d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1181118121813181418154472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 8 2022 12:43pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 06:31pm)
The british have reconciled with loss of empire, thats the point.

Most of the people who literally had to experience that reconciliation, are likely dead or very elderly.

In Russia that is totally different. Your talking 1945-55 vs 1990-91

if that was the case successive british governments and media would not have railed against the eu for decades which culminated with brexit, in my opinion. i dont mind agreeing to disagree!
another analogy is british football fans thinking their team is brilliant and then being amazed when said team did not win the world cup ( i am rooting for them at the moment if this is any consolation. i really hope they beat france).

in the round normal people dont care for empre, governments and politicians do. therefore I would not be throwing this on the russian people, but rather putin and his cronies (re: empire), but whilst noting its my view that its not empire he seeks to reclaim but rather status quo he is seeking to maintain, albiet at the expense of a foreign countries (ukraine) liberties.

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 8 2022 12:43pm
Gold: 46,068.00
Dec 8 2022 12:56pm
Quote (ferdia @ 9 Dec 2022 02:43)
if that was the case successive british governments and media would not have railed against the eu for decades which culminated with brexit, in my opinion. i dont mind agreeing to disagree!
another analogy is british football fans thinking their team is brilliant and then being amazed when said team did not win the world cup ( i am rooting for them at the moment if this is any consolation. i really hope they beat france).

in the round normal people dont care for empre, governments and politicians do. therefore I would not be throwing this on the russian people, but rather putin and his cronies (re: empire), but whilst noting its my view that its not empire he seeks to reclaim but rather status quo he is seeking to maintain, albiet at the expense of a foreign countries (ukraine) liberties.

I hope they beat Africa.
The only reason Why I am rooting for England is because I am an ex colony subject. :lol:
Gold: 100,701.50
Dec 8 2022 12:58pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 7 2022 11:30pm)
Russia's offense had already been stopped before large-scale Western weapons supplies arrived. They are what turned around the momentum and allowed Ukraine to go on the counteroffense for a bit, but they are not what originally stopped Russia.

Russia has already mobilized 300k quite recently. It stabilized their front, but didn't give them back the initiative. It also didn't prevent Ukraine from taking back Kherson. Nor did it lead to the Bachmut front getting overrun.
And even with this mobilization, there was already noticeable dissent and grumbling in Russia. Drafting twice as many folks, most of them against their will, will neither be easy nor without risk for Putin. How much difference it will make in a spring offense will depend on the quality of the training these conscripts will receive over the winter. Spoiler: it will suck.

Russia and Ukraine are both sustaining heavy losses. With the big difference being that Ukraine is fighting for its survival while Russia is fighting to restore some vague sense of former glory.

Guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

I will surely not sift through 1800 pages to find specific quotes, lol.

And yes, as early as June, the prevailing take from the "Russia will still win"-faction here in this thread was something to the gist of "Russia might have underestimated Ukraine and botched the initial attack by going in with too few troops - but once they take things seriously, they will steamroll Ukraine".

Russia can still win? So you believe that they lost? You got to be joking. Ukraine can never win this confrontation and sadly Ukraine will be completely ruined after the West has fought to the last Ukrainian.

Secondly you've got no quotes of mine because the ones you need (to prove that I said stuff in June) are not there ;)

Like I said best you can do is post a quote of mine where I said at the beginning that it would be over in months (which would've been the best outcome)

That didn't happen because the West decided to pump Ukraine full of weapons and this dirt-poor and corrupt nation now has to fight the Russian juggernaut.

Well done NATO / EU
Gold: 32,517.50
Dec 8 2022 01:09pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 8 2022 06:43pm)

So kind of like "surely there is nothing wrong the EU system, that anyone could possibly want to leave" They must be raging empiricists :D

Moving on a tangent to my original point, but to deal with this quickly. There were likely many reasons for Brexit happening. Believing that one of them was the British government or media not having reconciled with the loss of the British empire, (something that arguably happened within a decade of WW2 ending, so some 70 years before Brexit) Shows a lack of understanding on Brexit happening.

More bluntly;
Brexit happening =/= a failure of british people, government or media to reconcile with loss of its empire some 70 years ago. A lifetime ago.

Invasion of Ukraine happening = a failure with some Russian people, the Russian dictator and its controlled media apparatus to reconcile with the collapse of the soviet union. Some 30 years ago. So what, 1-2 generations?

Dec 8 2022 01:12pm
Quote (Djunior @ Dec 8 2022 06:58pm)
Russia can still win? So you believe that they lost? You got to be joking. Ukraine can never win this confrontation and sadly Ukraine will be completely ruined after the West has fought to the last Ukrainian.

Secondly you've got no quotes of mine because the ones you need (to prove that I said stuff in June) are not there ;)

Like I said best you can do is post a quote of mine where I said at the beginning that it would be over in months (which would've been the best outcome)

That didn't happen because the West decided to pump Ukraine full of weapons and this dirt-poor and corrupt nation now has to fight the Russian juggernaut.

Well done NATO / EU

Is it a coping mechanism to deal with what Putin has done in the name of Russians. To blame NATO/West for what is happening in Ukraine?
Does it make it easier to live with the reality that Russia has tried and failed to take Ukraine, and now is firing missiles on civilian targets?

Honestly interested on what its like. Did have a chuckle at "Russian Juggernaut". Maybe "Paper Tiger" is more appropriate.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Dec 8 2022 01:12pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 8 2022 01:16pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Dec 2022 19:31)
The british have reconciled with loss of empire, thats the point.

Most of the people who literally had to experience that reconciliation, are likely dead or very elderly.

In Russia that is totally different. Your talking 1945-55 vs 1990-91

It's very, very, hardly comparable IMO. Here we are talking about a country on borders, speaking a very similar language, close ethnies etc..
It's not like India or Tchina
Dec 8 2022 01:24pm
Quote (Meanwhile @ Dec 8 2022 07:16pm)
It's very, very, hardly comparable IMO. Here we are talking about a country on borders, speaking a very similar language, close ethnies etc..
It's not like India or Tchina

Its not about the physical or literal parameters. its about the reconciliation or lack of. The coming to terms with a loss of something.

I think they are actually comparable in ways. The British Empire was the top world power for at least a century. The USSR was a top rival world power for multiple generations.
They both reached the upper echelon of world influence.

Brits has to come to terms with no longer being the dominant world power. The Russians had to accept something similar after 1991.

The main reason Russia is even part of the conversation now, is its access to hydrocarbons and the doubling of oil prices between 1990-2010

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Dec 8 2022 01:26pm
Gold: 100,701.50
Dec 8 2022 01:46pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 08:12pm)
Is it a coping mechanism to deal with what Putin has done in the name of Russians. To blame NATO/West for what is happening in Ukraine?
Does it make it easier to live with the reality that Russia has tried and failed to take Ukraine, and now is firing missiles on civilian targets?

Honestly interested on what its like. Did have a chuckle at "Russian Juggernaut". Maybe "Paper Tiger" is more appropriate.

You don't know what this is all about, lol?

Start here, that's 2008 https://www.nato.int/docu/update/2008/04-april/e0403h.html

NATO welcomes Georgia's and Ukraine's aspirations for membership

Next read up on Euromaidan (coup d'état). And watch this one

Congrats, you now know that NATO and EU started this shitfest.

Secondly, electricity / water etc are targets in war, you should check what the coalition did to Iraqi infrastructure for example. Oh right, no one cares ^^

And a paper tiger? You have no idea. I suggest you stop watching Western MSM
Dec 8 2022 02:00pm
"And a paper tiger? You have no idea."
The whole world has just seen what Russia has to offer, and well. I can understand it is embarrassing.

The way you post its like NATO's finger is on the trigger. One man started this war, and one man can end it.
But whatever helps you reconcile with Putin's war.

Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 8 2022 02:03pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 07:09pm)
...More bluntly;
Brexit happening =/= a failure of british people, government or media to reconcile with loss of its empire some 70 years ago. A lifetime ago.

Invasion of Ukraine happening = a failure with some Russian people, the Russian dictator and its controlled media apparatus to reconcile with the collapse of the soviet union. Some 30 years ago. So what, 1-2 generations?

broadly i dont disagree but the nuance here is its collapse of the soviet union and encroachment of another military block on their doorstep. and i must be at pains to state that regardless of said military blocks positon "but we are only a defensive military alliance". russia sees it as a perceived threat, ergo pre-emptive strike occured.

and again, all, in my opinion/

Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 08:00pm)
"And a paper tiger? You have no idea."
The whole world has just seen what Russia has to offer, and well. I can understand it is embarrassing.

The way you post its like NATO's finger is on the trigger. One man started this war, and one man can end it.
But whatever helps you reconcile with Putin's war.

in the crudest form, the war was started by vladimir putin, but from a geopolitical standpoint this war was a long time coming and it was no russian that steered us here.

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 8 2022 02:06pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1181118121813181418154472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll