d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1240124022403240424054467Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 14 2023 04:59pm

Ministry of Defence (UK)

Latest Defence Intelligence update on the situation in Ukraine - 14 March 2023

In recent weeks, Russian artillery ammunition shortages have likely worsened to the extent that extremely punitive shell-rationing is in force on many parts of the front.

This has almost certainly been a key reason why no Russian formation has recently been able to generate operationally significant offensive action.

Russia has almost certainly already resorted to issuing old munitions stock which were previously categorised as unfit for use.

A presidential decree of 03 March 2023 laid down measures for the Ministry of Trade and Industry to bypass the authority of the managers of defence industries who fail to meet their production goals.

Russia is increasingly applying the principles of a command economy to its military industrial complex because it recognises that its defence manufacturing capacity is a key vulnerability in the increasingly attritional ‘special military operation.’

===> Sounds like they don't have that much infinite amount of ammos finally.

----------------------

Quote (dro94 @ 14 Mar 2023 23:45)
Zelensky doing a Gerasimov and throwing his troops into a pointless fight in Bakhmut. First big military call Ukraine has got wrong in this war; hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

for political reasons, thus topography is a good reason. The next two towns at 60km west are the ones that must absolutely not fall.
https://en-us.topographic-map.com/map-llpwzs/Bakhmut/

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 14 2023 06:00pm
would really help this thread if people watched this:

Mar 14 2023 06:27pm
Quote (fender @ 15 Mar 2023 01:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXmwyyKcBLk

Y cold war fossils who want keep the idea of a deal proven impossible in-betwwen us & russia.
And as europeans we would prefer Ukraine to join, and even the russian people, without its elite regime, later.

This also underline the idea that keeping a whole lot of different sovereign countries in a federation like in eu is very good model of stability.
Gold: 751.50
Mar 14 2023 06:34pm
Quote (fender @ Mar 15 2023 01:00am)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXmwyyKcBLk

skimmed a bit through it, not the worst you have linked here

that being said, two takes i heard are just terrible/wrong

how can you say that the stance of barack obama was for yanukovich to stay in power? (the creator mentions russian propaganda telling people otherwise)

clearly he did not do his homework then, we have high ranking officials like victoria nuland on tape plotting regime change in ukraine (and "fuck the EU")

thats a fact or are we talking about government officials with a different agenda than the sitting president? i think not

secondly, his take on bismarck/prussia is so bad, its almost hilarious

things like the german empire being solely responsible for WW1 ("all bad things in the 20th century come from prussian militarism") are just straight up wrong, have been debunked and thats commonly accepted by historians, the first great war was clearly a joint "effort"

also nice job leaving out that bismarck (not a flawless hero of course) acted from a position, where a unified german state was a necessity after being bullied, raided and serving as a battleground for bigger powers for literally centuries

very lazy unfortunately

i do appreciate pointing out the insanity of geopolitical games however, where entire countries are just poker chips

This post was edited by JohnnyMcCoy on Mar 14 2023 06:36pm
Mar 14 2023 06:44pm
Putin quote today:

"So for us this is not a geopolitical task, but a task of the survival of Russian statehood, creating conditions for the future development of the country and our children,"

Reminds me the "living space"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensraum

------------

Russia’s secret document for destabilizing Moldova

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-russias-secret-document-for-destabilizing-moldova-230008434.html

some of the protesters from poorer areas have been compensated with as little as 10 euros a day

Quote (JohnnyMcCoy @ 15 Mar 2023 01:34)
skimmed a bit through it, not the worst you have linked here

that being said, two takes i heard are just terrible/wrong

how can you say that the stance of barack obama was for yanukovich to stay in power? (the creator mentions russian propaganda telling people otherwise)

clearly he did not do his homework then, we have high ranking officials like victoria nuland on tape plotting regime change in ukraine (and "fuck the EU")

thats a fact or are we talking about government officials with a different agenda than the sitting president? i think not

secondly, his take on bismarck/prussia is so bad, its almost hilarious

things like the german empire being solely responsible for WW1 ("all bad things in the 20th century come from prussian militarism") are just straight up wrong, have been debunked and thats commonly accepted by historians, the first great war was clearly a joint "effort"

also nice job leaving out that bismarck (not a flawless hero of course) acted from a position, where a unified german state was a necessity after being bullied, raided and serving as a battleground for bigger powers for literally centuries

very lazy unfortunately

i do appreciate pointing out the insanity of geopolitical games however, where entire countries are just poker chips

Sometimes you can take a side by stopping or even slowing down a process. Obama was mixed.

This post was edited by Meanwhile on Mar 14 2023 06:57pm
Mar 14 2023 09:05pm
Old moralist, download, read the subs in accelerate to not fall asleep. Read the submarine book.

"Why did Russia attacked Ukraine"

Very human i love this guy.

This post was edited by Meanwhile on Mar 14 2023 09:06pm
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 15 2023 04:35am
Quote (Meanwhile @ Mar 15 2023 03:05am)
Old moralist, download, read the subs in accelerate to not fall asleep. Read the submarine book.

"Why did Russia attacked Ukraine"

Very human i love this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7uwtNoWBK0

This video provides an Australian analysis of the potential causes of the conflict and highlights the growing co-operation between Russia and China. We have not had a video from Australia like this in the topic. Thank you for posting it.

The Key points to my mind -

1. The various schools of thought as to the root causes of the war.
2. The US refusal to provide the long range version of Himars to Ukraine, the concern as to how Russia will respond should the system be used to bomb Crimea or Moscow.
3. The stated belief that there is a strong likelyhood that the war will go beyond the Ukrainian border (and by this I presume he refers to Russia in a direct war with Nato)

I did not dwell on:

1. That intelligence relating to likelihood of war was correct but that the intelligence on Russia capabilities was not and that the same considerations re: China are required (i.e. that there is no evidence to support that China is militarily capable).
2. The assertion that the Russians believe in no border anywhere whatsoever.
3. The assertion that China wants to and is capable of subsuming all of Russia into China within our lifetime.

TLDR: while people may disagree with some of the themes or observations raised in this video, nevertheless the video repeats what we have seen in lectures from other countries that there is a high likelyhood that the war is going to escalate to the extent of a direct conflict between Nato and Russia.

watching this one now:

"Paul Dibb: The Rise of China and the Inevitable Decline of America"

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 15 2023 04:54am
Mar 15 2023 05:38am
Quote (ferdia @ 15 Mar 2023 10:35)
This video provides an Australian analysis of the potential causes of the conflict and highlights the growing co-operation between Russia and China. We have not had a video from Australia like this in the topic. Thank you for posting it.

The Key points to my mind -

1. The various schools of thought as to the root causes of the war.
2. The US refusal to provide the long range version of Himars to Ukraine, the concern as to how Russia will respond should the system be used to bomb Crimea or Moscow.
3. The stated belief that there is a strong likelyhood that the war will go beyond the Ukrainian border (and by this I presume he refers to Russia in a direct war with Nato)

I did not dwell on:

1. That intelligence relating to likelihood of war was correct but that the intelligence on Russia capabilities was not and that the same considerations re: China are required (i.e. that there is no evidence to support that China is militarily capable).
2. The assertion that the Russians believe in no border anywhere whatsoever.
3. The assertion that China wants to and is capable of subsuming all of Russia into China within our lifetime.

TLDR: while people may disagree with some of the themes or observations raised in this video, nevertheless the video repeats what we have seen in lectures from other countries that there is a high likelyhood that the war is going to escalate to the extent of a direct conflict between Nato and Russia.

watching this one now:

"Paul Dibb: The Rise of China and the Inevitable Decline of America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO4vOJ5icw

First must know this video is 8 months old.

You cherry picked few points. Yet have to notice he said:

- "Russia" has no precise borders and this cause issues. Fall of Ussr lead to the creation of 15 sub-countries.
- Russia has hard time integrating the west, it is itself divided: claiming: moscow russians, little ukraine russians, white russians...
- Russia and soviets have been vastly over-estimated, since decades.
- Ukraine had 2000 nukes, these got removed in exchange for protection against an agressor: Ukraine knows its agressor.
- War course stay unknown atm, the nuclear threat is clear, "im not a military expert".
- Russia's army is protecting russia, Chinese army is protecting the ccp.
- China is learning from this conflict, may doubt, get weapons tech from russia, but may end up to an enemy at some point.

What i learnt from this video regrading china: over estimated, once again and it's not the first time: authoritarian countries have terrible flaws.
Not understanding why some people are claiming these models as viable, alternative, solutions. Not only it's inhuman, but also ineffective.

Still talking about China... Why not...

Why China Will Not Become the Dominant Power in Asia

The belief that China will soon become the dominant power in Asia is based on assumptions that its continued and rapid economic rise, and its emergence as a regional peer of America’s in military terms is all but assured. Such a belief underpins arguments that a fundamental strategic reorganisation of Asia is inevitable, and that it will be necessary and perhaps even desirable to concede to China significant ‘strategic space’. Dependent largely on linear extrapolations about the future, such arguments ignore the implications of China’s economic, social and national fragilities, its lack of major friends or allies in the region as well as the considerable military deficiencies and challenges faced by the People’s Liberation Army. With the Defence White Paper due for release in 2015, the government should bear in mind that planning for an era of Chinese dominance in the region—or even its emergence as an American strategic peer in Asia—would be premature if not improbable. Australia should not design its defence force for war with China, but it should be able to counter Chinese coercion and contribute to Allied military operations if necessary.

Gold: 46,068.00
Mar 15 2023 05:54am

a little off topic.

Why ASEAN mistrust the West and prefer the Chinese at the moment.
Also why ASEAN refused to take sides and follow the West in this current Ukraine / Russia conflict

Below is perhaps one of the many many reasons.

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-malaysia-relations-at-risk-over-colonial-legacy-claims/a-64973987
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 15 2023 05:57am
Quote (Meanwhile @ Mar 15 2023 11:38am)
First must know this video is 8 months old.

You cherry picked few points. Yet have to notice he said:

- "Russia" has no precise borders and this cause issues - this actually is wrong. The Russian borders with the west are defined and the Russian border disputes (7000+) with China have over the last 20 years been wittled down to 3. This refutes what was said in the video.Fall of Ussr lead to the creation of 15 sub-countries. - the term sub countries is wrong but I agree with the facts.
- Russia has hard time integrating the west, - Yes, the speaker acknowledges that the west refuses to include russia as being part of europe, even if Russia sees itself as being part of europe.it is itself divided: claiming: moscow russians, little ukraine russians, white russians... - True.
- Russia and soviets have been vastly over-estimated, since decades - Yes. But this is in the context of the likelyhood overthrow of Kiev rather then anything else.
- Ukraine had 2000 nukes, these got removed in exchange for protection against an agressor: Ukraine knows its agressor. - Yes I agree John Meirscheimer (and you) here: Ukraine should never have given up the nuclear weapons on Ukrainian soil. Hindsight and Forsight are irrelevant in the face of stupidity.
- War course stay unknown atm, the nuclear threat is clear, "im not a military expert". - Yes.
- Russia's army is protecting russia, Chinese army is protecting the ccp. - Yes, but thats what all armies are meant to do for all countries.
- China is learning from this conflict, may doubt, get weapons tech from russia, but may end up to an enemy at some point. - on balance yes but with so many nukes and chinese history of not staying anywhere I disagree with the closing comments

What i learnt from this video regrading china: over estimated, once again and it's not the first time: authoritarian countries have terrible flaws. - Yes
Not understanding why some people are claiming these models as viable, alternative, solutions. Not only it's inhuman, but also ineffective. - this is a viewpoint very difficult to prove factual.

Still talking about China... Why not... <- You posted the video, I posted another video, same speaker. You are referring to China therefore it seems reasonable to respond.

Why China Will Not Become the Dominant Power in Asia

The belief that China will soon become the dominant power in Asia is based on assumptions that its continued and rapid economic rise, and its emergence as a regional peer of America’s in military terms is all but assured. Such a belief underpins arguments that a fundamental strategic reorganisation of Asia is inevitable, and that it will be necessary and perhaps even desirable to concede to China significant ‘strategic space’. Dependent largely on linear extrapolations about the future, such arguments ignore the implications of China’s economic, social and national fragilities, its lack of major friends or allies in the region as well as the considerable military deficiencies and challenges faced by the People’s Liberation Army. With the Defence White Paper due for release in 2015, the government should bear in mind that planning for an era of Chinese dominance in the region—or even its emergence as an American strategic peer in Asia—would be premature if not improbable. Australia should not design its defence force for war with China, but it should be able to counter Chinese coercion and contribute to Allied military operations if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvNT3vyzr0

You have said alot here so I will try to address all of it (see bolded above).

But I must say Meanwhile, thank you for providing this speaker, these lectures are great.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 15 2023 06:12am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1240124022403240424054467Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll