d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev12302312322332344487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 20 2022 04:34pm
Quote (dro94 @ Mar 20 2022 02:27pm)
There are some pretty shocking claims in ISWs round up today: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-20

I would not trust ISW for intelligence related material. They are great for understanding battlefield tactics and reporting on troop status. We know this to be true because there are independent sources that report the destruction of regiments and we can see the combat footage. A lot of these things MIGHT be true but there's no way to verify them. As said, most of the sources are Ukrainian and I would not trust Ukrainian intel until it's been verified by other agencies.
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2022 04:40pm
Russia and China are anything but certainly not allies.
Gold: 46,640.00
Mar 20 2022 04:44pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 21 Mar 2022 06:40)
Russia and China are anything but certainly not allies.

I would say more like a trade partner.
History is there for you to see.
They don't have friendly relationships even during their Communist days.
The reason why they are friendly now is because of USA. That is the only reason why. If the United States is not around , Russia and China will be at each other's throat.
Gold: 13.37
Mar 20 2022 08:13pm
Quote (SanduLungu @ 20 Mar 2022 21:30)
because you say so :)))

I see it everyday
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 20 2022 08:23pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 20 2022 02:44pm)
Afghanistan fell to the Taliban as quickly as it did because a very significant share of its population is perfectly fine with Taliban rule, or even outright welcoming it. By contrast, in Ukraine outside of Crimea and the Donbass, there are overwhelming majorities for whom living under Russian rule is completely unacceptable.

You still operate under the fundamental assumption that Ukraine cannot possibly fight this to a stalemate, that a Russian victory is still inevitable.
At the start of the war, this was my assumption too, I thought the Russian military would be vastly superior and quickly wrap things up. I was badly wrong on that one.

Look, I agree that surrendering to save lives is the correct thing to do once a loss has become inevitable. But given our current information, this is clearly not the case yet in Ukraine. Recommending them to just roll over and give up their sovereignty based on the mere assumption of overwhelming Russian force - which has decidedly NOT materialized yet! - is a defeatist attitude.

I think this premise is wrong. Everyone in Ukraine lived under the Russian sphere of influence for all but 8 years of the past few centuries. Now they have the collective will to fight to the death in hopeless circumstances- because that's what they are- because returning to Russian rule is completely unacceptable?
This is what Ukrainian government, today;
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/19/ukraine-news-russia-invasion-updates/7110747001/
offered terms of surrender and safe passage for Mariupol alone, which is clearly and obviously being obliterated
Zelenksy refused it out of hand. After all, he's not in Mariupol. They can get annihilated before Kiev, maybe when Kiev falls he'll find a way out or maybe he'll surrender or maybe he'll just fight to the bitter end too.
Is that in the self-interest of the residents of Mariupol?
Gold: 100,701.50
Mar 20 2022 08:55pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Mar 20 2022 10:54pm)
You must feel a sense of pride for your country’s military might

I posted a vid showing what's going on in an appropriate thread.

Your reply just confirms what I already knew, you're one of those mentally ill "progressives" that completely lost touch with reality and can't even handle watching something they don't like, SMH

And I'm not Russian, sicko
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 20 2022 09:35pm
Quote (Djunior @ Mar 20 2022 07:55pm)
I posted a vid showing what's going on in an appropriate thread.

Your reply just confirms what I already knew, you're one of those mentally ill "progressives" that completely lost touch with reality and can't even handle watching something they don't like, SMH

And I'm not Russian, sicko

ok comrade
Gold: 1,978.00
Mar 20 2022 09:48pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 20 2022 06:23pm)
I think this premise is wrong. Everyone in Ukraine lived under the Russian sphere of influence for all but 8 years of the past few centuries. Now they have the collective will to fight to the death in hopeless circumstances- because that's what they are- because returning to Russian rule is completely unacceptable?

I wish more folks here would take this into account. I often hear comparisons of Ukraine to countries like Finland, Poland, and the Baltics. As in, why wouldn't Putin try to invade them too, if for example Poland was not in a formal military alliance with the US?

TBH, I don't think most of the left-wingers on here even know Ukraine's history as a geographical region, a civilizational core of the Russian sphere for hundreds of years, a region wrestled over by the PLC, Ottomans, and Russians for the longest time, a region once occupied by Turkic hordes, etc... I'm convinced they only know what they're told to know. As in, Ukraine, as in the people who live in the 2022 borders of the country called Ukraine, including Crimea, are an ancient, well-defined, unified and respected culture and nation state akin to China or France. According to them, there is no distinction between them and Poles, who only really share Slavic identity with Russia and not much else, Finns who share... basically fuck all with Russia, etc.
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 20 2022 10:02pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 20 2022 07:23pm)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/19/ukraine-news-russia-invasion-updates/7110747001/
offered terms of surrender and safe passage for Mariupol alone, which is clearly and obviously being obliterated
Zelenksy refused it out of hand. After all, he's not in Mariupol. They can get annihilated before Kiev, maybe when Kiev falls he'll find a way out or maybe he'll surrender or maybe he'll just fight to the bitter end too.
Is that in the self-interest of the residents of Mariupol?

Do you know any Russian immigrants in America? Yes, life is THAT much better being free from Russia.

Also, do you actually think that Russia's Mariupol offer was legit? If so, for just 7760 fg, I will gear your d2 character with PERFECT gear. No med necessary.
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 20 2022 10:57pm
Quote (Nibthebarb @ Mar 20 2022 08:48pm)
I wish more folks here would take this into account. I often hear comparisons of Ukraine to countries like Finland, Poland, and the Baltics. As in, why wouldn't Putin try to invade them too, if for example Poland was not in a formal military alliance with the US?

TBH, I don't think most of the left-wingers on here even know Ukraine's history as a geographical region, a civilizational core of the Russian sphere for hundreds of years, a region wrestled over by the PLC, Ottomans, and Russians for the longest time, a region once occupied by Turkic hordes, etc... I'm convinced they only know what they're told to know. As in, Ukraine, as in the people who live in the 2022 borders of the country called Ukraine, including Crimea, are an ancient, well-defined, unified and respected culture and nation state akin to China or France. According to them, there is no distinction between them and Poles, who only really share Slavic identity with Russia and not much else, Finns who share... basically fuck all with Russia, etc.

imagine living in a basement fighting for your ability to NOT be part RU.. and listening to some American telling him he's stupid from a couch.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12302312322332344487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll