d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1385538563857385838594522Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,691.00
Dec 30 2023 10:15am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 30 Dec 2023 17:11)
The blending was one way to get around it, exporting it to places like Morocco, India is generally in line with that.

Ultimately the mechanic was basically something like this, at least the way I understand it. The Russians can continue to sell to EU under the 60 price cap when oil was in the 70-90 range or they can sell it to these middle men at a discount (hard to know exactly how much the discount for each client/transaction but I heard it ranged from 10-30 dollars at some points in time, but tightened with time, last I read current oil discount to India is only 5/barrel). Which they can re-blend and resale and pocket the difference.

So if you're Russia, let these 3rd party middle men earn that spread which in turn hurts the sanctioning countries ultimately, instead of selling directly to euros under the price cap. Either way they would earn between 50-60 a barrel but this way they can hurt Europe back.

They still earn the full price as they charge the difference in logistics (shipping) and insurance costs.

This way the sale still complies with price cap.
Gold: 32,512.50
Warn: 10%
Dec 30 2023 10:22am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Dec 30 2023 03:21pm)
Below graphic is a good representation of what happened with Russian oil in light of sanctions in the last 2 years

https://x.com/profstonge/status/1740815576694686057?s=20

On a percent of total sold terms, India basically replaced EU. It's not as if India consumed all that oil but rather just arbitraged and middle manned it.

>EU places sanctions on Russia
>Russia sells discounted oil to India
>EU still needs to fill the supply gap, so they purchase oil from India, except at much higher prices compared to what they paid the Russians
>Russian oil revenue still exceeds pre-pandemic average price/barrel while Europe is still buying Russian oil, only now it's indirectly and at a much higher price

The stupidity of sanctions on a commoditized product that everyone needs.

How are natural gas revenues?
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 30 2023 10:30am
oups Belgorod
Dec 30 2023 10:43am
Quote (Norlander @ Dec 30 2023 03:27pm)
Ministry of Emergency Situations: 14 people were killed, 108 were injured during the shelling of Belgorod

When the center of Belgorod was shelled by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, 12 adults and two children were killed and 108 were injured, including 15 children, the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations reported.
Children's Ombudsman Maria Lvova-Belova said that a total of 17 children were injured, four of them in intensive care in serious condition.
Earlier, the Ministry of Emergency Situations reported ten dead and 45 injured. The city center came under fire around 3 p.m. The Ministry of Emergency Situations indicated that ten fires occurred after the shelling; they were extinguished.
The Ministry of Defense reported that the strike used two Vilkha missiles “with prohibited cluster ammunition” and rockets from the Czech-made Vampire multiple launch rocket system.
“The Vilkha missiles and most of the Vampire MLRS rockets were intercepted by air defense systems. Several rockets and cluster parts from the downed Vilkha missiles hit the city of Belgorod,” the department indicated.

Source: RBC
https://www.rbc.ru/politics/30/12/2023/6590307c9a79474ca9c729f6

Just terrible.

And yet this is Ukraines reality for almost 2 years, so expect little sympathy
Gold: 260.11
Dec 30 2023 10:56am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Dec 30 2023 07:13am)
How so? What losses exactly? Men?

Their manufacturing is fine, and is adapting to making it work without outside components. This actually makes their domestic manufacturing stronger in the long run as it serves to repatriate and bootstrap key industries.

The extreme controls you mentioned are a drop in the bucket compared to the financial house of cards and financial engineering we have here tbh. Russian debt/GDP is 15%, they have a lot of runway in the future if they ever needed to use financial levers.

"their manufacturing is fine", except their planes are barely functional because they can't manufacture specialty parts and are having to cannibalize their passenger planes for them.
"their manufacturing is fine", except the number of produced cars in Russia has dropped over 60% since the war started hasn't recovered
"their manufacturing is fine", except the already declining number of workers who can do the manufacturing has been further decreased by sending working age men into the meat grinder.

I know you have some weird boner for Russia, but sanctions have been pretty devastating to the Russian manufacturing base. Russia hasn't collapsed. That was never the intention. As I said from day one, the point of the sanctions is to make it not worth it to continue. Which they did, and then Putin kept going anyway compounding the losses.

You can make a car without "outside components" if you're fine driving a car without seat belts. Having to do that doesn't mean your manufacturing sector is strong.
Gold: 20,065.00
Dec 30 2023 11:12am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 30 2023 11:56am)
"their manufacturing is fine", except their planes are barely functional because they can't manufacture specialty parts and are having to cannibalize their passenger planes for them.
"their manufacturing is fine", except the number of produced cars in Russia has dropped over 60% since the war started hasn't recovered
"their manufacturing is fine", except the already declining number of workers who can do the manufacturing has been further decreased by sending working age men into the meat grinder.

I know you have some weird boner for Russia, but sanctions have been pretty devastating to the Russian manufacturing base. Russia hasn't collapsed. That was never the intention. As I said from day one, the point of the sanctions is to make it not worth it to continue. Which they did, and then Putin kept going anyway compounding the losses.

You can make a car without "outside components" if you're fine driving a car without seat belts. Having to do that doesn't mean your manufacturing sector is strong.

Sky fell 4xtimes in one post and like goes on in Russia.

Was curious, and here's an actual chart of Russian car production.

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/car-production#:~:text=Car%20Production%20in%20Russia%20averaged,source%3A%20Federal%20State%20Statistics%20Service

Notice the upward trend since start of 2022? Which pretty much reinforces what I said, that as they decouple from the Europe, they are becoming more self sufficient and will be fine.

500k soldiers joining the military has a miniscule effect on a country with a population of 145 million. Look, I understand you guys desperately want to paint a picture of the world is ending in Russia but it's laughable if you know some of their basic recent history. Shit, the collapse of the Soviet Union had a way bigger negative effect than this war.

Gold: 3,691.00
Dec 30 2023 11:30am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 30 Dec 2023 17:56)

So far there has not been a single report of a plane being cannibalized for parts. They are serviced with gray reimports via friendly countries and factories are being set up to produce analogue parts (eg S7 production line in Berdsk). Russia is planning to fully move to SSJ and IL which can be produced fully domestically and manufacturing capacities of those are being ramped up as we speak.

That is true, however Russia has moved on to Chinese cars with Russia being the BIGGEST export market for Chinese cars trumping the next 4 markets combined in 2023. A good friend of mine bought HiPhi X instead of a Porsche Taycan and doesn’t regret his choice.

That is just straight up made up imaginationland. Even if you take exaggerated Ukrainian propaganda numbers, Russia hasn’t lost that many “working age men” and is importing millions more from the Central Asia to man the factories churning out drones, ammo, camouflage, helmets and whatever else you might need.

So far sanctions have failed which is confirmed by both western, UA and domestic analysts. Russia was able to adapt better than expected, GDP is set to grow DESPITE suppressed exchange rate of the rouble and global south is supporting Russia ignoring Western threats.
Gold: 4,404.67
Dec 30 2023 12:40pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 30 Dec 2023 03:08)
If this war ends with Russia fully maintaining all of the captured territory while it's opponents crowd sourced hundreds of billions without dislodging them from those gains, silly to frame that as an embarrassment. I'm trying to think back in history where a country/empire captures this amount of territory and it's framed as an embarrassing loss, help me out?

Virtually all of the territory they gained was taken either during the first couple of days of this invasion, when Russia still kinda had the element of surprise, and when Ukraine did not have hundreds of billions worth of Western military equipment at its disposal yet. Or they were taken after the Russian artillery had bombed them into the absolute ground.

Holding ground against an enemy who does not have air dominance, after you've had half a year to fortify your positions (because your enemy's allies were too slow and reluctant to fuel his counteroffensive), is neither surprising nor something to write home about.

The "hundreds of billions of Western arms supplies for Ukraine"-talking point is peak silliness, considering that the Russians pumped at least the same amount of resources into this war. If we had sent the Ukrainians 80 F16 jets, thousands of top-notch cruise missiles and hundreds of cutting-edge tanks, and the Russians had held off the counteroffensive anyhow, then they would have a reason to celebrate.

Outside the military sphere, we're 2 years since sanctions that would crush Russia were implemented.

As you might remember, I've (mostly) been against the economic sanctions since the get go. ;)

If they survive economically and lets say actually thrive once this is over, it will be viewed as a pretty strong blow to US led western hegemony.

Agreed, but that's a really big IF. I, for my part, highly doubt that Russia will thrive economically anytime soon.

Quote (ofthevoid @ 30 Dec 2023 14:13)
Their manufacturing is fine, and is adapting to making it work without outside components. This actually makes their domestic manufacturing stronger in the long run as it serves to repatriate and bootstrap key industries.

No. This makes their manufacturing more resilient and self-sustaining, but it doesn't necessarily make it stronger or more competitive. The reality is that Russian manufacturing (as well as other industries) will fall even further behind technologically than they already were to begin with. Their cars have regressed to the technological state that Western and Asian carmakers had during the 90s...

The extreme controls you mentioned are a drop in the bucket compared to the financial house of cards and financial engineering we have here tbh. Russian debt/GDP is 15%, they have a lot of runway in the future if they ever needed to use financial levers.

Their GDP is almost entirely built on the extraction of oil and natural gas though. And their GDP per capita is far lower than that of Western countries. We can borrow $100k per capita and our debt to GDP ratio goes from 90% to 100% or so; if Russia does the same, their debt to GDP ratio skyrockets from 15% to 80%. (Numbers not exact, just for illustrative purposes.)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Dec 30 2023 12:42pm
Gold: 11.11
Dec 30 2023 01:10pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 30 2023 11:56am)
"their manufacturing is fine",
"their manufacturing is fine",

I know you have some weird boner for Russia, but sanctions have been pretty devastating to the Russian manufacturing base. Russia hasn't collapsed. That was never the intention..

My goyim in christ, Russia has the most battle hardened troops on the planet with the most up to date training on drone/city warfare. Russia,like Iran,has realized that the future of this special military operation does not rely on "their manufacturing" but of their ability to supply the munitions needed on the front lines. Russia is now solely focused on shells/drones/mrbms and mlrs systems. Ukriane doesn't have the supply and Russia does its game over fam
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1385538563857385838594522Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll