d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev12252262272282294487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 26,714.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 20 2022 11:44am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 04:36pm)
Putin's best case scenario goal was to replace the western puppets for eastern puppets similarly to 2014 and have Ukrainians singing kumbaya as they are forced under Russia's sphere of influence. We can all agree that failed and it was evident it will fail within the first few days. His goal now is to never allow Ukraine to join NATO, limit their military and basically have them recognize the breakaway regions. Russia will most likely get these concessions, so to me having a bunch of Ukrainians needlessly die is pointless. Not sure what point you're waiting for, the longer this drags out the more every other city will start to look like Mariupol. Why can't we skip the deaths/destruction and just accept the outcome?

agree with all that

Quote (Lebanon961 @ Mar 20 2022 04:46pm)
Russian goal (beyond Ukraine specifics) is to craft for themselves a place in the security architecture of Europe for decades to come.
They want to remake it in a way conducive to their interests while being a major partner in such a system.
Pandora's box is open, and no matter what the angry hotheads will say, this war's ramifications will not end with one side defeated.
The only way to close the box is precisely to negotiate just that.

and that too.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 20 2022 11:45am
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 20 2022 11:52am
Quote (Lebanon961 @ Mar 19 2022 10:04pm)
Regime change was never their objective. In fact, the Russias flat out said they consider Zelinsky a legit president.
Russian goals were clearly stated:
1- Neutral disarmed Ukraine.
2- Crimea to Russian sovereignty.
3- Independence to separatist provinces.

Regime change isn't on that list, otherwise, they would not be negotiating with Zelinsky's regime.

I find that extraordinarily hard to believe given that most of their resources are/were dedicated to Kyiv. Why would you have a 3 axis attack on the capital from the start and devote a majority of your resources if regime change isn't your objective?

Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 20 2022 09:03am)
How many people need to die before they've reached that point?
If the west was going to intervene directly, they'd have a reason to hold out. We aren't, they don't. The outcome has been known since Joe Biden declared we would not intervene if and when Russia invaded, long before the invasion itself.

Afghanistan's fall is a great example of how relatively bloodless it can be when people in power accept inevitability and give up on being pawns for the west. We didn't watch in horror as the Taliban bombarded Kabul for weeks with heavy artillery while the holdouts fought to their bitter end. Everyone and their mother knew as soon as the US withdrew, the Taliban would take over, and so they let the Taliban take over. A war ended with bribes and pacts and diplomacy, not more IEDs and air strikes. Net result of the Afghanistan war was Taliban still in power, 175,000+ dead including 4000 americans, and 2.6 million refugees. Decades of conflict ended by flopping over and giving up without any more bloodshed. So in Ukraine, what's the point? What are we buying with the lives- of Ukrainians, not our own- that we're sacrificing?

Wat. This is really strange analysis coming from you. For someone who prides himself on dealing with nuance, I'm surprised that you're falling into this false dichotomy trap. In the current state, Russia is UNABLE to win the war. They've failed all of their objectives and it's nothing short of catastrophic for them. Now, Russia COULD win the war but it's going to cost to cost everyone A LOT.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 05:23am)
Best sources are ones which for the most part don’t have a side. The west has a side here and it’s pretty obvious in their reporting. It may be difficult to find but, middle eastern, Indian, & other Asian sources would probably be most impartial about reporting.

It depends what you mean by "western reporting." I would trust defense/intelligence experts who have connections on the ground. A neutral country like India isn't going to have the contacts or expertise to parse the information. Ukraine and Russia have reason to sugarcoat their performance. A country like the UK doesn't. Frankly, I've found outlets that pride themselves in political analysis to be extremely poor. Organizations like ISW, Twitter feeds from specific experts with Eastern European expertise, etc. have been key.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 06:14am)
If Russia was really targeting civilians on purpose and not accidentally then you would of seen hundreds of thousands of deaths of refugees fleeing. They could target and bomb border crossings and get thousands of civilian deaths instantly. People keep saying Russia is failing to take any major cities, without explaining why they’re failing. They’re failing because they weren’t willing to indiscriminately turn those cities into parking lots. Mariupol is different though. It’s the home of the nazi battalion Azov and it’s the scene where these far right groups committed atrocities between 2014 and now so they have no problem unleashing.

What’s happening now is something I talked about weeks ago. When one side is clearly the military superior typically wars end very fast without so much blood shed. We in the west encouraged Ukraine to dig in and fight back so that quick outcome is now off the table. As a result though we’re in for a long and deadly war with Ukrainian lives on the line.

You see patriotism and are cheering because Russia isn’t immediately achieving its goals, I see tens of thousands of deaths (mostly Ukrainians) and I’m saddened because there’s no scenario where the Russians geopolitical goals weren’t going to be achieved and all those people died for no reason.

What makes you say this and where are you getting this number? It seems to me that Russia is intentionally targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure in certain areas. Will they bomb a border checkpoint near Poland? Absolutely not because that risks serious retaliation. But what if you kill a bunch of children in Kharkiv? Who is going to do anything about it? There's also the aspect that Russia needs to actually conserve ammo in a lot of areas. In the places that they don't, Russia has been pretty indiscriminate and they make Israel look like the Red Cross.

As for Russia's failure to take cities, the answer is simple. They don't have enough troops, tanks, ammo, missiles, etc. to execute. They don't have the supply lines set up to reinforce. War isn't the number of guns, troops, nukes, etc. It's the ability to USE those numbers and Russia has done a horrific job in that regard. I mean, have you ever heard of a war where this many flag officers have been killed this quickly? Maybe people are so used to American logistics that people take it for granted but it takes A LOT of time, effort, and money to execute these things cleanly.
Mar 20 2022 12:03pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 09:55am)
I think another angle here that no one is really talking about is the weaponization of refugees. During the Syria civil war that was an extremely effective tactic by Russia to divide the EU as many countries were forced to take in ME refugees. What was the figure? Around 1million i believe? Do you remember the amount of pushback there was and how that shaped EU politics for years?

Well, we're less than a month into this and Europe has already absorbed over 3 million Ukrainian refugees. I read some articles that countries like Czech and Poland are already struggling to cater to this influx of people. The longer this goes on, as weeks turn into months, you're going to see way more pushback from locals as local resources are depleted. I read an article that something like 17% of all people in Krakow are Ukrainian refugees.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/03/17/warsaws-population-has-risen-17-due-to-refugees-from-ukraine/

Many of these people will eventually look to go to places like Germany, I'm sure. Not sure how this will turn out politically over a longer period of time but it's hard to see how Europe won't struggle with such an influx of people when many of these economies are already struggling due to massive inflationary price hikes.

Yea, that's the million dollar question isn't it? Who is going to blink first? When will the West stop sending arms, aid, and accepting refugees? When will Russia be so economically crippled that they can't fight the war without going into a state of total war? I'm concerned that this conflict could go on for years which is fucking terrible.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 09:36am)
Putin's best case scenario goal was to replace the western puppets for eastern puppets similarly to 2014 and have Ukrainians singing kumbaya as they are forced under Russia's sphere of influence. We can all agree that failed and it was evident it will fail within the first few days. His goal now is to never allow Ukraine to join NATO, limit their military and basically have them recognize the breakaway regions. Russia will most likely get these concessions, so to me having a bunch of Ukrainians needlessly die is pointless. Not sure what point you're waiting for, the longer this drags out the more every other city will start to look like Mariupol. Why can't we skip the deaths/destruction and just accept the outcome?

Russia already accomplished the NATO objective years ago though. Few countries would allow Ukraine to join NATO while Crimea is occupied and there are skirmishes going on in the separatist regions. There is absolutely ZERO chance of Ukraine demilitarizing at this point. Why would they? Russia has shown that it's willing to invade a sovereign nation and they've also shown that they can't abide by any sort of agreement. The only way Ukraine demilitarizes is if Russia also demilitarizes which is absurd.

Russia doesn't have the manpower to make every city look like Mariupol. They CAN if they want but it will threaten their national security and they'll probably have to institute a draft. As I said before, 500,000 troops should do the trick.
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 20 2022 12:04pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 20 2022 10:52am)
I find that extraordinarily hard to believe given that most of their resources are/were dedicated to Kyiv. Why would you have a 3 axis attack on the capital from the start and devote a majority of your resources if regime change isn't your objective?

Wat. This is really strange analysis coming from you. For someone who prides himself on dealing with nuance, I'm surprised that you're falling into this false dichotomy trap. In the current state, Russia is UNABLE to win the war. They've failed all of their objectives and it's nothing short of catastrophic for them. Now, Russia COULD win the war but it's going to cost to cost everyone A LOT.

It depends what you mean by "western reporting." I would trust defense/intelligence experts who have connections on the ground. A neutral country like India isn't going to have the contacts or expertise to parse the information. Ukraine and Russia have reason to sugarcoat their performance. A country like the UK doesn't. Frankly, I've found outlets that pride themselves in political analysis to be extremely poor. Organizations like ISW, Twitter feeds from specific experts with Eastern European expertise, etc. have been key.

What makes you say this and where are you getting this number? It seems to me that Russia is intentionally targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure in certain areas. Will they bomb a border checkpoint near Poland? Absolutely not because that risks serious retaliation. But what if you kill a bunch of children in Kharkiv? Who is going to do anything about it? There's also the aspect that Russia needs to actually conserve ammo in a lot of areas. In the places that they don't, Russia has been pretty indiscriminate and they make Israel look like the Red Cross.

As for Russia's failure to take cities, the answer is simple. They don't have enough troops, tanks, ammo, missiles, etc. to execute. They don't have the supply lines set up to reinforce. War isn't the number of guns, troops, nukes, etc. It's the ability to USE those numbers and Russia has done a horrific job in that regard. I mean, have you ever heard of a war where this many flag officers have been killed this quickly? Maybe people are so used to American logistics that people take it for granted but it takes A LOT of time, effort, and money to execute these things cleanly.

Good thing RU does not have a version of Norman Schwarzkopf
Gold: 15,220.00
Mar 20 2022 12:22pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 20 2022 01:52pm)

ISW is a joke. Read their latest analysis on what Russia should do:

Ukrainian forces have defeated the initial Russian campaign of this war. That campaign aimed to conduct airborne and mechanized operations to seize Kyiv, Kharkiv, Odesa, and other major Ukrainian cities to force a change of government in Ukraine. That campaign has culminated. Russian forces continue to make limited advances in some parts of the theater but are very unlikely to be able to seize their objectives in this way. The doctrinally sound Russian response to this situation would be to end this campaign, accept a possibly lengthy operational pause, develop the plan for a new campaign, build up resources for that new campaign, and launch it when the resources and other conditions are ready. The Russian military has not yet adopted this approach. It is instead continuing to feed small collections of reinforcements into an ongoing effort to keep the current campaign alive. We assess that that effort will fail.

I'm sorry, but a Washington think tank basically saying Russia lost and they should go home isn't grounded in reality. That's not what's going to happen in the short term. If you ascribe to this type of nonsense, then you will be pretty far off base in trying to predict your enemy's next moves. I can guarantee Russia won't just abandon this campaign so as to let Ukraine regroup and re arm with NATO weapons.

As far as purposefully targeting civilians. If Russia was purposefully targeting civilians why are they moving massive amounts of Ukrainians to Russia? Like why did they send the busses to move those people, is it because they're trying to conserve bullets lol? What's the point of killing kids? Like these assessments are full of logical holes.

Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2022 12:30pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 20 Mar 2022 18:22)
I'm sorry, but a Washington think tank basically saying Russia lost and they should go home isn't grounded in reality.

Russia can't handle Ukraine that way, the deal was quick strike and coup. Ukraine is too big, everyone know this.
If Russia stays it will only lead to more victims and incredible war costs for Russia.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Mar 20 2022 12:31pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 11:22am)

I'm sorry, but a Washington think tank basically saying Russia lost and they should go home isn't grounded in reality. That's not what's going to happen in the short term. If you ascribe to this type of nonsense, then you will be pretty far off base in trying to predict your enemy's next moves. I can guarantee Russia won't just abandon this campaign so as to let Ukraine regroup and re arm with NATO weapons.

As far as purposefully targeting civilians. If Russia was purposefully targeting civilians why are they moving massive amounts of Ukrainians to Russia? Like why did they send the busses to move those people, is it because they're trying to conserve bullets lol? What's the point of killing kids? Like these assessments are full of logical holes.

You're not understanding their analysis. They are saying that Russia needs to ESCALATE in order to accomplish their objectives. Right now, Russia is INCAPABLE of accomplishing their objectives and we're at a stalemate. I've said this several times before: half a million troops should do the trick. In order to accomplish their objectives, they need to have CLEAN supply lines established in Belarus, Kursk, Rostov, and Crimea. How long did it take for Russia to amass the current amount of troops to those places? It took over a year. You can't just teleport all these supplies.

This is a Washington think tank that is full of people who understand and have fought wars. What's your alternative? Should we listen to people who haven't fought in wars?
Gold: 2,170.00
Quote (Norlander @ Mar 20 2022 05:23pm)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Ukrainians

Locals use n-word and call them black. Wikipedia says it's not offensive. No, it actually is.

because you say so :)))
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 20 2022 12:33pm
Quote (SanduLungu @ 20 Mar 2022 18:30)
because you say so :)))

yeah but "you say so" too + shitmulti, and Tanks are very close now, so ?
Gold: 26,714.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 20 2022 12:33pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 20 2022 06:22pm)

its like any media, take what you can from it but you dont have to agree on everything provided. to my mind that site provides a degree of fact but it then does sermonise (as does most media).

Quote (thundercock @ Mar 20 2022 06:30pm)
You're not understanding their analysis. They are saying that Russia needs to ESCALATE in order to accomplish their objectives. Right now, Russia is INCAPABLE of accomplishing their objectives and we're at a stalemate. I've said this several times before: half a million troops should do the trick. In order to accomplish their objectives, they need to have CLEAN supply lines established in Belarus, Kursk, Rostov, and Crimea. How long did it take for Russia to amass the current amount of troops to those places? It took over a year. You can't just teleport all these supplies.

This is a Washington think tank that is full of people who understand and have fought wars. What's your alternative? Should we listen to people who haven't fought in wars?

all of your posts on this page are very good.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 20 2022 12:37pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12252262272282294487Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll