d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1242824292430243124324472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 20 2023 05:19pm
Not really debating the point that currently it is largely D in favor of the current approach in Ukraine and its backing.
Refresher course.
The tides were 100% flipped on the Iraq war. R would call you un-American and not a patriot if you didn’t support us going after “Muslims” and anti Christians that were going to overthrow our culture if not stopped.
The political parties have done a 180 on both sides on this one
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 20 2023 05:20pm
Quote (dro94 @ 20 Mar 2023 23:31)
Blair was the best PM since Attlee in terms of domestic policy, no doubt about that IMO. His record on the economy, education, health, and public finances were amazing. I give credit to Scaly for mentioning this years ago when I had the same opinion of Blair as you.

i'm not challenging you personal opinion on blair, i'm just telling you explicitly what i meant when i said "for obvious reasons", when you tried to simplistically portray it as me suggesting you only want to downplay his role because he's british.

Blair obviously didn't think the intelligence was bs, otherwise he wouldn't have acted on it. That's just a strawman argument you've conjured up because you can't accept he took rational decisions using subpar intelligence.

again, pure speculation. you just claim he would have acted differently if he thought the evidence was bs - while i think that's a rather naive assumption, and not a valid excuse to begin with. you can continue to ignore this, but the fact remains there were plenty of people, plenty of leaders who suspected it at the time - and who drew the right conclusions.

blair is not a moron. he would have been well aware of mi6 leadership's biases and allegiances. i think it's much more likely he (and the loyalists advising him on foreign policy matters) correctly recognised it's flimsy "evidence" at best, but that "accepting" it would give him plausible deniability. i suspect he simply felt he had to follow america's lead, maybe genuinely thinking it would lead to a positive outcome for the iraqi people overall. that doesn't absolve him from the suffering it actually caused though, it doesn't absolve him from making the wrong decision, it doesn't absolve him from the fact it was a crime, regardless of his intentions.

Sometimes, tinpot dictators don't think entirely rationally. He could have done loads of weird shit, just look at Putin.

i gave you the historical context of why another invasion of iran by saddam was highly unlikely after the gulf war, but it doesn't even matter. it's a hypothetical you exclusively created in order to downplay / rationalise what actually happened. it's irrelevant.
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2023 05:24pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ 21 Mar 2023 00:19)
Not really debating the point that currently it is largely D in favor of the current approach in Ukraine and its backing.
Refresher course.
The tides were 100% flipped on the Iraq war. R would call you un-American and not a patriot if you didn’t support us going after “Muslims” and anti Christians that were going to overthrow our culture if not stopped.
The political parties have done a 180 on both sides on this one

Seems Southern Baptists are now in war with... Their sexual abuse scandal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_cases_in_Southern_Baptist_churches
Horrible sect
Gold: 46,068.00
Mar 20 2023 06:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 21 Mar 2023 07:05)
The framing wont happen in a vacuum during an election/debate like it is in polls with favorable framing of questions. If the question is level set as a contrast of how much we've sent while how much our economy flounders and how costs due to inflation have spiked most people are going be like "why tf are we sending so much money there when we're struggling" <-- this is 100% how Trump would frame it and most Americans would agree.

I noticed on social media anyone that's even remotely center-right or to the right is always critical of us being part of the war in those terms. Dozens of FB posts reinforcing this. It's not that they are pro-Russia or hate Ukraine it's 95% of the time because they are selfish and from a fiscal perspective don't want 'muh taxes' going to various places.

They want to save the money for Taiwan. :lol:
Gold: 2,602.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 20 2023 10:57pm
Quote (Meanwhile @ Mar 19 2023 04:26am)
No sources, picture uploaded on imgur... Sounds fishy.

For example: https://web.telegram.org/z/#-1540985845
Mar 21 2023 12:03am
That link doesn't work, this one should: https://t.me/gzvonews/5397
Gold: 4.91
Mar 21 2023 12:26am
Quote (kusotarre1 @ Mar 21 2023 03:03am)
That link doesn't work, this one should: https://t.me/gzvonews/5397

Lol the song :rofl:

Mar 21 2023 01:07am
Since no one has mentioned it in the last few days, Avdiivka is being rapidly encircled by the Russians. It's been slowly building for weeks, but over the past few days the Russians have made several important advances that have put the only railroad into this city under firm physical control north of the city, as there have been successful pushes to the south west, and directly towards the city from the south and the east.

Map as of a few hours ago:

This is the city that the AFU has used to launch the overwhelming majority of their terror attacks on civilians in Donetsk city for the past 9 years, so naturally a lot of people who actually care about civilian casualties are really looking forward to this one being taken.

Bakhmut is getting all the attention these days, but it's not the only thing happening.

The other major area of fighting is in the forest around Kreminna, which a recent doomer piece in the The Times revealed that the Ukrainians refer to as the "Cursed Forest", lending some credence to Russian claims that this area is producing hundreds of Ukrainian casualties (casualties, not fatalities) daily. Russians have long claimed this is another 'meatgrinder' and have uploaded endless videos of fighting there, but the lack of movement in the front gives pro-Ukrainian people some hope that it's all propaganda. Time will tell.

This post was edited by kusotarre1 on Mar 21 2023 01:09am
Gold: 45,309.00
Mar 21 2023 05:27am
I try not to look at isolated instances (as you all know by now) but rather look at things over a longer period. My view related to the current US position is that they have an expectation of a very strong Ukraine counter offensive and that this may give Ukraine a much stronger platform from which to dictate what they want, which is a reason not to countenance a ceasefire currently. Naturally in an eventuality that ukraine reclaims most/all they may then look for a peace deal, and it remains to be seen how Russia would view that (but probably unfavorably).

Basically as we said before its a question of who blinks first (which forms part of my rationale as to why there will be no peace, as neither side appear to be blinking).
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 21 2023 06:05am
The first photo of Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Kyiv

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1638133146829873152

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1242824292430243124324472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll