d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1249124922493249424954476Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 25 2023 06:18pm
Quote (DizzyBusiness @ Mar 25 2023 05:17pm)
Wtf is the "L culture war" lol. Are you literally unable to quote someone accurately? I said "US culture war BS" it is like 4 comments up.

Ah so that’s not a L issue?
Gold: 4.91
Warn: 10%
Mar 25 2023 06:24pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Mar 25 2023 09:18pm)
Ah so that’s not a L issue?

I don’t know what an "L issue" is, and tbh I don’t care, lost enough braincells engaging you with already.
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 26 2023 01:09pm
Seems that Putin goes nuclear (Belarus 15-20 kilotons bombers) everytime the failure of the Russian invasion is steping backward or validated as being unsucessful.

Also

https://news.yahoo.com/japanese-student-came-graduation-dressed-123441173.html
Gold: 47,079.00
Mar 26 2023 06:11pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Mar 25 2023 08:33pm)
Off topic. This reminded me that time that Mark Zuckerberg testified about facebook / Meta.

OMG now, I know why the US is declining . :rofl:

I feel sorry for my poor fellow Singaporean. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E-4jtTFsO4

This is 5 hours long. i watched 1 hour of it. thats enough for me! TBH the committee has valid concerns on the ownership of tiktok noting the parent company. ultimately the US does not want chinese tech in america. TLDR the hearing was a farce as they already made up their minds on tiktok before the hearing. his attendance was pointless. caveat - only watched 1 hour.

Quote (Meanwhile @ Mar 26 2023 08:09pm)
Seems that Putin goes nuclear (Belarus 15-20 kilotons bombers) everytime the failure of the Russian invasion is steping backward or validated as being unsucessful.

whats this ? a new development?

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 26 2023 06:14pm
Mar 26 2023 06:15pm
Video of Michael Parenti talking about his book "inventing reality: the politics of news media"

He goes into detail about how the US media is essentially just a propaganda wing of the the US government. Seems relevant to the reporting we see on Russia/Ukraine.

Video is a bit long, here is a shorter one for the cliff notes version -edit can only post one video apparently but link is here

https://youtu.be/xWCMSqdUlEI

This post was edited by DizzyBusiness on Mar 26 2023 06:16pm
Mar 26 2023 06:27pm
Quote (DizzyBusiness @ Mar 27 2023 01:15am)
Video of Michael Parenti talking about his book "inventing reality: the politics of news media"

He goes into detail about how the US media is essentially just a propaganda wing of the the US government. Seems relevant to the reporting we see on Russia/Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3kRHo_vpQ

Video is a bit long, here is a shorter one for the cliff notes version -edit can only post one video apparently but link is here

https://youtu.be/xWCMSqdUlEI

i watched the short version :) something like this is better on netflex then on youtube, fully read on this previously.
Mar 26 2023 10:43pm
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 26 2023 09:27pm)
i watched the short version :) something like this is better on netflex then on youtube, fully read on this previously.

Yeah the short version is much better, Parenti isn't a great public speaker, I like his writing though.

Have you ever heard of the Smith-Mundt act?

"The Act was developed to regulate broadcasting of programs for foreign audiences produced under the guidance by the State Department, and it prohibited domestic dissemination of materials produced by such programs as one of its provisions.[1] The original version of the Act was amended by the Smith–Mundt Modernization Act of 2012 which allowed for materials produced by the State Department and the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) to be disseminated (widely spread) within the United States.[2][3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%E2%80%93Mundt_Act

Pretty crazy IMO, I think it probably has a big part to play in how divisive and dramatic US politics has become in the last decade. My tinfoil hat might be too tight but that all looks shady af to me.
Mar 27 2023 02:07am
Quote (DizzyBusiness @ Mar 27 2023 05:43am)
Yeah the short version is much better, Parenti isn't a great public speaker, I like his writing though.

Have you ever heard of the Smith-Mundt act?

"The Act was developed to regulate broadcasting of programs for foreign audiences produced under the guidance by the State Department, and it prohibited domestic dissemination of materials produced by such programs as one of its provisions.[1] The original version of the Act was amended by the Smith–Mundt Modernization Act of 2012 which allowed for materials produced by the State Department and the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) to be disseminated (widely spread) within the United States.[2][3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%E2%80%93Mundt_Act

Pretty crazy IMO, I think it probably has a big part to play in how divisive and dramatic US politics has become in the last decade. My tinfoil hat might be too tight but that all looks shady af to me.

its too early in the morning for me after doing an allnighter for work. what am i reading here ?
Mar 27 2023 03:23am
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 27 2023 05:07am)
its too early in the morning for me after doing an allnighter for work. what am i reading here ?

It will take a bit more reading if you aren't familiar with some of the organizations involved but when you have the time I'd recommend checking it out if you are interested in government propaganda in the US. Will need to read up on the office of war information, wiki link is accurate and well cited.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Office_of_War_Information

After world war 2, the OWI programs were mostly rolled into other areas of government and the Smith-Mundt act was created to regulate some parts of it

The amendment in 2012 basically allowed the US government to disseminate propaganda designed for foreign audiences within the United States, this was supposedly to combat Islamic propaganda during the war on terror. If you read about OWIs foreign operations vs domestic you should see why that could be problematic.

Kind of a rabbit hole to go down so I'd recommend checking it out when you aren't sleepy if it interests you. I'm summarizing quite a bit here so better to read through that stuff yourself

This post was edited by DizzyBusiness on Mar 27 2023 03:26am
Mar 27 2023 03:57am

Well, all countries use propaganda. The video posted the other day by hamster re: tiktok (he was suspended 6 hours for posting that i think, or rather, for posting his view of it haha - bold boy, read the room!) shows that the issues involved are quite complex. Having looked at it in the round I think that the committee is right in their view of tiktok (ban it) but that they accepted that their own US big business is doing terrible things too (but that as its US business they are tolerating it more, even if they still hate what is happening and realize the risks re: data and their populace being fed certain narratives / opinions, even where those opinions are not paid/sponsored/from china).

The recent Gary Lineker episode in england (not sure if you are fully read on that) is a very good example of how governments are creating and strengthening their platforms for presenting their narrative. The bbc (originally the world standard of good factual news) was able to push back this time but it looks inevitable that it will eventually totally fall under the umbrella of agenda driven governments.

To use a metaphor, saturday morning cartoons were amazing. the government then decided to break the play date up forever and dictated how many cartoons we could watch. in response we got private channels that gave us cartoons all day long.

To bring it back on topic: while main stream media is now providing political / government narratives along with "news", which on viewing this topic its clear that some users accept it as gospel, the internet, and various platforms, are providing a service, news, with an alternate view/impression that is not palatable to the ruling governments even if its factual/relevant. In this regard while the likes of tiktok can be banned, there are simply so many like it that ultimately the goal of censorship (effectively what it is) and agenda driven news will simply result in the community (the world) diversifying, and potentially moving away from the regular news.

And the problem with that is when they move away from semi credible news outlets and go down the fox news / conspiracy sites rabbit holes.

so TLDR: Factual News is the main casualty here and banning companies will do little to keep people safe.
also TLDR: its war time but irrespective of that the propaganda machine is here to stay.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 27 2023 03:59am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1249124922493249424954476Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll