d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The President Has Said Many Times Before That We > Need To Call Out The Enemy By Their Name
Prev1252627282935Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,383.11
Aug 17 2017 04:50pm
Quote (fender @ 17 Aug 2017 23:22)
were you trying to refute yourself there or did that happen by accident?

anyway, "in the context of the times" is one thing, but we don't live in these times anymore - how many 3rd reich general statues do you think we built to worship here? there is no reason to keep glorifying slavery proponents and traitors - especially considering many of those monuments were erected in the 20th century in times of racial turmoil. also, a significant part of lee's extended family sided with the union, so please don't spare me the apologetic bs - you said it yourself, he could have chosen the right side but he CHOSE to fight for slavery.

should his story be taught in context and is he a significant figure in american history? absolutely, but that's stuff for museums and history books - not something to have in front of court and state houses...

nice job putting a nazi comparison in there again, as if a person like lee as a much respected general is even somewhat close to that

looks like you have swallowed too much of the propaganda in german media recently, the glorious north fighting the evil slavery supporters in the south and everything about them needs to be banned, burned and destroyed
simplistic, uninformed and outright stupid, there was so much more to this conflict

you have exposed yourself again, antifa guys like you are the new book burners

of course it would too much for the deranged left with their safe spaces and trigger warnings to RESPECT history and keep this statue with an information board about the man
its exactly the kind of stuff to remain in front of state buildings

whats next on your agenda fender? maybe tear down bismarck memorials in germany? i wouldnt be suprised
Gold: 57.00
Aug 17 2017 04:54pm
Quote (ampoo @ 17 Aug 2017 18:50)
whats next on your agenda fender? maybe tear down bismarck memorials in germany? i wouldnt be suprised

stop giving him ideas
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 17 2017 04:54pm
Quote (fender @ Aug 17 2017 04:22pm)
were you trying to refute yourself there or did that happen by accident?

anyway, "in the context of the times" is one thing, but we don't live in these times anymore - how many 3rd reich general statues do you think we built to worship here? there is no reason to keep glorifying slavery proponents and traitors - especially considering many of those monuments were erected in the 20th century in times of racial turmoil. also, a significant part of lee's extended family sided with the union, so please don't spare me the apologetic bs - you said it yourself, he could have chosen the right side but he CHOSE to fight for slavery.

should his story be taught in context and is he a significant figure in american history? absolutely, but that's stuff for museums and history books - not something to have in front of court and state houses...

Well, men on the side of the union had plenty of reason to hate the general of their defeated enemy. Why wasn't Lee thrown to the wolves in American society at the time? Perhaps because they didn't view the confederacy(and men who fought for the confederacy) as harshly as some on this forum do.

The 3rd Reich comparison falls flat. The Holocaust, Hitler, and Nazism was a national disgrace for Germany. Germany wasn't founded with the idea that genocide of the Jews was acceptable. Slavery is an institution that was accepted when the United States was founded, it's just not the same thing as genocide of the Jews.

The quote I posted of Eiseinhower's remarks about Lee seem to fit here. It's just not as cut and dry as "he should've joined the union, he's a traitor derp". Historical context matters. If the union had the same attitude as some on this forum in the aftermath of the war I'm not sure what the country would look like today.

With all due respect, a foreigner's view on which historical monuments we should have up is irrelevant to me.
Aug 17 2017 05:00pm
That said, I'm cool with whatever local communities decide on the statues they have. I think who it was and when it was put up matters, but just taking down any statue of someone who served in the confederacy is silly.
Aug 17 2017 05:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ 18 Aug 2017 00:54)
Well, men on the side of the union had plenty of reason to hate the general of their defeated enemy. Why wasn't Lee thrown to the wolves in American society at the time? Perhaps because they didn't view the confederacy(and men who fought for the confederacy) as harshly as some on this forum do.

The 3rd Reich comparison falls flat. The Holocaust, Hitler, and Nazism was a national disgrace for Germany. Germany wasn't founded with the idea that genocide of the Jews was acceptable. Slavery is an institution that was accepted when the United States was founded, it's just not the same thing as genocide of the Jews.

The quote I posted of Eiseinhower's remarks about Lee seem to fit here. It's just not as cut and dry as "he should've joined the union, he's a traitor derp". Historical context matters. If the union had the same attitude as some on this forum in the aftermath of the war I'm not sure what the country would look like today.

With all due respect, a foreigner's view on which historical monuments we should have up is irrelevant to me.

everyone with at least a bit of dignity wouldnt judge him, he was asked to take up arms against his home and decided against it
Aug 17 2017 05:07pm
Quote (ampoo @ Aug 17 2017 06:05pm)
everyone with at least a bit of dignity wouldnt judge him, he was asked to take up arms against his home and decided against it

Yeah, not everyone was a collectivist, statist, Uncle Sam worshiping shill back then.
Gold: 57.00
Aug 17 2017 05:10pm
Quote (IceMage @ 17 Aug 2017 18:54)

notice how we dont run around lecturing on German history. That would be ignorant

fender aka heinrich has an absurd obsession with the United States - could be because his initial visa application was denied when i reported his violence-laced and hateful tendencies to the authorities in Dresden :)
Aug 17 2017 05:14pm
Quote (excellence @ 18 Aug 2017 01:10)
notice how we dont run around lecturing on German history. That would be ignorant

fender aka heinrich has an absurd obsession with the United States - could be because his initial visa application was denied when i reported his violence-laced and hateful tendencies to the authorities in Dresden :)

he should be from the mainz area and as a former roman city they have some remains of the roman civilisation

but wait, the romans were slave owners, we have to knock those down immediately!!!
Aug 17 2017 05:22pm
Quote (ampoo @ Aug 17 2017 06:14pm)
he should be from the mainz area and as a former roman city they have some remains of the roman civilisation

but wait, the romans were slave owners, we have to knock those down immediately!!!

No no no, slave owners are cool unless they live in a time when they have to fight for their home state on the side that wants to maintain slavery, and end up losing. Then they become evil, but up til that point they are just men of the times.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 17 2017 05:30pm
Quote (IceMage @ 18 Aug 2017 00:00)
That said, I'm cool with whatever local communities decide on the statues they have. I think who it was and when it was put up matters, but just taking down any statue of someone who served in the confederacy is silly.

The difficulty I have with these type of arguments is how a majority might think a irrelevant symbol to be highly relevant, yet tends to meaningless when it comes to actual culture.

As a silly example from here: Our type of Santa with black slaves putting presents through "chimneys" have renamed the black slaves from Black Pete, to Soot Pete (white ppl with black soot stripes).
The cultural importance argument was way overreached, resulting in death threats towards many activists. Afterwards it seems almost silly and repulsive that it had caused that much commotion over nothing.

Dunno how the statue relates to that.. Almost wondering how many ppl knew it existed.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Aug 17 2017 05:38pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1252627282935Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll