d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1394639473948394939504522Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
Feb 17 2024 04:07am
The way I figure it, murder is worse than torture is worse than rape. Society places too much emphasis on stigma over consequences, a pedophile raping a child isn't as bad as a serial killer cutting off her face and wearing it
All the pedophiles in the world combined could never rape as many children as the Nazis stuffed into ovens, and Nazis pose a more existential threat to the rest of society by their will to dominate on a global scale rather than an individual one
The individual pedophile might be more distasteful, but as a collective they don't organize politically or militarily. Even the most banal or charismatic or intellectual Nazis had enough blood on their hands to outweigh any amount of kiddy diddlers

Shit western culture has even come to debate whether criticizing the world's most famous and revered pedophile should be considered a hate crime and against the law in a few european countries for 'islamophobia' :rofl:

This post was edited by Goomshill on Feb 17 2024 04:09am
Gold: 1,107.20
Feb 17 2024 04:08am
Quote (Malopox @ Feb 17 2024 11:01am)
You are right about fallacious appeal, however be aware that committing logical fallacies is allowed to win debates. No one wins debates by pointing out fallacies, but by constructing a more convincing argument which may or may not include logical fallacies or fallacious appeals.

When it comes to Ritters persona - he should be viewed as a pro-Russian voice with a deep knowledge of US military and how they operate and his arguments and appeal should be judged as such. He also knows cultural norms of the west having grown up in the US and can make a more meaningful appeal to the western audience. Invalidating him as a source on an unrelated charge does not invalidate the argument he is making. Neither does that invalidate arguments pf Snowden or Assange due to treason charges brought against them. The information they brought to the table should be viewed on its own merit, separate from their personas.

Ritter has served his time for his misdemeanor and is a registered sex offender. I would not want him anywhere near my kids and I find him a bit boring to listen to, but that does not invalidate his military knowledge and arguments he can make through his experience .

The truth ultimately is somewhere between pro-US/pro-Russia sources and third-party sources not directly involved in the conflict discussed - like eg BRICS.

It's so strange to me that you think you are at liberty to give me a lecture on rhetorics when you yourself just a few minutes ago tried to get a gotcha moment with an appeal to fallacy. Mind boggling, either way that's not what im here for.

" Invalidating him as a source on an unrelated charge does not invalidate the argument he is making." - Nobody has done that. We have quite literally, in this thread, been discussing if Ritter is an expert at all (which he is not). He does not claim to be and he has no experience with eastern european politics. He has a monetary and vested interest in Russian affairs as he is a paid state actor. If you want to talk about Assange and Snowden i'll gladly do that (one was paid 10k per speech by the Russian state, and the other one refused to leak documents related to Russia), but in another thread.

" but that does not invalidate his military knowledge and arguments he can make through his experience ." - Nobody has done that. Ritter is probably great at identifying SCUD missiles for some superpower. He is however not an expert on eastern europe (and has never claimed to be) and he is being paid by one actor in this conflict, these are the facts about Ritter.
Gold: 13,470.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 17 2024 04:09am
Quote (Malopox @ Feb 17 2024 10:01am)
You are right about fallacious appeal, however be aware that committing logical fallacies is allowed to win debates. No one wins debates by pointing out fallacies, but by constructing a more convincing argument which may or may not include logical fallacies or fallacious appeals.

When it comes to Ritters persona - he should be viewed as a pro-Russian voice with a deep knowledge of US military and how they operate and his arguments and appeal should be judged as such. He also knows cultural norms of the west having grown up in the US and can make a more meaningful appeal to the western audience. Invalidating him as a source on an unrelated charge does not invalidate the argument he is making. Neither does that invalidate arguments pf Snowden or Assange due to treason charges brought against them. The information they brought to the table should be viewed on its own merit, separate from their personas.

Ritter has served his time for his misdemeanor and is a registered sex offender. I would not want him anywhere near my kids and I find him a bit boring to listen to, but that does not invalidate his military knowledge and arguments he can make through his experience .

The truth ultimately is somewhere between pro-US/pro-Russia sources and third-party sources not directly involved in the conflict discussed - like eg BRICS.

well said.

Quote (Goomshill @ Feb 17 2024 10:07am)
The way I figure it, murder is worse than torture is worse than rape. Society places too much emphasis on stigma over consequences, a pedophile raping a child isn't as bad as a serial killer cutting off her face and wearing it
All the pedophiles in the world combined could never rape as many children as the Nazis stuffed into ovens, and Nazis pose a more existential threat to the rest of society by their will to dominate on a global scale rather than an individual one
The individual pedophile might be more distasteful, but as a collective they don't organize politically or militarily. Even the most banal or charismatic or intellectual Nazis had enough blood on their hands to outweigh any amount of kiddy diddlers

this is quite nuanced.

Quote (Hobbiks @ Feb 17 2024 10:08am)
It's so strange to me that you think you are at liberty to give me a lecture on rhetorics when you yourself just a few minutes ago tried to get a gotcha moment with an appeal to fallacy. Mind boggling, either way that's not what im here for.

" Invalidating him as a source on an unrelated charge does not invalidate the argument he is making." - Nobody has done that. We have quite literally, in this thread, been discussing if Ritter is an expert at all (which he is not). He does not claim to be and he has no experience with eastern european politics. He has a monetary and vested interest in Russian affairs as he is a paid state actor. If you want to talk about Assange and Snowden i'll gladly do that (one was paid 10k per speech by the Russian state, and the other one refused to leak documents related to Russia), but in another thread.

" but that does not invalidate his military knowledge and arguments he can make through his experience ." - Nobody has done that. Ritter is probably great at identifying SCUD missiles for some superpower. He is however not an expert on eastern europe (and has never claimed to be) and he is being paid by one actor in this conflict, these are the facts about Ritter.

for your statement to hold water you should have left out the pedo part. instead you included it, to support your claim that his insights are meaningless / worthless. you are doubling down when you are the one that brought this slur to the table. a better response would have been to simply provide a better source. if you provide a better source (video / link) I will be the first to say well done.

This post was edited by ferdia on Feb 17 2024 04:13am
Feb 17 2024 04:13am
Quote (Djunior @ Feb 17 2024 11:06am)
So he's still a US state actor because he worked for the US govt in the past. That he no longer works for the US govt and in fact highly critical doesn't count. Got it

He's now also paid by the Kremlin so perhaps a Russian state actor as well, right?

Double state actor :rofl:

Nobody has said he is a state actor. I used the word "was" which is past tense. Maybe you just need to read what i wrote again so you can actually understand it?

Do you agree that Scott Ritter, the same person you claim is not a shill, was in fact quite literally employed by the US government?

Yes, Ritter is a Russian state actor and was a US state actor. It's pretty common that grifters do this type of thing. Ritter had a career in the US until they found out that he was a kiddyfiddler, when he realized he was completely blackballed he instead went to Russia to shill for them. Such is life. This is the person you trust?

Quote (ferdia @ Feb 17 2024 11:07am)
lol you just did it again. where did i disagree that Scott Ritter is a convicted pedo? I am saying it is not relevant to the debate at hand. you argue the position, not the person. I already answered your question above but i will copy paste it for you again:

Quote (Hobbiks @ Feb 17 2024 09:04am)
On topic: Putin wants to take land, he was explicit about it in his latest interview.

which is a vague statement anyone and everyone can agree on, but is not as precise as Scott Ritter's assessment.

Im asking you if you disagee, it wasn't a statement. I also think its a little funny that you left out the part where i say "who got fired from his job in the US because of it", because it's pretty important to this context.
So you dont think that it is an important to the context that the same person who is now doing speeches for cash for the Russian state only started doing that after he lost his career in the US? You don't seem how that can be relevant to understanding Scott Ritters agency or motives when he makes his videos?

"which is a vague statement anyone and everyone can agree on, but is not as precise as Scott Ritter's assessment." - So i'll ask you again: Can you explain how Scott Ritters assessment is different from Putins explicit justifications?
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 17 2024 04:13am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 16 2024 11:00pm)
Blah blah blah

This drivel has been addressed in this thread ad nauseum. No need to do so again simply because you weren't paying attention.

Quote (Djunior @ Feb 17 2024 01:09am)
Wrong, there's been heavy fighting around Bakhmut for months on end, we've seen Ukraine throw the best brigades they had at the flanks of the city last summer in an effort to surround it including the elite neo Nazi Azov brigade, the kind of guys you're supporting here SMH. And the Russians pushed them back.

The badly led, badly trained, badly equipped conscripts that were thrown into the meatgrinder pushed the elite NATO trained / NATO equipped Ukrainian brigades back and now we never hear from Bakhmut again but the reality is that Ukraine's counteroffensive was defeated by the Russians that's how you call it when you lose a major battle that was prepared for a year and hyped up with Ukrainian army ads.

Second part of your post is just LOL, here comes another "analysis" of how something that I posted "proves" this or that. Almost as good as your analysis of posts of mine that you claimed "proved" that I'm Russian or work for the KGB or some shit like that.

Reality is that I reacted to this quote and the guy in question realized that because he replied and I didn't even quote him

What exactly was wrong? Have the Russians gone further after 8 months? No. No they haven't. They ground Bakhmut into dust, and you Putin aficionados gushed over Russia's great victory. Except for the Pyrrhic part. The western MSM painted it as unimportant loss, and indeed 8 months on, Russia hasn't turned it into a cascade of dominos.
Feb 17 2024 04:16am
Quote (ferdia @ Feb 17 2024 11:09am)
if you provide a better source (video / link) I will be the first to say well done.

A source for what? What is being discussed here is if Scott Ritter is trustworthy as a source or not. He himself has never said he is an expert on eastern europe, you cant explain why his insights are any different than Putins explicit reasons, he is a russian state actor who is begrudged that he lost his job in the US because he got convicted of crimes against children. What is it you want a source on?

Gold: 100,701.50
Quote (Hobbiks @ Feb 17 2024 11:13am)
Nobody has said he is a state actor. I used the word "was" which is past tense. Maybe you just need to read what i wrote again so you can actually understand it?

Do you agree that Scott Ritter, the same person you claim is not a shill, was in fact quite literally employed by the US government?

Yes, Ritter is a Russian state actor and was a US state actor. It's pretty common that grifters do this type of thing. Ritter had a career in the US until they found out that he was a kiddyfiddler, when he realized he was completely blackballed he instead went to Russia to shill for them. Such is life. This is the person you trust?

Read your own posts again, YOU called him a state actor and you didn't use past tense. Get outa here lol

Quote (Hobbiks @ Feb 17 2024 10:54am)
So by being critical now, he isnt a state actor? Do you know what being a "state actor" means? Do you agree that Scott Ritter was employed by the US government?

Ritter is quite literally loyal to Kreml, he holds paid speeches on their behalf, it's not my opinion but what he does for a living. If you need me to send the source again I gladly will. I don't know why you're rambling about Tucker Carlson however, since he hasn't been brought up once.

You're not discussing with "MSM trash outlets" right now, it's you and me. Is MSM trash outlets in the room with us right now?

Gold: 13,470.00
Warn: 10%
lets try to find an analysis of Putin's interview.

example one :

this is the same old narrative, putin is trying to drive a wedge in western leaders. yes its true but not insightful.
Feb 17 2024 04:19am
Quote (ferdia @ Feb 17 2024 11:16am)
lets try to find an analysis of Putin's interview.

example one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2fcnrHd7oo

this is the same old narrative, putin is trying to drive a wedge in western leaders. yes its true but not insightful.

I don't know who you are talking to but its obviously not me. For the third time, i ask you, not BBC: Can you explain how Scott Ritters assessment is different from Putins explicit justifications?
Gold: 3,691.00
Feb 17 2024 04:20am
Quote (Hobbiks @ 17 Feb 2024 11:08)

Let’s circle back to the comment you made about the video posted

Quote (Hobbiks @ 17 Feb 2024 10:04)
Thank you for posting convicted pedophile Scott Ritter talking about Putin. I personally get all of my political takes from convicted and admitted pedos, personally.

This has no attempt to engage with the argument or discuss the topic at hand. Admittedly I didn’t watch that 24 minute video myself, however attempting to immediately disqualify whatever argument he is making based on his conviction and time served - does constitute a logical fallacy.

You have given more nuance now and I thank you for that. Having said that - Scott Ritter does know more about military than I do and I would probably learn from him despite his conviction.

If somebody brings here a public speech of one of Ukranian neonazis - eg Biletsky - I honestly would be very interested to hear what he has to say. I have read about his earlier escapades along the lines of fighting the semite-led untermenschen - perhaps he became more nuanced and polished with all NATO PR training given to him.

This post was edited by Malopox on Feb 17 2024 04:27am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1394639473948394939504522Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll