d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev12272282292302314487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,170.00
Mar 20 2022 01:05pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Mar 20 2022 06:38pm)
Can't you see the beautiful "Z" russian tanks from your window ? They are here to liberate you.

you wished.

funny how you morally high leftists wish ill and death upon others when you don't like them.

can't you see the cockroaches crawling on your children and women? I can.
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 20 2022 01:08pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 11:42am)
I agree but if we critically think about it, that doesn't mean they will just abandon this campaign and just go home. It's the sunk cost fallacy in play. I would be very happy if Putin tomorrow decided to cave and announce some deal where very minimal gains have been made i.e. only that Ukraine won't join NATO and all Russian troops go home. Probability of that happening is low IMO, and I rather have a sober assessment of what might happen instead of trying to believe the most optimal outcome will happen.

100% agree. I don't think they are going to abandon the war but the tactics and strategy desperately need to change for them to win. That's what Keep in mind, the US failed to accomplish it's military objectives several times in Iraq and it required replacing generals and strategy (remember "the surge?"). This is perfectly normal in war because the situation on the ground changes and strong countries adapt. This is what think tanks like ISW refer to when it talks about "campaigns."
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 11:35am)
As far as I know, i didn't see a timeline from Russia in how much time it's appropriate to accomplish their objectives. We don't even fully know what their objectives are nor do we know what a frozen stalemate means for them nor Ukraine.

There's too many assumptions being ascribed here.

I think it's pretty clear based on the number of troops, their locations, and the axis of movement. You're right that the geopolitical goals are murky but the military goals are/were pretty clear. Operations of this scale are predictable. "Surprise attacks" happen on a much much smaller scale. The way the Russians planned this operation indicate that they had no desire to occupy the country and they wanted to get in and out quickly (a couple weeks). This is further corroborated by their supply line issues and the amount of resources they allocated for the war. I think the best option for Russia and Ukraine is to solve this diplomatically and Russia may honestly come out much better than they should (i.e. they might get to annex territory officially). As of now, Ukraine is in no position to mount massive counteroffensives to push Russia out. Due to Western intervention they might be able to in the coming months but a lot more people will die in the mean time.

Going back to Russia targeting civilians, we shouldn't treat them as some monolithic entity. Some commanders are going to be much more brutal than others and others are outright refusing orders. That's sort of the nature of war. From what we've seen though, there have been several instances of large segments of the Russian military committing war crimes. That doesn't mean Putin/his cabinet are personally ordering it, but more civilians are dying than they should due to the Russian military.
Gold: 46,640.00
Mar 20 2022 01:08pm

This is such a sad and grave situation in Ukraine ....
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2022 01:12pm
Quote (SanduLungu @ 20 Mar 2022 19:05)
you wished.

funny how you morally high leftists wish ill and death upon others when you don't like them.

can't you see the cockroaches crawling on your children and women? I can.

No, i am not wishing, and you know it.
Sad and bad hallucinations tho. :(

Quote (ferdia @ 20 Mar 2022 18:52)
well thats true.

I think the only good way out is Russia renewed like in 1991 but ever further and this time teaming with EU.
Not sure US would like this.
Gold: 3.33
Mar 20 2022 01:15pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 20 2022 03:31pm)
You're assuming that the Russians would want to hold Mariupol. I could see them depopulating it instead. Civilians are given 2 days to leave the city, after that, the Russian occupiers will kill everyone still in the city. After one week, there will be so few warriors left that they don't have to leave a lot of troops behind to keep them hiding in their bombed out basement.

There will be too many pockets of paramilitary in the vacinity of Mariupol for the Russians to just leave it
Gold: 15,220.00
Mar 20 2022 01:17pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 20 2022 03:08pm)
100% agree. I don't think they are going to abandon the war but the tactics and strategy desperately need to change for them to win. That's what Keep in mind, the US failed to accomplish it's military objectives several times in Iraq and it required replacing generals and strategy (remember "the surge?"). This is perfectly normal in war because the situation on the ground changes and strong countries adapt. This is what think tanks like ISW refer to when it talks about "campaigns."

I think it's pretty clear based on the number of troops, their locations, and the axis of movement. You're right that the geopolitical goals are murky but the military goals are/were pretty clear. Operations of this scale are predictable. "Surprise attacks" happen on a much much smaller scale. The way the Russians planned this operation indicate that they had no desire to occupy the country and they wanted to get in and out quickly (a couple weeks). This is further corroborated by their supply line issues and the amount of resources they allocated for the war. I think the best option for Russia and Ukraine is to solve this diplomatically and Russia may honestly come out much better than they should (i.e. they might get to annex territory officially). As of now, Ukraine is in no position to mount massive counteroffensives to push Russia out. Due to Western intervention they might be able to in the coming months but a lot more people will die in the mean time.

Going back to Russia targeting civilians, we shouldn't treat them as some monolithic entity. Some commanders are going to be much more brutal than others and others are outright refusing orders. That's sort of the nature of war. From what we've seen though, there have been several instances of large segments of the Russian military committing war crimes. That doesn't mean Putin/his cabinet are personally ordering it, but more civilians are dying than they should due to the Russian military.

Back to your previous point on Russia committing way more troops 500k, as you said. If I was Russian decision maker I don't think that would be wise. It's not wise because it directly plays into your enemy's reason for this war to continue. If i'm NATO i want this to be as costly as possible for Russia, and if we can get half of their active duty military tied up in urban warfare they will quick exhaust themselves, even if the war only lasts a year or two. Sure, they'd be able to take the cities with those type of numbers but at what cost? What happens during the next phase if there are subsequent wars or conflicts with NATO? Russia isn't going to blow it's load now, it would be a strategic mistake.

Gold: 2,170.00
Mar 20 2022 01:18pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Mar 20 2022 07:12pm)
No, i am not wishing, and you know it.
Sad and bad hallucinations tho. :(

of course you are, but don't worry, the whole world can't become the shithole france is just because misery seeks company.

keep importing and breeding cockroaches and barricade yourself on Bastille Day otherwise they will truck you again by the hundred.
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2022 01:29pm
Quote (SanduLungu @ 20 Mar 2022 19:18)
of course you are, but don't worry, the whole world can't become the shithole france is just because misery seeks company.

keep importing and breeding cockroaches and barricade yourself on Bastille Day otherwise they will truck you again by the hundred.

Not my fault if you are Romanian ok ? Quit it or i will past you "meanwhile in romania" memes

------------------------------

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/20/turkey-says-russia-ukraine-close-to-agreement

“We see that the parties are close to an agreement.”

I am skeptic but why not
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 20 2022 01:44pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 20 Mar 2022 17:03)
How many people need to die before they've reached that point?
If the west was going to intervene directly, they'd have a reason to hold out. We aren't, they don't. The outcome has been known since Joe Biden declared we would not intervene if and when Russia invaded, long before the invasion itself.

Afghanistan's fall is a great example of how relatively bloodless it can be when people in power accept inevitability and give up on being pawns for the west. We didn't watch in horror as the Taliban bombarded Kabul for weeks with heavy artillery while the holdouts fought to their bitter end. Everyone and their mother knew as soon as the US withdrew, the Taliban would take over, and so they let the Taliban take over. A war ended with bribes and pacts and diplomacy, not more IEDs and air strikes. Net result of the Afghanistan war was Taliban still in power, 175,000+ dead including 4000 americans, and 2.6 million refugees. Decades of conflict ended by flopping over and giving up without any more bloodshed. So in Ukraine, what's the point? What are we buying with the lives- of Ukrainians, not our own- that we're sacrificing?

Afghanistan fell to the Taliban as quickly as it did because a very significant share of its population is perfectly fine with Taliban rule, or even outright welcoming it. By contrast, in Ukraine outside of Crimea and the Donbass, there are overwhelming majorities for whom living under Russian rule is completely unacceptable.

You still operate under the fundamental assumption that Ukraine cannot possibly fight this to a stalemate, that a Russian victory is still inevitable.
At the start of the war, this was my assumption too, I thought the Russian military would be vastly superior and quickly wrap things up. I was badly wrong on that one.

Look, I agree that surrendering to save lives is the correct thing to do once a loss has become inevitable. But given our current information, this is clearly not the case yet in Ukraine. Recommending them to just roll over and give up their sovereignty based on the mere assumption of overwhelming Russian force - which has decidedly NOT materialized yet! - is a defeatist attitude.
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 20 2022 01:46pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 12:17pm)
Back to your previous point on Russia committing way more troops 500k, as you said. If I was Russian decision maker I don't think that would be wise. It's not wise because it directly plays into your enemy's reason for this war to continue. If i'm NATO i want this to be as costly as possible for Russia, and if we can get half of their active duty military tied up in urban warfare they will quick exhaust themselves, even if the war only lasts a year or two. Sure, they'd be able to take the cities with those type of numbers but at what cost? What happens during the next phase if there are subsequent wars or conflicts with NATO? Russia isn't going to blow it's load now, it would be a strategic mistake.

I agree. I think regime change is now off the table because they would have to commit the number aforementioned number of troops. Selling that at home when you have an impending economic crisis is not ideal. I think if I was Russia, a stalemate works out because Ukraine wouldn't be able to mount a successful counteroffensive. With Mariupol falling imminently, Russia has Kherson all the way back home. They can slowly chip away at the Eastern forces depending on how fighting goes in Izyum, Horlivka, and Severodonetsk. With consolidated territory, Russia can use these areas as diplomatic leverage. This is going to be a VERY tough pill to swallow for Ukraine and I'm not sure if they'll do it. It sets a REALLY bad precedent.

Realistically, I see this war going on for the rest of the year and I think both sides are hoping for something to fundamentally change. Ukraine is hoping there is unrest in Russia and they start feeling economic consequences and Russia is hoping that Ukraine's resolve falters. I do not see the credit card in the West going away any time soon. Weapons and economic aide will continue to pour in.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12272282292302314487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll