d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1184518461847184818494475Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 175,091.69
Warn: 10%
Dec 15 2022 03:39pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 16 2022 12:38am)
anyways if we are still on Pard at 2029. there will be a new topic.

China / Taiwan

And I will suggest ^Ferdia to start the topic.

I can already see the comments:
Oh evil Chinese taking back Hong Kong which the British invaded, and colonized a different race 10000km away, because Chinese didn't want them selling opium and destroying their people anymore.

Evil ching chongs at it again with taiwan

This post was edited by ownyaah on Dec 15 2022 03:40pm
Gold: 47,079.00
Dec 15 2022 03:44pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 15 2022 09:38pm)
anyways if we are still on Pard at 2029. there will be a new topic.

China / Taiwan

And I will suggest ^Ferdia to start the topic.

i just made a topic, im on 3 topic's no more topic from me for a while haha.
Dec 15 2022 03:45pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Dec 16 2022 12:39am)
Size isn't very relevant here. They belong to NATO, and they would invoke article 5. If NATO were to ignore the occupation of the Baltics, NATO effectively ceases to exist. That might be the fantasy of some Russian internet planners, but it's not something that NATO is going to countenance.

Let me ask you a simple question: Do you think NATO reaction would be same if Russian/Chinese empire in 2050 invaded Germany or Estonia?

For starters, NATO response is written in a way where they could get away with "just" supplying weapons, as "sufficient" means.

Secondly, International agreements, defensive agreements whatever(any agreements between countries) aren't as binding as you think they are. History is filled to the brim with examples where nations in the end act in their own self-interests, or through a geopolitical lenses.

Viewing some piece of agreement as some sort of god-written, god-backed and timeless agreement is beyond ridiculous, as proven by history time and time again.

This post was edited by ownyaah on Dec 15 2022 03:45pm
Dec 15 2022 03:46pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 15 2022 09:13pm)
Absolute nonsense.

if it helps i would reframe my comments to: Putin believes he is trying to protect the Russia (read: USSR) sphere of influence. i am not saying he is doing that, I am saying he perceives he is doing this. i said this before and you said it was nonsense then so i really dont mind agreeing to disagree.

Gold: 46,068.00
Dec 15 2022 03:49pm
Quote (ownyaah @ 16 Dec 2022 05:45)
Let me ask you a simple question: Do you think NATO reaction would be same if Russian/Chinese empire in 2050 invaded Germany or Estonia?

For starters, NATO response is written in a way where they could get away with "just" supplying weapons, as "sufficient" means.

Secondly, International agreements, defensive agreements whatever(any agreements between countries) aren't as binding as you think they are. History is filled to the brim with examples where nations in the end act in their own self-interests, or through a geopolitical lenses.

Viewing some piece of agreement as some sort of god-written, god-backed and timeless agreement is beyond ridiculous, as proven by history time and time again.

Last question before i sleep....half drunk.
Not sure if you use 9gag to laugh at memes.

for the past 1 week, the amount of Ukraine " propaganda" on 9gag have diminished about 95% .
Not sure what is happening at the moment.

Palasan /Lvivz havent been spaming .. so maybe you might know some stuff on your end.
Dec 15 2022 03:49pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 16 2022 12:46am)
if it helps i would reframe my comments to: Putin believes he is trying to protect the Russia (read: USSR) sphere of influence. i am not saying he is doing that, I am saying he perceives he is doing this. i said this before and you said it was nonsense then so i really dont mind agreeing to disagree.

When I read your comments, I found your pedantic nature to be funny. Most people you are engaging in discussion with at pard are sewage people.

You could write "pee poop pee poop" in 90% of your comments and it still would be too pedantic for the occasion.
Dec 15 2022 03:50pm
Quote (ownyaah @ Dec 15 2022 09:49pm)
When I read your comments, I found your pedantic nature to be funny. Most people you are engaging in discussion with at pard are sewage people.

You could write "pee poop pee poop" in 90% of your comments and it still would be too pedantic for the occasion.

the world, and the forum, is what you make of it.
Dec 15 2022 03:50pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 16 2022 12:49am)
Last question before i sleep....half drunk.
Not sure if you use 9gag to laugh at memes.

for the past 1 week, the amount of Ukraine " propaganda" on 9gag have diminished about 95% .
Not sure what is happening at the moment.

Palasan /Lvivz havent been spaming .. so maybe you might know some stuff on your end.

Twitter Ukraine trends have also HEAVILY declined.

There has to be some sort of correlation LOL
Dec 15 2022 03:52pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 16 2022 12:50am)
the world, and the forum, is what you make of it.

Well, i respect your takes for the most part, even though I think you can be naive at times. But you engage in discussion for the right reasons, to learn or exchange ideas rather than impose like some deranged monkey. And you view conflicts through a somewhat unbiased lense, so that is refreshing.
Gold: 319.37
Dec 15 2022 04:07pm
Quote (ownyaah @ Dec 15 2022 04:45pm)

Bold - "Nations have no permanent friends and no permanent enemies, only permanent interests." Sure, so let's take a look at the interests.

Finland is a small, 5 million strong nation that historically fell within the bounds of the Russian Empire. What do you think their response to an invasion of the Baltics is going to be? They were concerned enough with the invasion of Ukraine to drop a policy of neutrality that had lasted for close to a hundred years. Sweden was concerned enough that it dropped a policy of neutrality that had lasted for 200 years. Poland is a 38 million strong nation that has spent the vast majority of the past ~150 years under the sway of the Russian Empire in some form or fashion. What is their attitude going to be with respect to renewed Russian aggression in the Baltics? The United States is the dominant military power in Europe. If we refer to Machiavelli's maxims on statecraft, should a large power (like the United States) seek to ally with small powers or other large powers? Machiavelli would say the small, it's almost always better to ally with powers that pose you no risk to the detriment of larger powers which do.

Russia has 143 million people. The former USSR has double that. Russia itself is not a threat to the United States in any meaningful sense of the word, on the other hand a renewed Russian Empire could be someday. And at the same time, Russia is an ideological ally to the Chinese, who represent the only realistic threat to American hegemony. I think the United States would be happy to be on good terms with Russia, but not on good terms with a Russia far stronger than it is today.

Besides all this, American credibility is on the line. If the United States does not defend NATO, then American credibility elsewhere is shattered. If the United States won't honor signed defensive pacts, is there any chance that they'd make a big deal over Taiwan? Japan?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1184518461847184818494475Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll