and communications gear so that C.I.A. technicians could reverse-engineer them and crack Moscow’s encryption systems. (One officer in the unit was Kyrylo Budanov, now the general leading Ukraine’s military intelligence.)

And the C.I.A. also helped train a new generation of Ukrainian spies who operated inside Russia, across Europe, and in Cuba and other places where the Russians have a large presence.

/.../

Mr. Putin has long blamed Western intelligence agencies for manipulating Kyiv and sowing anti-Russia sentiment in Ukraine.

Toward the end of 2021, according to a senior European official, Mr. Putin was weighing whether to launch his full-scale invasion when he met with the head of one of Russia’s main spy services, who told him that the C.I.A., together with Britain’s MI6, were controlling Ukraine and turning it into a beachhead for operations against Moscow.

/.../

The C.I.A.’s partnership in Ukraine can be traced back to two phone calls on the night of Feb. 24, 2014, eight years to the day before Russia’s full-scale invasion

Source: New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/25/world/europe/the-spy-war-how-the-cia-secretly-helps-ukraine-fight-putin.html

Why would NYT run this. I don’t understand.

CIA overthrow and deep penetration within UA has been Putins main talking point for years. Why confirm it?

This post was edited by Malopox on Feb 25 2024 02:36pm
Gold: 268.37
Feb 25 2024 02:41pm
Quote (Norlander @ Feb 25 2024 03:21pm)
Some say the Devil is dead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4OoPNY_YM

The larger issue to me, from the American point of view, is that "woke" army ads don't work. They don't drive higher recruitment, and DEI racism in the army is actively sabotaging recruitment from the army's historic recruitment base. In any case, universal conscription is the future.
Gold: 4,404.67
Feb 25 2024 05:33pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 25 Feb 2024 01:45)
Russia still needs to fight a costly war to gain a relatively meager amount of territory and resources. The main strategic vulnerability of the separatist regions is what, water supply?

Mostly Crimea, but since Russia controls the left bank of the Dnieper River, they can strangle Ukraine's economy by shutting transport along the river down any time Ukraine thinks about shutting down the North Crimean Canal again.

Putin is still paying a high price for the war now and faces the same questions about the cost vs reward of an operation much of the subordinate structure was drawn into somewhat unaware.

Putin isn't paying the price, the rubes and rabble which make up the rank and file of his military are. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, Russia was never really proactive about trying to impose its will on Ukraine in the first place.

When Putin's man in Kyiv, Viktor Yanukovich, was losing to the leader of the pro-Western opposition, Viktor Yushchenko, he literally had Yushchenko poisoned. And the pro-Russian side tried to steal the election via fraud, leading to the supreme court of the country ordering a revote which Yushchenko won, sparking the so-called Orange Revolution. Yanukovych then won the next election in 2010 because the other side had proven to be corrupt and inept. As soon as the pro-Western forces in the country wanted to formally align with the West (by signing the association agreement with the EU), Moscow interfered yet again and had their man Yanukovych veto it at the 11th hour, in direct contradiction of a promise he had made on the campaign trail for the 2010 election. When the ensuring outrage got out of control, Russian troops swiftly annexed Crimea and invaded the Donbass.

Long story short, Russia only seems to have given Ukraine a long leash as long as Ukraine didn't dare to exert its sovereignty and challenge its de facto vassal status.

Putin wasn't some hardcore irredentist trying to rebuild an empire

Putin had literally been talking since the 90s about restoring the empire that Russia had oh-so-tragically lost.

, the status quo ante was an independent Ukraine only loosely in their sphere of influence.

See above.

Russia could have tried to twist Ukraine at any point in the post cold war era, they didn't until the US tried to bring it into the west by force.

See above, they already did try to twist Ukraine back in 2004 when there was organic momentum on the pro-Western side. And let's not forget that a big chunk of the pro-Western sentiment and momentum in 2013 and 2014 was organic, too. Furthermore, during the 90s and early 2000s, Russia didn't refrain from pulling and twisting Ukraine out of the goodness of their hearts, they stood back because their own country was in shambles and lacked the power to assert itself. Since the mid-2000s (when a commodity price boom boosted their economy), Russia was acting in aggressive and imperialist fashion against its neighbors again, see also the Russo-Georgian War of 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Because its simply not worth it for Russia like its not worth it for us. The poorer half of the poorest country in Europe

We've already discussed this point a month ago:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=92094408&f=119&p=656354817

In any case, the claim that the Kyiv-controlled parts of Ukraine are categorically poorer than the Moscow-controlled parts is definitely untrue.

Hungry mouths to feed that would gladly suckle off the EU welfare state,

You could also phrase it as "Europe got a significant injection of fresh bodies against the backdrop of its crumbling demographic basis". It's mostly Germany where Ukrainian refugees have subpar rates of workforce participation, in the other European countries (like the Netherlands or Poland), they're actually working and contributing just fine. Still a net drain at this point in time, don't get me wrong, but if these people stay, it can be assumed that they will eventually hold their weight, just like the other Eastern European migrants to Western Europe did. Germany handing benefits and entitlements out like candy is a big problem in recent years, but not limited to Ukrainians at all.

In terms of education, socialization and so on and forth, Ukrainians cannot be compared to the types of migrant that Western Europe has been absorbing from the Middle East and Africa over the past decade. A Ukrainian lawyer will find a way to contribute in a Western economy, a goat herder from Eritrea never will. Likewise, even if the Ukrainian lawyer has to work lowly jobs in the West, the generation of her children will be reasonably integrated. Can't say the same about the offspring of Muslim and/or African migrants.

and it probably serves Russia's longterm geopolitical interests to freely give away everything west of the Dnipro even if they could seize it.

If that were true, then why did Russia try to capture all of Ukraine at the onset of this war? If their initial decapitation move toward Kyiv had succeeded, they would have been stuck with all the oh-so-poor regions of Western Ukraine and all the "hungry mouths to feed".

The point being, between the costs of attrition and the real lack of reward, Russia has some pretty thin margins to actually make real gains between now and any negotiations. Putin has already manuevered Russia into an advantageous position for peace talks, successfully fought an offensive and taken a good chunk of what he wants. There's still significant lands at risk, and western Ukraine could still try to sue for peace in hopes of retaining the Donbas farmlands, because if the lines continue to collapse that's precisely what Russia is going to seize in coming months or years at this rate. But at heavy cost to Russia. And thus it can be in both the west's interests and Russia's interests to end the war and let Ukraine retain some lands it would lose if the conflict continued.

Fair enough, that's a consistent line of reasoning. (Although I still think that Russia's observable actions contradict this logic, so I'm still inclined to believe in different premises. :bouncy: )

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Feb 25 2024 05:39pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Feb 25 2024 05:47pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 25 Feb 2024 07:12)
The Syrian War proved beyond any doubt that Putin was acutely aware of the geopolitical risk of absorbing a poor, radicalized and unproductive population and weaponized it against the EU. It was a conscious move on his part to turn a hose of migrants against Europe to weaken the union, and look how it worked.

Big disagree on the notion that it was a conscious, calculated move. If Merkel hadn't lost her fucking mind in 2015, this purported strategy would have backfired spectacularly on Putin. If Europe starts securing its borders with all necessary force at some point in late 2015 or even early 2016, Turkey will do the same on their southern border to Syria. Then, the bulk of the poor, radicalized, unproductive and anti-Assad population would have been stuck, destabilizing Syria even further and making it essentially impossible for Russia to secure the rule of their ally without committing vastly larger amounts of troops and resources.

So at best, the creation of the refugee stream out of Syria was a cynical and incredibly risky gamble from Putin's POV, betting the success of Russia's involvement in Syria on the weakness of one European leader, or perhaps a very small handful of them. No way was this a brilliant 4d-chess move.
Gold: 20,065.00
Feb 25 2024 06:07pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Feb 25 2024 06:47pm)
Big disagree on the notion that it was a conscious, calculated move. If Merkel hadn't lost her fucking mind in 2015, this purported strategy would have backfired spectacularly on Putin. If Europe starts securing its borders with all necessary force at some point in late 2015 or even early 2016, Turkey will do the same on their southern border to Syria. Then, the bulk of the poor, radicalized, unproductive and anti-Assad population would have been stuck, destabilizing Syria even further and making it essentially impossible for Russia to secure the rule of their ally without committing vastly larger amounts of troops and resources.

So at best, the creation of the refugee stream out of Syria was a cynical and incredibly risky gamble from Putin's POV, betting the success of Russia's involvement in Syria on the weakness of one European leader, or perhaps a very small handful of them. No way was this a brilliant 4d-chess move.

Too much is being placed on derivatives of what happened. At face value, Russia helped one of it's only and longest standing allies in the ME. Their primary objective was not to lose Assad, not lose the Tartus port. Basically preserving their influence. Having large swaths of Syrians migrants, puts more strain on EU, contributing to rise of populism helps Putin but lets not lose sight of why he actually supported Assad.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1397639773978397939804521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll